[NL20-NL50] KJo 3b

• GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      iPoker - $0.50 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 162.24 BB (VPIP: 21.14, PFR: 17.89, 3Bet Preflop: 17.24, Hands: 127)
      UTG: 34.5 BB (VPIP: 18.00, PFR: 15.95, 3Bet Preflop: 4.66, Hands: 503)
      MP: 37.5 BB (VPIP: 20.24, PFR: 18.45, 3Bet Preflop: 6.06, Hands: 171)
      CO: 78.68 BB (VPIP: 16.70, PFR: 14.58, 3Bet Preflop: 6.94, Hands: 1,118)
      BTN: 108.96 BB (VPIP: 24.37, PFR: 21.29, 3Bet Preflop: 12.00, Hands: 371)
      Hero (SB): 120 BB

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has J:heart: K:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to 2 BB, Hero raises to 8 BB, fold, BTN calls 6 BB

Flop: (17 BB, 2 players) 6:club: Q:diamond: 3:spade:
      Hero bets 10 BB, BTN raises to 21 BB, Hero calls 11 BB

Turn: (59 BB, 2 players) 8:heart:
      Hero checks, BTN checks

River: (59 BB, 2 players) A:heart:
      Hero bets 15 BB, fold

Hero shows J:heart: K:diamond: (High Card, Ace)
      Hero wins 56.06 BB

He steals 73% bu, and folds 30% to 3bet from bu, so his range is wide.

When he minraises me I see it as bluff, and was planing to minraise him on turn, but I guess it is a very bad hand and a bad plan. I just didnt want to give up so easily vs his min raise and wide range.
      Is it ok bet so small river, because he could have Ax and would call it no matter what size is and would fold air anyway.
  • 3 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey,

What would your calling range on the flop be in such a spot? Your analysis makes sense but I also dislike your hand selection a bit. River sizing is fine. Once he checks turn he usually has a weak hadn so you would bet this size with your good hands as well imo, he is unlikely to call so you give better odds so you should have a good betting range on the river when it comes to value with that size but KJo might be too wide as a bluff range unless you know he actually is capped when he raises there. Definitely possible, do you think it's likely he always slowplays a monster or a good bluffcatcher?
    • GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      Hey,

What would your calling range on the flop be in such a spot? Your analysis makes sense but I also dislike your hand selection a bit. River sizing is fine. Once he checks turn he usually has a weak hadn so you would bet this size with your good hands as well imo, he is unlikely to call so you give better odds so you should have a good betting range on the river when it comes to value with that size but KJo might be too wide as a bluff range unless you know he actually is capped when he raises there. Definitely possible, do you think it's likely he always slowplays a monster or a good bluffcatcher?
      I dont know particulary if he slowplays monsters, but I think 99% of people slowplay monsters in 3bet pot on a dry board. It also doesnt make much sense to raise Qx, since he should be afraid that I have KK+, and he is better to let me bluff more street, but off course there are also people who raise AQ on such a board.
      So this is thea reason I called his raise, I was sure it was a bluff, but I am not sure what is the best way to win the hand if I am sure he is bluffing? Is it better 3bet flop min?

I usually check with KQ, QJ on this board, also JJ, TT, 99 and similar.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by GingerKid
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      Hey,

I dont know particulary if he slowplays monsters, but I think 99% of people slowplay monsters in 3bet pot on a dry board. It also doesnt make much sense to raise Qx, since he should be afraid that I have KK+, and he is better to let me bluff more street, but off course there are also people who raise AQ on such a board.
      So this is thea reason I called his raise, I was sure it was a bluff, but I am not sure what is the best way to win the hand if I am sure he is bluffing? Is it better 3bet flop min?

I usually check with KQ, QJ on this board, also JJ, TT, 99 and similar.
      No, I think calling will be fine. His range is so weak you will represent a better hand when calling than when min3betting imo and you also risk less. I think he will give up often enough after you call since it looks strong and you risk less with more info on the river. Also, wanted to bring it up.. how much showdown value to you think you have? :f_biggrin: Seems to me you are also good quite often but betting is more plus EV to make him fold smaller pairs.