what game would you start playing now?

• tolari
      tolari
      Black
      as in topic, what game type: CG, SNG, MTT and what game would play and learn if you were to start now. (assuming you have solid expierience with poker overall)

which games give highest hourly and have best potential in your opinion?

for hourly discussion lets assume a bankroll of 10k$ and a conservative brm
  • 7 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      This is such an individual thing.

This afternoon I read a post from a member who hated cash games, and was going back to SnG.

I hate SnG, and play cash except for big MTTs when the mood strikes -- and if I can play w/ OPM

In the last year, I have been playing all of the non-holdem variants just to learn them.

Games like Razz, Badugi, NL 2-7 Single Draw, Stud and so-on.
      If you take the time to learn them the fields are soft, but studded with a few stars that are reasonably easy to avoid.

My favourite is FL 5-Card Draw.
      If I was starting out, I would use that to build my BR, then branch out.

I'll be interested to hear what others say, though...
      --VS
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      I'd probably go with PLO cash as it's more fish friendly than NLHE and more complex too so I think it has more of a potential of staying healthy for many years to come. Tho PLO cash rake is absurd now tho, but I expect changes regarding that at some time in few upcoming years.
    • harryden
      harryden
      Basic
      Originally posted by tolari
      as in topic, what game type: CG, SNG, MTT and what game would play and learn if you were to start now. (assuming you have solid expierience with poker overall)

which games give highest hourly and have best potential in your opinion?

for hourly discussion lets assume a bankroll of 10k$ and a conservative brm
      I would like to learn poker game because I'm new in gambling world..Have played poker a lot of time with friends only for fun but not for real money...I want to learn poker as a professional way!! Can I??
    • PFPRlakeisha
      PFPRlakeisha
      Bronze
      Hey Harry,

I am a novice at poker too but I learned through this forum and finally took the quiz :) It's easy to learn poker if you have the determination to do so. I think your best bet is to read the articles in this site as well as look at some online poker training videos (easily obtained on YouTube). You can also download the PokerStars poker app on your laptop/desktop and start playing play-money.

It took me 2 months to understand the basics and though I am not a professional, I somehow do manage to steal a lot of blinds; only play-money though :)

Hope that helps!
    • vuciitis
      vuciitis
      Bronze
      if u can push high volume and handle mentally huge swings then 6max hypers are awesome. the downside is its pretty robotic, boring and super variance heavy, but u can get huge $/H and potentionally the easiest way to get SNE.
    • BobbyCrosby
      BobbyCrosby
      Bronze
      I agree that this is a very individual thing. Even with a lot of study, sometimes you're simply better at certain games than others, and you should play the games that you're best at to make the most money. In general, though, if you're a decent Omaha player, I'd agree with NightFrostaSS. PLO cash gets a lot of fish because it's a fun game and it seems very similar to Hold'em, drawing people in.
    • Calzo94
      Calzo94
      Basic
      I enjoy playing cash games but I can't seem to make money at them, maybe just not suited for me although if I had the opportunity to start from scratch at poker I would play cash games. I mostly play 6 players SnGs (Not turbo, super turbo etc). I prefer the blinds going up at a slower rate, 7 or 8 mins per blind, and the majority of the time I at least get my money back. Also like playing the small buy in tourneys with a large prize pool as I can usually go pretty deep and cash!

I'm keen to learn how to play Omaha at some point as it looks fun and from reading it's possible to make a decent profit if you study it enough!