Sleep all day - Poker all night

• Berra
      Berra
      Bronze
      Welcome
      Hi and welcome. This PokerStrategy.com seems to be a nice place so I better start a little blog here.

About me
      City: JKPG
      Born: 1973
      Addictions: Coca Cola

About my poker
      I play No-Limit Hold'em and mostly cashgames. My bankroll is nothing to brag about hence you will find me at the low-stakes tables.
      Strengths: Good money management and I rarely go on tilt.
      Weaknesses: Bad position awareness and missing some aggression postflop.

About this blog
      I have accounts on loads of sites but since I recently started on Party Poker through this site so will this blog focus on my play there. There will probably also be some posts about other poker topics and happenings in the world of poker. Will try to post every day and will include the results of the day.

My alias at Party Poker is HP49G say hi if you see me on the tables.

Gonna eat some meatballs now and will play a little after that. Will be back soon with an update.

/Regards Berra
  • 96 replies
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      A Swede! I think you have a psychological advantage due Scandinavians are tough to beat as they are aware of everything and never rush things :)

I wish you the best of all luck! I will say Hi whenever I see you.

What limit do you play and which strategy(BSS/SSS/SH/SNG)?

Are meatballs common in the Swedish Cuisine ? As Ive saw them in the iKea sometime..
    • Berra
      Berra
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gerv
      A Swede! I think you have a psychological advantage due Scandinavians are tough to beat as they are aware of everything and never rush things :)

I wish you the best of all luck! I will say Hi whenever I see you.

What limit do you play and which strategy(BSS/SSS/SH/SNG)?

Are meatballs common in the Swedish Cuisine ? As Ive saw them in the iKea sometime..
      I play up to NL $2/4 but that play is on poker sites not connected to PokerStrategy.com. I will mostly blog about play connected to this site because I figure that is what people here wants to read about. I just recently started out on PartyPoker with the "free $150 cash offer" and I am still fooling around on the lowest limits. Will slowly climb upwards if everything works out as planned.

I have not read so many articles here yet so I am not familiar with the abbreviations BSS/SSS/SH/SNG. But i prefer to play at 6-max cash tables and I always buy-in for the maximum allowed. Hope that answers your question.

Meatballs is a very common everday food here in Sweden. But the most popular dish is Falukorv which is a cheap big sausage made from the worst meat on the pigs ;)
    • Berra
      Berra
      Bronze
      Thursday
      This was a very lazy day for me but I managed to play 299 hands at Party. I am currently playing the the lowest tables which means NL $0.02/0.04. Many players there who do not really know what they are doing at all. Let's look at a hand from today that illustrates this.

Preflop: I limp with 7 :club: 6 :club:

Flop: K :club: 2 :club: 4 :club: - pretty nice flop giving me a flush

One players moves all-in directly which means a big overbet. There was like 0.16 in the pot and he throws in 2.54. Everyone folds and I call.

Turn: T :spade:

River: 9 :spade:

Showdown: Me(7 :club: 6 :club:) K-high flush - Opponent(K :spade: Q :spade:) pair of kings

That player should do a little thinking about how to act when possibly being way behind in a hand. He now managed to play the hand in the worst possible way.

Gonna sleep a little now and then try to get up and watch the opening ceremony of the Olympics.

/Regards Berra

Party Poker results
      Results since last update: +$5.44
      Total winnings: $148.33
    • Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Silver
      Nice to see you are starting a blog, but I don't get it why you are playing the microlimits when u were able to beat NL200 and NL400, just transfer the money to PP :D

So you are Swedish with a lack of aggression? Are u kidding? :)
    • Berra
      Berra
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Zeffke
      Nice to see you are starting a blog, but I don't get it why you are playing the microlimits when u were able to beat NL200 and NL400, just transfer the money to PP :D

So you are Swedish with a lack of aggression? Are u kidding? :)
      Well I do play at higher levels also but it is not like I crush the NL400 tables. Still much to learn :P

I have not cleared the entire $150 start-up bonus at PP yet but it is not impossible that I transfer some part of my real bankroll to PP later on.
    • Berra
      Berra
      Bronze
      Multitabling
      Have played a little on PartyPoker again (592 hands today). I usually sit at 4-6 tables at the same time. This works pretty good if I use Hold'em Manager. I really recommend using some kind of tracking-software when multitabling. I myself misses loads of reads on people as soon as I play more than one table. Tried a little while with 9 tables today. But it was a bit much for me. Gonna stick to 6 tables in the future.

Almost managed to get up to the start of the Olympics. It started 13:50 Swedish time and I usually get up around 16:00 so it was very early for me. It was a nice opening ceremony in my opinion. I don't really like sports but the opening of the Olympics is fun to watch. This means that the Olympics is over for me now. Looking forward to the next one in four years :D (two years actually but the winter games does not really count).

/Regards Berra

PartyPoker results
      Results since last update: +$5.18
      Total winnings: $153.51
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Hi Berra and welcome at PokerStrategy.

Nice to see you blogging. It seems that you know what you are doing. I hope to see you around. Maybe you start posting some hands in our hand evaluation forum for NL: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1387

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
    • straddler71
      straddler71
      Global
      Hey berra. Welcome to party, I also play there and on the same level. I checked my poker software and we have never met up on a table yet. When we do I'll say hi. My id is straddler71. You probably won't make much money off me though, sorry. How are the meatballs?

When do you find the tables most profitable? For me it would be early afternoon. Haven't played in the mornings and at night I can't seem to make much money, tables are too tight.
    • Berra
      Berra
      Bronze
      Originally posted by straddler71
      Hey berra. Welcome to party, I also play there and on the same level. I checked my poker software and we have never met up on a table yet. When we do I'll say hi. My id is straddler71. You probably won't make much money off me though, sorry. How are the meatballs?

When do you find the tables most profitable? For me it would be early afternoon. Haven't played in the mornings and at night I can't seem to make much money, tables are too tight.
      Hi straddler. The tables tend to be loose early in the morning and then I mean very early like around 5 in the morning. Many strange people (like me :) ) playing then. But afternoons are good to it is probably because it suites many hobby players to play at this time when they get home from work. A good thing on PartyPoker is that there are always many tables to choose from. Can always switch to another table if there are to few bad players at the current one.

Will watch out for you on the tables!
    • Berra
      Berra
      Bronze
      Doping
      Since it is Olympic time it is also doping time. I have not read all the fine prints rules that comply at PartyPoker but I seriously doubt there is anything about doping in them. This means that I can probably use any drugs that I want that will help me improve on the tables.

I don't know much about drugs but luckily for me I do have a TV. (Please do not tell anyone about my TV because I have never paid the fee that you must pay in Sweden if you own a TV.) On the TV was the show called Brainiac. In this episode they tested if it was true that you get smart by eating fish. They made a guy eat nothing but fish for a month. His IQ went from 95 to 112 :P I don't really like fish but I will go out on the shady streets in pursue of these little beauties:

Fish liver oil FTW! ;)

/Regards Berra

PartyPoker results
      Results since last update: +$4.44
      Total winnings: $157.95
    • Berra
      Berra
      Bronze
      On the road

Have moved to Gothenburg for a few days to visit a friend. The plan is to grind lots o poker during my stay here. There will not be any play on PartyPoker because we are gonna use my friends account at Fatbet Poker.

Just got up, gonna eat something now and then the grind begins. Wish me luck!

/Regards Berra

GG (Gothenburg Grind)
      Starting bankroll: €1187
      Cash game hands played: 0
      MTT played: 0
      SNG played:0
    • Berra
      Berra
      Bronze
      First grind day
      The first day of grinding is over for me and my friend. Loads of poker and it paid of pretty good :) Ended up in the money in 2 multi table tournaments. Played pretty much on cash tables and won there too. And finally two sit'n'go which we won.

