nl20 sh river vs fish

• zumpar
      zumpar
      Bronze
      just curious, whats your calling range here on the river vs this fish's overbet?

is it safe to assume that since he is a fish, he will only overbet like sets/QJ?
      with a busted FD or whatever he'd probably bet like std 2/3 pot or smthg?

can i ever bluffcatch here?

he was playing 63/11 AF:1.2, 3b:0 over 27 hands

iPoker - $0.20 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: $25.15 (VPIP: 18.18, PFR: 15.15, 3Bet Preflop: 3.85, Hands: 100)
      UTG: $20.00
      MP: $19.60
      CO: $8.30
      Hero (BTN): $33.51
      SB: $15.47

SB posts SB $0.10, BB posts BB $0.20

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.30) Hero has XX

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.40, SB calls $0.30, fold

Flop: ($1.00, 2 players) T:diamond: 8:spade: 3:heart:
      SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($1.00, 2 players) 2:heart:
      SB bets $0.40, Hero calls $0.40

River: ($1.80, 2 players) 9:diamond:
      SB bets $4.00, hero?

thanks
  • 2 replies
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      Such a play really looks like two pair from my experience with fish. He bets turn because he has some sort of Tx,8x,3x or 2x. And the 9 obviously improves his hand to two pair so he wants to get max value. Sometimes he can have 99 and hit the set on the river.

My calling range would be Tx 2 pair hands (unlikely in this case since you didn't cbet flop) and stronger. If board is paired before the river I include overpairs.

I think this is villain dependent though, different fish have different ranges for such a line.

And also I've seen fish who induce by betting small on flop/turn and then suddenly bets really big on future streets. Only proceed with a strong draw or the near nuts.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      from a glance i think our river calling range is QJhh and 76hh only.
      maybe 99 (that is, if you call turn against him), maybe a few more QJ, think calling turn with QJo might be close.

- you'd bet TP+ on the flop (so you have no sets other than 22 on the turn)
      - you'd raise 22 on the turn
      - so your turn range is mostly very weak and doesn't improve on that river.
      - he's passive and pot odds are terrible. if he's bluffing then congrats to him :f_biggrin: