Hi :)

• KeshiheadAA
      KeshiheadAA
      Bronze
      Hi, my name's Keshihead (the AA is just to make my nickname more...'poker-y' :D )

I'm based in the United Kingdom, and I've been playing poker on and off for a few years now. I have mainly stuck around play money tables for a long while to help me gain practice in the game as well as having a VERY limited bankroll due to being out of work, and I have been taking part in tournament series run by a good friend of mine on a website known as Bother's Bar, which is a game show website primarily but he also organises 2 poker tournaments throughout the year. The main one is the BSOP (Bother Series of Poker) which is played for real money, and last year he introduced Mix It Up Real Good for people to play for free with the overall winner getting a trophy. Mix It Up Real Good (or MIURG as I shall call it from now on) plays all the OTHER variants of poker that PokerStars has such as Stud, Omaha, Razz and Badugi. Through taking part in this tournament series, I have found out which games suit me best based on my finishing positions.

Recently, I deposited some money into PS ($20 which works out at around £12) and played some ring games to gain FPPs, and I was made aware of the PS/FTP linking promotion, where you got $40 of tickets for free. I used the 2 $5 ring game tickets to build up a small bankroll (only $33 I ended up with, but it's a start!) and I am now thinking of playing freeroll tournaments to win some money on the side. I took part in a Stud Hi/Lo tournament a few days ago with close to 5000 players in it. The top 64 got tickets to Round 2 with a $2,000 prize pool. For the most part, I was doing well, but ended up going out in 103rd, which is a rather good result, but felt like running the 100m at the Olympics and tripping up as you're about to cross the finish line. I'm hoping to carry on playing in freerolls to improve on my skills and hopefully get to the point where I can make some profit for myself.
  • 5 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hey KeshiheadAA,

Welcome to the community and thank you for so a nice introduction!

Looks like you have a solid plan going forward which is VERY important and should not be underestimated!

What is your favourite type of poker then?

Regards,
      Gary.
    • KeshiheadAA
      KeshiheadAA
      Bronze
      Thank you for the welcome, Gary :)

At the moment, my favourite game is Stud Hi/Lo because of that tournament result I stated, and that when we played it in MIURG, I won! It was the first time I'd ever won an event, my previous best being 2nd in Badugi, and that win has me in 3rd place overall with only 1 point between me and 2nd place and 15 points separating me from 1st.

But of course, I do enjoy playing Hold'em as well, the Cadillac of Poker as it's sometimes known :D
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Yes I enjoy Stud but never really played Hi/Lo as it gets far too confusing for a simpleton like me :D :D :D
    • KeshiheadAA
      KeshiheadAA
      Bronze
      That was the whole reason that MIURG was set up, to see how you do outside of your comfort zone, playing games other than Hold'em. Once you get an idea for what hands you can make, the game seems to click well. If you can't make a high hand, try for a low one and get half the pot! :D As long as you have 5 cards 8 or less with no pairs, that's a Lo hand. Some poker clients give you a readout to tell you what hands you have which can be a big help, but it doesn't seem to enable that in tournaments, maybe it's just a thing that the Home Games section of PokerStars has.

I do dabble in a bit of Badugi as well, which can be another hard game to get the hang of. You basically get 4 cards and 3 draws to make the lowest hand you can but with a twist, all the cards have to be of all 4 suits and the ranks of the cards must all be different too! An example of the nuts would be Ah 2c 3d 4s: no cards pair, they're all low and they're all different suits.

I mainly play poker for the learning experience, and if I can win anything off it, then it's a bonus. I think that if there's money to be made in poker, then I'd like at least some of it to come my way ;) And with all the help and tutorials to be found on this here site, then that sounds like a decent possibility.

How I found this site is a simple story, I was looking through my TV channels to find something to watch and the advert for pokerfree10 caught my eye, to which I thought "Hmm, answer a poker quiz and get some free poker money? Why not! I know a bit about poker, so I'll give it a go!", and here I am! :D
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      And it's great to have you here :)

I like playing Stud or Omaha to take a break from No Limit every now and then. Never played Badugi at all but it seems like it might be a little bit of fun :D