The total winnings this day was 323 euro. So now we have some money to lose tomorrow when the grind continues :D

/Regards Berra

GG (Gothenburg Grind)
      Current bankroll: €1510
      Cash game hands played: 3662
      MTT played: 5
      SNG played: 2
      Days of grinding: 1 (of 4)
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      lol brainiac, that show is such a joke

the IQ test results are obviously because the guy knew what the questions were and had one month to think about them. Also, don't underestimate the placebo effect of any performance enhancer or drug (or whatever else), that test means nothing ;)

have fun grinding :)
    • Berra
      Berra
      Bronze
      Originally posted by swissmoumout
      lol brainiac, that show is such a joke

the IQ test results are obviously because the guy knew what the questions were and had one month to think about them. Also, don't underestimate the placebo effect of any performance enhancer or drug (or whatever else), that test means nothing ;)

have fun grinding :)
      Man I who justed started to feel smarter after taking my first pills. Well at least Santa Claus is for real.
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      I like your style
    • Berra
      Berra
      Bronze
      Small plus
      Played pretty much today (Tuesday) but did not win as good compared to yesterday. Overplayed top-pair-top-kicker a couple of times, fishy X(

Ended up going 32 euro plus. Well well we where behind most of the day so at least it is something.

/Regards Berra

GG (Gothenburg Grind)
      Current bankroll: €1542
      Cash game hands played: 6898
      MTT played: 7
      SNG played: 2
      Days of grinding: 2 (of 4)
    • Berra
      Berra
      Bronze
      A bit tired now
      Have continued to grind all day at my friends place in Gothenburg. Getting a bit tired of poker now. Tomorrow is the last day and I will then travel home on Friday.

We won almost 200 euro today on NL50 and NL25 so that is OK.

Gonna try to play a lot tomorrow...

/Regards Berra

GG (Gothenburg Grind)
      Current bankroll: €1740
      Cash game hands played: 9894
      MTT played: 9
      SNG played: 6
      Days of grinding: 3 (of 4)
    • Berra
      Berra
      Bronze
      End of the grind
      Have now finished the last day of grinding here in Gothenburg and it is time for me to travel home.

Results today
      Played 2807 cash game hands today and two MTT. Won 62 euro during the day.

Results entire grind
      We won about 600 euro in total during these four days. There will also be rake-back of about 200 euro. So the total result is +800 euro. The site we played on is not supported by any tracker software but our BB/100 can be estimated to about 7,5 during these days.

My travel home will look like this:
      • 2-hour walk to the central station in Gothenburg
      • 2-hour bus ride to Jönköping
      • 1-hour walk to my place in Jönköping

I could speed the journey up by taking the bus in the towns. But I really need to burn some fat now after sitting on a chair grinding for four days straight.

/Regards Berra

GG (Gothenburg Grind)
      Ending bankroll: €1802
      Cash game hands played: 12 701
      MTT played: 11
      SNG played: 6
      Days of grinding: 4 (of 4)
    • Berra
      Berra
      Bronze
      Back at home
      I am home again which means some playing at PartyPoker again.

Still hanging around at the lowest tables. It has been very easy for me to win at these tables. This is partly because I have been running good and gotten lucky with the cards. But it is also because the players there have loads of leaks.

A big common leak is that people do not raise often enough before the flop. There are plenty of reasons for raising instead of limping in:
      • You might steal the blinds
      • Your hand can be of the type that plays better against few opponents (QQ-88 for example)
      • A raise usually gives more information than limping in
      • You want to build big pots with your good hands
      • Punish the limper's that want to see a cheap flop with their speculative hands

The players that I face at the lowest tables can be divided into three groups:
      1. The people who never raises before the flop. It is usually so that these guys never raise after the flop as well. The only good thing about playing like this is that it makes you hard to read. But you do not want to play like this since you miss out on all the benefits listed above.
      2. The second group of players raises sometimes before the flop, but they also limp in a lot. These players may for example play 20% of their hands but only raise with 4% of their hands. The problem with playing like this is that they give away to much information about their hand.
      3. The third type of players will when choosing to play also choose to raise about 75% to 100% of the times. These players are pretty rare at the lowest tables but since this strategy combines the best of two worlds it is also the most profitable. You get all the benefits of the raise without getting too predictable.

I always try to play so that I end up in the third group. This means that I will mostly raise when playing a hand. I will however limp in occasionally, for example with speculative hands like T8s and low pockets. But the circumstances must be correct i.e. late position and some players that already have limped in giving me good pot odds.

/Regards Berra

PartyPoker results
      Results since last update: +$6.15
      Total winnings: $164.10