[NL2-NL10] NL10 QQ underplay (with results)

• DaPhunk
      Looking at the results of hands we played unusually

How do we use interpret results from hands to help us in the future? It is often said "don't base your play on the specific holding your opponent had". However, we do need to take those results into account to construct a range for our opponents. Here is an unusual line that I don't see happening vs this same opponent again:

Poker Stars $10.00 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Hero (UTG): $10.18
      CO: $10.00
      BTN: $10.00
      SB: $4.15
      BB: $10.00

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is UTG with Q :heart: Q :spade:
      Hero raises to $0.45, 2 folds, SB calls $0.40, 1 fold

Flop: ($1.00) 4 :heart: 6 :spade: 8 :spade: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.20, Hero raises to $0.80, SB calls $0.60

Turn: ($2.60) 8 :diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.60, Hero calls $0.60

River: ($3.80) 9 :club: (2 players)
      SB bets $1.10, Hero calls $1.10

Final Pot: $6.00
      Hero mucks Q :heart: Q :spade:
      SB shows A :diamond: A :club:
      SB wins $5.87
      (Rake: $0.13)

Villain is new at the table but he's played 4 or 5 hands on his first trip round so I think he's fishy.

This hand is played on instinct from turn onwards. Something seemed extremely odd to me about his turn+river minibets so I timebanked and decide I would not follow standard play of just shoving. Never the less I was surprised by his holding and have the intriguing task of not being results orientated because I have seen what his hand was.

so, in conclusion, I don't know how to ask my question, so what can I learn from this hand?
  • 1 reply
    • Tomaloc
      i also think this is an interesting topic.

you said "he's fishy", so let's try to get into his mind a bit.
      he had AA. he might be the type to treat AA like it's the absolute nuts guaranteed to win 100% of the time postflop.

so, what can we try to deduce about his play? i'd go with the guess that he's the type to make small trap/lure bets with the nuts until he proves otherwise.
      get out of the way when you have a medium strength hand and he bets low.

on the other hand, it will be suspicious when he suddenly bets big.
      i'd probably call some relatively big bets with good hands if there are some draws on the board and def call a potsize river bet when some draws miss, for example.
      if he bets small with the nuts then what does he bet big with?

obv you just have to keep an eye on him but these would be my default assumptions.
      might be interesting to see what other people also think about it :spade:

on the hand :D with only knowing that he's fishy i'd just raise flop to $1+, raise the turn and get it in vs his stack.
      it's bad that the 8 pairs but i think it's way more likely for him to be on a draw than on a monster given his sizing and the very coordinated board.