BB ($2.78)
      UTG ($1.55)
      Hero ($4.06)
      UTG+2 ($4.30)
      MP1 ($2.43)
      CO ($0.96)
      BTN ($4)

Dealt to Hero Q:diamond: Q:heart:

UTG calls $0.04, Hero raises to $0.16, fold, fold, fold, BTN calls $0.16, fold, fold, fold

FLOP ($0.42) J:heart: 9:club: K:heart:

Hero bets $0.24, BTN calls $0.24

TURN ($0.90) J:heart: 9:club: K:heart: J:diamond:

Hero checks, BTN checks

RIVER ($0.90) J:heart: 9:club: K:heart: J:diamond: Q:spade:

Hero bets $0.64, BTN folds

Hero shows Q:diamond: Q:heart:

Hero wins $0.86

I isoraise the limper(58/0 over 65 hands) for value and get called by the BU

I cbet on the flop...draws could call here, so can Kx though

The turn is another J, if he called me with Jx here I am likely to just value bet myself here, also if he called with Kx I am behind...so I just checked in hopes of getting it to showdown cheap...

I hit winner on the river so I bet for value...allot of hands here will call and allot of hands that are strong but weaker than mine will raise here, which I hope for (straight draws that got there, KJ, J9, Jx maybe)

not sure if I played this right on the flop...it would seem weak from me to just check it since I was also opening from EP
  • 2 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey HrabriLavek,

Preflop iso is fine.

Checking flop is not necessarily "weak". Your intention would be to check/call. Check calling allows villain to bet with most of the range he'd call with but also wider because he can turn hands like 22-88 and low SC's into a bluff which he may otherwise be snap folding to a cbet. Nothing too wrong with a bet, I slightly prefer check/call on this texture.

The other downside to cbet is that you are in a really awkward spot when you check the turn. You can rarely barrel QQ and your range ends up looking weak when you check turn - even though checking is probably the best option.

Best river play might actually be to check. Villain is going to bet all his boats/Tx anyway. He usually wouldn't raise a Tx vs this size bet on a paired board but may end up paying off a check-raise. Betting river a lot smaller is another option to increase value, you increase your chances of getting paid by very weak hands while simultaneously increasing the chance that villain raises with a Tx and stronger.
    • HrabriLavek
      HrabriLavek
      Bronze
      Originally posted by w34z3l
      Hey HrabriLavek,

Preflop iso is fine.

Checking flop is not necessarily "weak". Your intention would be to check/call. Check calling allows villain to bet with most of the range he'd call with but also wider because he can turn hands like 22-88 and low SC's into a bluff which he may otherwise be snap folding to a cbet. Nothing too wrong with a bet, I slightly prefer check/call on this texture.

The other downside to cbet is that you are in a really awkward spot when you check the turn. You can rarely barrel QQ and your range ends up looking weak when you check turn - even though checking is probably the best option.

Best river play might actually be to check. Villain is going to bet all his boats/Tx anyway. He usually wouldn't raise a Tx vs this size bet on a paired board but may end up paying off a check-raise. Betting river a lot smaller is another option to increase value, you increase your chances of getting paid by very weak hands while simultaneously increasing the chance that villain raises with a Tx and stronger.
      thanks for the tip...agreed with the river play here, he is most likely to bet here since I checked the turn before too...