This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] QQ on EP

• HrabriLavek
      HrabriLavek
      Bronze
      Villain is 28/6 AF 0.5 over 100 hands

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.04(BB) Replayer
      SB ($4.56)
      BB ($2.78)
      UTG ($1.55)
      Hero ($4.06)
      UTG+2 ($4.30)
      MP1 ($2.43)
      CO ($0.96)
      BTN ($4)

Dealt to Hero Q:diamond: Q:heart:

UTG calls $0.04, Hero raises to $0.16, fold, fold, fold, BTN calls $0.16, fold, fold, fold

FLOP ($0.42) J:heart: 9:club: K:heart:

Hero bets $0.24, BTN calls $0.24

TURN ($0.90) J:heart: 9:club: K:heart: J:diamond:

Hero checks, BTN checks

RIVER ($0.90) J:heart: 9:club: K:heart: J:diamond: Q:spade:

Hero bets $0.64, BTN folds

Hero shows Q:diamond: Q:heart:

Hero wins $0.86

I isoraise the limper(58/0 over 65 hands) for value and get called by the BU

I cbet on the flop...draws could call here, so can Kx though

The turn is another J, if he called me with Jx here I am likely to just value bet myself here, also if he called with Kx I am behind...so I just checked in hopes of getting it to showdown cheap...

I hit winner on the river so I bet for value...allot of hands here will call and allot of hands that are strong but weaker than mine will raise here, which I hope for (straight draws that got there, KJ, J9, Jx maybe)

not sure if I played this right on the flop...it would seem weak from me to just check it since I was also opening from EP
  • 2 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey HrabriLavek,

Preflop iso is fine.

Checking flop is not necessarily "weak". Your intention would be to check/call. Check calling allows villain to bet with most of the range he'd call with but also wider because he can turn hands like 22-88 and low SC's into a bluff which he may otherwise be snap folding to a cbet. Nothing too wrong with a bet, I slightly prefer check/call on this texture.

The other downside to cbet is that you are in a really awkward spot when you check the turn. You can rarely barrel QQ and your range ends up looking weak when you check turn - even though checking is probably the best option.

Best river play might actually be to check. Villain is going to bet all his boats/Tx anyway. He usually wouldn't raise a Tx vs this size bet on a paired board but may end up paying off a check-raise. Betting river a lot smaller is another option to increase value, you increase your chances of getting paid by very weak hands while simultaneously increasing the chance that villain raises with a Tx and stronger.
    • HrabriLavek
      HrabriLavek
      Bronze
      Originally posted by w34z3l
      Hey HrabriLavek,

Preflop iso is fine.

Checking flop is not necessarily "weak". Your intention would be to check/call. Check calling allows villain to bet with most of the range he'd call with but also wider because he can turn hands like 22-88 and low SC's into a bluff which he may otherwise be snap folding to a cbet. Nothing too wrong with a bet, I slightly prefer check/call on this texture.

The other downside to cbet is that you are in a really awkward spot when you check the turn. You can rarely barrel QQ and your range ends up looking weak when you check turn - even though checking is probably the best option.

Best river play might actually be to check. Villain is going to bet all his boats/Tx anyway. He usually wouldn't raise a Tx vs this size bet on a paired board but may end up paying off a check-raise. Betting river a lot smaller is another option to increase value, you increase your chances of getting paid by very weak hands while simultaneously increasing the chance that villain raises with a Tx and stronger.
      thanks for the tip...agreed with the river play here, he is most likely to bet here since I checked the turn before too...