Dawidas888

• Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      HOMEWORK - Lesson 1

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      I have tried playing poker before but I stopped due to the idea that I am not comfortable in poker because it involves too much uncertainty. Then at some point I got into my head the idea that I am not good at poker.
      I want to prove to myself:
      1. That if I work hard and am diligent I can become profitable in poker.
      2. I can cope and enjoy the uncertainty that poker presents.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      1. I think I'm not balanced - too tight and too loose at different points.
      2. I can tilt when winning (thinking that I'm good).
      3. I need to have all the answers before making a decision.
      4. I love details - I overcomplicate my game.
      5. I lack patience - as soon as I learn something I don't take enough time to understand and ingrain the knowledge into my head.
      6. I don't have ballz :D
      7. I get distracted easily.
      8. Loads more.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      Tight means playing carefully selected range of hands. It is the opposite of loose player who plays many hands, e.g. more than 20% in FR and 30% in SH.
      Playing aggressively means applying pressure through betting and/or check/raising more often than not.
      So to play tight aggressive means to play by applying pressure to opponents and do this with carefully selected hands :)
  • 25 replies
    • Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      After reading 'How to use this board' thread, I realized that I haven't made a proper introduction (#5 weakness above - lack of patience).

So I'm 23 years old Lithuanian living in UK and studying law. I used to play poker a couple of years ago but stopped due to my lack of persistence. I played mostly HU SnG up to $50.

Right now I decided to build a proper foundation for my knowledge and start from the ground up - meaning I will play NL2.
    • Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

I will play more hands than SHC suggests. I made my own SHC which you can see below.

This chart is supposed to be tight (but not as tight as Pokerstrategy.com suggested one). The actions in this chart will be my default actions and I will vary them according to the factors I don't know yet. The thing is that you can't be flexible if there is nothing rigid :D So for a week I will play strictly by this chart and after that if necessary I will make adjustments.

Please let me know how do you feel about my adjusted ranges.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

Currently my 3bet/shove range is QQ+; AK vs MP.

Equity Win Tie
      MP2 38.82% 18.15% 20.68% { AdKh }
      MP3 61.18% 40.50% 20.68% { QQ+, AKs, AKo }

Is 3bet/fold with AK an option at lower limits given that I am far behind against a likely tight range of a 4bet?

My hand evaluation:
      NL2 AKo vs 4bet from MP1

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

Equity Win Tie
      MP2 46.32% 37.92% 8.41% { AdKh }
      MP3 53.68% 45.27% 8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

OTHER INFORMATION
      Time spent on:
      Studying - 330 min
      Play - 151 min
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Dawidas888
      HOMEWORK - Lesson 1

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      I have tried playing poker before but I stopped due to the idea that I am not comfortable in poker because it involves too much uncertainty. Then at some point I got into my head the idea that I am not good at poker.
      I want to prove to myself:
      1. That if I work hard and am diligent I can become profitable in poker.
      2. I can cope and enjoy the uncertainty that poker presents.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      5. I lack patience - as soon as I learn something I don't take enough time to understand and ingrain the knowledge into my head.
      8. Loads more.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      Tight means playing carefully selected range of hands. It is the opposite of loose player who plays many hands, e.g. more than 20% in FR and 30% in SH.
      Playing aggressively means applying pressure through betting and/or check/raising more often than not.
      So to play tight aggressive means to play by applying pressure to opponents and do this with carefully selected hands :)
      Homework 1 complete.

Congrats !

Re Q2:

-> This will be something that you will be working on for the next little while, hang in tight.

-> You can implement a "stop win" similar to a "stop loss" where you stop after X buyins won. It's not ideal but if it prevents you from tilting money away then we have a good play.

-> These two go together but they don't really happen in poker as we have a game of incomplete information. So you need to use whatever information you have to make the best decision possible.

-> Practice practice practice

-> Goes with many of the above and mostly with lack of experience/knowledge

-> Play shorter sessions, try to close all distractions (skype, browser, tv, etc).

Best of luck at the tables,

Bogdan
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

I will play more hands than SHC suggests. I made my own SHC which you can see below.

This chart is supposed to be tight (but not as tight as Pokerstrategy.com suggested one). The actions in this chart will be my default actions and I will vary them according to the factors I don't know yet. The thing is that you can't be flexible if there is nothing rigid :D So for a week I will play strictly by this chart and after that if necessary I will make adjustments.

Please let me know how do you feel about my adjusted ranges.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

Currently my 3bet/shove range is QQ+; AK vs MP.

Equity Win Tie
      MP2 38.82% 18.15% 20.68% { AdKh }
      MP3 61.18% 40.50% 20.68% { QQ+, AKs, AKo }

Is 3bet/fold with AK an option at lower limits given that I am far behind against a likely tight range of a 4bet?

My hand evaluation:
      NL2 AKo vs 4bet from MP1

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

Equity Win Tie
      MP2 46.32% 37.92% 8.41% { AdKh }
      MP3 53.68% 45.27% 8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

OTHER INFORMATION
      Time spent on:
      Studying - 330 min
      Play - 151 min
      Homework 2 complete. Congrats !

