Can't sleep, what to do?

• GarlicYum
      GarlicYum
      Basic
      I'm having trouble to sleep every night atm and usually end up falling asleep a few hours in the middle of the day and then stay up all night. I'm feeling tired but can't go to sleep :f_frown:

Any ideas on what might help? Alcohol?
  • 20 replies
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      exercise works wonders for me, any kind of exercise really.

sometimes our brain is on overdrive and we need to resolve it before we can rest. to do this I try playing back my entire day in order in my head. once I'm done, I find I can sleep better.
    • immot
      immot
      Bronze
      Try having a regular schedule (get up, eat, go to beed at time x etc), it's hard at first but helps too.
    • spreeboy
      spreeboy
      Bronze
      your girlfriend might help... works for me :D
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      As mentioned above regular excercise will help. However I also listen to audiobooks whenever I go to bed feeling like I might have a hard time falling asleep. Doesn't matter what kind of book it would be as long as it doesn't illicite any kind of serious emotional response ... I've found that really helps me to stop the flow of thoughts and fall asleep sooner while also sleeping better.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by GarlicYum
      I'm having trouble to sleep every night atm and usually end up falling asleep a few hours in the middle of the day and then stay up all night. I'm feeling tired but can't go to sleep :f_frown:

"The cause of and solution to many of life's problems" - Homer J Simpson.

If you find yourself getting sleepy in the middle of the day. Get up and walk and fight it off! Then get an early night and get everything back to normal.

WIN!
    • GarlicYum
      GarlicYum
      Basic
      Now that you guys mentions it I haven't been exercising at all last couple of days! Only been sitting in front of the computer playing/studying pokers :rolleyes:

I usually exercise quite much so this could be the problem. Tomorrow (today lol) I'll start exercising every day again :)
    • DwayneDibbley
      DwayneDibbley
      Gold
      "Only been sitting in front of the computer playing/studying pokers"

That might be the problem. I have read an article you should not stare on monitor or watch tv whatever at least 1-2 hours before you´re going to sleep. Some people are more sensitive to the light. So when Im going to sleep, just turn off every light in my room and read on my Kindle for an hour. It definitely works for me... Or you can try MELATONIN (google it), it should helps too. I used it before I discover "the light issue".
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Melatonin only works in relatively large amounts though. I'm not sure how it works in other countries, but I believe here in Holland you can only buy up to 0.3 mg for each preparation, and you need a receipt for any more. And such low amounts won't work for most people. So even though there's a fair amount of people using it for non-medical reasons here in Holland, it doesn't really work for most people.

My brother uses it for medical reasons, and he takes up to 10mg every day (if I'm correct, not 100% sure on this one), and he really needs it.

So my point is, if you want to try melatonin, make sure you take a decent amount of it, or you may just end up wasting money on it.

Also, before reaching out to medicin, I would recommend doing what has been recommended to you already: exercise!
    • GarlicYum
      GarlicYum
      Basic
      Originally posted by DwayneDibbley
      "Only been sitting in front of the computer playing/studying pokers"

That might be the problem. I have read an article you should not stare on monitor or watch tv whatever at least 1-2 hours before you´re going to sleep. Some people are more sensitive to the light. So when Im going to sleep, just turn off every light in my room and read on my Kindle for an hour. It definitely works for me... Or you can try MELATONIN (google it), it should helps too. I used it before I discover "the light issue".

Oh! I had no idea about that but I can def relate to it. I'm can never go to sleep directly after a session
    • DwayneDibbley
      DwayneDibbley
      Gold
      Im from Czech Rep. and here you can buy it only for receipt. It doesnt matter how much mg Melatonin contains one pill. So I am ordering it from Slovakia, there is no problem with that. There is 3mg Melatonin in my 1 pill. I read that recommended amount is 1-5mg.
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Yeah, that should work perfectly fine then. I guess if there's an easy way for you to get your hands on it, it can definitely work in your favor :)
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Having hard time falling asleep after few days in front of pc instead of exercise might be a problem for the first few days, but after few years of doing that even clicking mouse will seem like exercise so you won't have to worry anymore about sleeping poorly. :f_biggrin: :(
    • SRBSavic1
      SRBSavic1
      Bronze
      try to exercise, wake up earlier, sleep 8 hours them kae urself get up, wake up at the same time every day, and ull fall asleep at the same time, helps life a shitload...
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by GarlicYum

Hi GarlicYum
      I certainly +1 all the recommendations for exercise.
      It is hard to sleep if you aren't tired.

It is also hard to sleep if your mind is buzzing with all sorts of carry-over from your day.

For me, reading something while relaxing just before bed helps a lot.
      TV has the opposite effect.

The first post of this thread:
      The quick guide to skyrocketing your poker and life productivity - COMPLETED!
      has a section on sleeping.

The whole post is a must-read.

All the best,
      --VS
    • FatSunny
      FatSunny
      Bronze
      Exercise.... sod that smoke a doobie :D
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by FatSunny
      :facepalm:
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      Originally posted by FatSunny
      :facepalm:
      got to love the community though

plenty of good suggestions itt.
    • ninuu
      ninuu
      Bronze
      Don't sleep in the middle of the day, this is your problem. Also if you really need to sleep take a nap of 30 minutes, max 1 h. It happens to me as well if I sleep 2-3h in the middle of the day, dooooh.
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      just remembered. .there's a freeware called F.LUX that changes the hue of your monitor as the day goes on, eliminating the blue tones.

http://stereopsis.com/flux/