Should we go outside nash ranges?

• Darkyd10
      Darkyd10
      Bronze
      So we all train ourselves to be as close to nash as possible, given the right ranges we give our oponents. For that we use calculators and keep on trying to emulate them ingame

But what i wanna ask here is what happens if we step outside of nash

Example: You do a shove that is -0.10ev longrun. That would mean that in the longrun itll lose us 0.10% of prizepool or so i think (feel free to correct)

But every round the blinds will always lose ev and well always gain. In the end it all ends in a 0 sum.

Its also of most ppl knowledge that if we let blinds by we lose ev in the tourney definitivly. Should we account for the blinds pass and make -ev shoves and plays that might lose some ev but not as much as the blinds pass

Its already general knowledge -ev moves shud be made to get +ev spots in future but that so far only beeing used in money plays.

But should we account the blinds pass and do always little -ev shoves/calls to account for blinds? Should we only do -ev shoves when were short and blinds passing actually hurts our ev in the tourney alot? How much -ev should we be taking?

Discussion open :P
  • 2 replies
    • zilltine
      zilltine
      Bronze
      i`m not STT player, but one thing is for sure. Playing nash is almost never best expectation.

1) Nash shows you perfect solution to "toy game" where your actions are limited to push or fold. However we do not play toy game. We have options to limp, mr/f, mr/c etc. Ofc its easier and less demanding to get yourself into box and choose between 2 decisions (especially if you are 16-tabling). I`m quite confident that if reg would utilize minraising and limping 8bb deep he would gain significant edge over regs playing push or fold.

2) Nash is best in our mini push or fold game only when others are playing nash. If you ever find yourself into this situation you should table select better.
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      I think zilltine's 2nd point says it all. I don't agree with everything in point one though.

To the original question, I try to talk a lot about this on my coachings. Nash is only perfect against Nash. Ask it if you are there next time and I'll answer it as precisely as I can :)