Bronze
      Button ($24.94)
      SB ($10)
      Hero (BB) ($20.91)
      UTG ($24.19)
      MP ($6.27)
      CO ($11.98)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J, Q
      1 fold, MP bets $0.30, 1 fold, Button calls $0.30, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.95) J, 7, 5 (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.60, 1 fold, Button calls $0.60

Turn: ($2.15) 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.10, Button calls $1.10

River: ($4.35) A (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.80, 1 fold

Total pot: $4.35 | Rake: $0.20

I'm happy with my play (Pre)Flop and Turn but I'm not sure if my River decision was so nice. I bet because I didn't like to get bluffed. Would you prefer ch/f or ch/c up to 1/2 potsize?
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Jazzy,

Preflop: I'm not a huge fan of calling a weaker offsuite broadway OOP. It's hard for us to do much when we miss which is often.

Postflop: Do we have any info on the opponents? MP may be fishy given his stack but we can't assume anything about the BTN.

As played what do we really get value from with on the river? Betting to not get bluffed is not really a reason for betting. And if you checked to him what hands can he bluff with? What calls two streets that can bluff river? Almost nothing as there are no flush draws or even straight draws.
    • jazzy29
      jazzy29
      Bronze
      No, unknown.
      Pre I thought 2BB for a 9,5BB pot should be OK with QJ. Maybe If I call it pre I should rather play for monsters and don't overplay a dominated Q or J?
      Do you think even for good players with lots of edge on their opponents this is a -EV spot?

Ok, so you would play the River ch/f ? Now as I think about it, there are not many hands that he can turn into a bluff. He has to suspect that I'm holding AJ or maybe a set, so if he has no made hand that got me beat anyways, he will unlikely bluff the River.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by jazzy29
      No, unknown.
      Pre I thought 2BB for a 9,5BB pot should be OK with QJ. Maybe If I call it pre I should rather play for monsters and don't overplay a dominated Q or J?
      Do you think even for good players with lots of edge on their opponents this is a -EV spot?

Ok, so you would play the River ch/f ? Now as I think about it, there are not many hands that he can turn into a bluff. He has to suspect that I'm holding AJ or maybe a set, so if he has no made hand that got me beat anyways, he will unlikely bluff the River.
      Exactly, he will mostly check all worse behind and only bet better. Our small bet can also induce bluffs too which is not great.

Given that you have no information on the opponents I think that our edge is minimal. You have to look at what hands you can flop and how you would continue.

You only get OESD 8-10% of the time, and the rest is some weaker pairs and you are playing OOP. A lot of your play will be fit/fold just checking and giving up.