min raising turn in position to make river decision easier?

• tommygecko
      for example:
      Pacific, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 4 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BTN): $10.50 (105 bb)
      SB: $9.10 (91 bb)
      CO: $10 (100 bb)
      BB: $23.48 (234.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 7c 7s
      CO folds, Hero raises to $0.20, SB calls $0.15, BB raises to $0.80, Hero calls $0.60, SB folds

Flop: ($1.80) Ks 4s 9s (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($1.80) 6c (2 players)
      BB bets $0.90, Hero raises to $2, BB calls $1.10

River: ($5.80) 9d (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

Results: $5.80 pot ($0.29 rake)
      Final Board: Ks 4s 9s 6c 9d
      Hero showed 7c 7s and won $5.51 ($2.71 net)
      BB showed Qd As and lost (-$2.80 net)

I believe he has weaker hands in his range (since he checked flop). I think this raise accomplishes a few things:
      1. Gets value from whatever draws he have.
      2. (most probably) Get a free showdown, because he won't barrel river. It's hard to call 2 barrels with 77s here in my opinion. And people on this stakes like to stab both turn and river.
      3. Easy fold if he reraises, or donks big on the river.
      4. Maybe fold out some better hands if villain is weak? In this example we could rep flush.

Of course such a move works only against certain villains though. They must almost always check the river after calling the raise, and take a stab at the pot quite often on turn and river after sensing weakness. And this move is safer when the pot is small (like in this case). And it probably works better on coordinated boards (since draws will call and possibly c/f river)

What this raise doesn't accomplish though:
      1. In many cases (especially dry boards), better hands won't fold, worse hands won't call. Which contradicts the purpose of betting.

So what do you guys think of such a move, versus call turn and call river?
  • 1 reply