Q1: I think you are approaching this correctly. Your modifications are fine and are definitely a good start.
      What you want to do (when you play), even if you won't adjust right away, is pay attention to spots in which you could adjust your play. For example, look at your opponents, stack sizes, players dealt in the hand, etc.

Q2: Yes, you can definitely 3-bet/fold AK if villain is really tight and can't 4-bet bluffs (100 BB+).

Best of luck at the tables,

Bogdan
    • Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      Hiya

I have read all lesson 3 articles and watched the coaching video for lesson 3. I especially liked the 'Patterns in Poker' article which condensed my idea of learning into an article :) Also, it's amazing how much I missed from such basic articles as 'How to play after the flop' when I read them before. And here I was, thinking that I know the basics... :f_mad:

BogdanPS, thanks for the feedback! I will definitely be looking out for spots where I can adjust my range ;) I will consider the adjustments I can make later and put them to the next post. I will likely loosen up my range in some spots to face more marginal situation (such as stealing from the late positions against tight blinds) and tighten up my range against loose opponents in late position, but I still want to put in 5k hands before making any changes. I don't want to overthink it in NL2 :f_cool:

Question 1: You are holding K:spade: Q:spade: . What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3:diamond: 3:diamond: ? How does the equity change on this flop: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade: ?

Equity Win Tie
      MP2 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      MP3 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

K:spade: Q:spade: has a slight advantage preflop.

Board: Js5d3s
      Equity Win Tie
      MP2 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      MP3 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

3:diamond: 3:club: is roughly a 3 : 1 favorite on J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade: flop.

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?
      No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with A:club: J:club:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: 2:club: 6:diamond: 3:diamond:( $0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: 5:club:( $0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

This example was discussed in the coaching video :f_cool:

The possible range of the BU is 44-33, A4s.

Against this range our equity is as follows:

Board: 2c6d3d5c
      Equity Win Tie
      MP2 21.02% 18.75% 2.27% { AcJc }
      MP3 78.98% 76.70% 2.27% { 44-33, A4s }

We have enough pot odds against this very strong range, because to break-even we need 19.47% of equity (excluding the rake). Even if his range is only sets (which is worse for us in this example as we would have to discount 6:spade: and 3:spade: ; it is also unlikely that he would play his flopped sets passively) we would still have almost enough equity to make this call profitable as illustrated below.

Equity Win Tie
      MP2 19.32% 15.91% 3.41% { AcJc }
      MP3 80.68% 77.27% 3.41% { 66-55, 33-22 }

I am taking this one step further and including the 3.5% rake of PokerStars for NL2. With this in the equation we would need exactly 20% of equity to break-even (BTW I am using veriz's chart which he showed during the coaching video of lesson 3).

It would still be profitable to call if the opponent has straights and sets and slightly -EV if the opponent has only sets.

To conclude, I would call :f_biggrin:

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

I am a little bit unclear on how I should play my medium hands OoP, e.g. medium pair as in this example http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=246744.

Any thoughts on the lines I should take in NL2? And if/how would that change in NL10-NL50?

OTHER INFORMATION
      Time spent on:
      Studying - 810 min
      Play - 480 min; 2,181 hands; 15.1bb/100; not using HUD (yet)

Thank you in advance for any comments!
      Dawidas888
    • Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop.

This is the hand where I had initiative postflop NL2 FR AA tough turn

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.
      NL5 KK dangerous board

Question 3: You are on the flop with K:spade: Q:diamond: . The board cards are J:spade: , 9:club: , 8:heart: , and your opponent holds 7:club: 7:heart: . What is your equity in this spot?

K:spade: Q:diamond: has 41.41% of equity on this flop against 7:club: 7:heart: .

Board: Js9c8h
      Equity Win Tie
      MP2 41.41% 41.41% 0.00% { KsQd }
      MP3 58.59% 58.59% 0.00% { 7h7c }

OTHER INFORMATION
      I modified my SHC a little bit to widen BU stealing range and tighten up defending range from the blinds.

My results graph:
      Removed - too big for the message board

My stats by position:
      Removed - too big for the message board

Time spent on:
      Studying - 13h
      Play - 15h; 9,564 hands; 11.7bb/100; not using HUD (yet)
    • Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      UPDATE 20.04.2013
      My goals for April:
      46 / 100 hands evaluated in the forums
      13,282 / 20,000 hands played
      2 / 5 articles learnt very well

Time spent on:
      Studying - 27h
      Play - 35h; 13.8bb/100; 6-tabling; making notes; not using HUD (yet)
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hiya

I have read all lesson 3 articles and watched the coaching video for lesson 3. I especially liked the 'Patterns in Poker' article which condensed my idea of learning into an article :) Also, it's amazing how much I missed from such basic articles as 'How to play after the flop' when I read them before. And here I was, thinking that I know the basics... :f_mad:

It's funny how, the more you learn about the poker the more you feel like you know less... if that makes any sense :f_biggrin:

BogdanPS, thanks for the feedback! I will definitely be looking out for spots where I can adjust my range ;) I will consider the adjustments I can make later and put them to the next post. I will likely loosen up my range in some spots to face more marginal situation (such as stealing from the late positions against tight blinds) and tighten up my range against loose opponents in late position, but I still want to put in 5k hands before making any changes. I don't want to overthink it in NL2 :f_cool:

Question 1: You are holding K:spade: Q:spade: . What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3:diamond: 3:diamond: ? How does the equity change on this flop: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade: ?

Equity Win Tie
      MP2 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      MP3 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

K:spade: Q:spade: has a slight advantage preflop.

Board: Js5d3s
      Equity Win Tie
      MP2 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      MP3 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

3:diamond: 3:club: is roughly a 3 : 1 favorite on J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade: flop.

Looks good !

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?
      No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with A:club: J:club:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: 2:club: 6:diamond: 3:diamond:( $0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: 5:club:( $0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

This example was discussed in the coaching video :f_cool:

The possible range of the BU is 44-33, A4s.

Against this range our equity is as follows:

Equity Win Tie
      MP2 21.02% 18.75% 2.27% { AcJc }
      MP3 78.98% 76.70% 2.27% { 44-33, A4s }

We have enough pot odds against this very strong range, because to break-even we need 19.47% of equity (excluding the rake). Even if his range is only sets (which is worse for us in this example as we would have to discount 6:spade: and 3:spade: ; it is also unlikely that he would play his flopped sets passively) we would still have almost enough equity to make this call profitable as illustrated below.

Equity Win Tie
      MP2 19.32% 15.91% 3.41% { AcJc }
      MP3 80.68% 77.27% 3.41% { 66-55, 33-22 }

I am taking this one step further and including the 3.5% rake of PokerStars for NL2. With this in the equation we would need exactly 20% of equity to break-even (BTW I am using veriz's chart which he showed during the coaching video of lesson 3).

It would still be profitable to call if the opponent has straights and sets and slightly -EV if the opponent has only sets.

To conclude, I would call :f_biggrin:

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

I am a little bit unclear on how I should play my medium hands OoP, e.g. medium pair as in this example http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=246744.

Any thoughts on the lines I should take in NL2? And if/how would that change in NL10-NL50?

OTHER INFORMATION
      Time spent on:
      Studying - 810 min
      Play - 480 min; 2,181 hands; 15.1bb/100; not using HUD (yet)

Thank you in advance for any comments!
      Dawidas888
      Q2: well said.

Q3: You shouldn't group all hands together. For example KTo plays a lot different than 99.

I would recommend that when playing at these lower limits where people are generally passive to fold a lot more in the blinds versus their raises until you find out if they steal a lot or not.

So hands like KTo (offsuite weak broadways) can be folded.

Pairs on the other hand have set mining value so should be played using the 20 rule.

Good job so far,

Keep it up.

Best regards,

Bogdan
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Homework 3 & 4 completed.

Well done !

Re: your stats

Could you please post your numbers for RFI (raise first in) from each position? RFI = Steal % for CO/BTN/SB.

Your changes to the SHC are fine as well. Good job.
    • Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      Hi Bogdan

Here's my steal stats

Thanks again for all the help!
    • Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have based your decisions on the stats of your opponents.

Nl2 Fr Jj
      In this hand I based my decision on the stats of the opponent but my decision was wrong :f_cool:

NL2 AJo

Question 3: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (7-handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($8)
      MP2 ($9)
      CO ($10)
      Hero($10)
      SB ($10) (17/13/2.6/24/1212) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      BB ($10) (27/9/2.0/29/333) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]

Preflop: Hero is BU with 6:diamond: , 7:diamond:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, SB calls $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.20) 3:diamond: , 3:heart: , T:diamond: (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($1.20) J:diamond: (3 players)
      SB bets $1.00, BB calls $1.00, Hero...

What action would you take, and why?

SB seems like a TAG player so his range may included some PP and AT+ hands as well as JJ-TT. He can also have A3s.

BB seems a relatively loose player so he is likely sitting on PP, FD, OESD, A3 or maybe Jx, Tx as well as.

I think a raise is in order as we can get value from pairs + diamond and we also need to protect as if another :diamond: shows up we are in an ugly spot.

All in all, I would raise to $4 here.

If we get shoved on we would need only 23.36% equity to break-even.
      Against SB I would call as his shoving range may include some A:diamond: x and A3 (maybe even some KdQx) hands to make a call profitable.
      Against BB it's a tougher spot as he seems a bit more passive but again I think a call is in order because he may have a similar range to SB.

Question 4: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (8-handed)

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($8)
      MP ($10)
      MP2 ($9)
      MP3 ($6)
      Hero ($10)
      BU ($10) (25/21/3.8/26/1250) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      SB ($10)
      BB ($10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J:heart: , J:spade:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BU 3-bets to $1.30, 2 folds, Hero calls $1.30

Flop: ($2.75) 6:heart: , 9:spade: , T:club: (2 players)
      Hero...

This is a spot where I struggle a lot. Calling preflop seems fine.

I usually c/c the flop, maybe c/c safe turn and fold to river bet. I don't know the other way to play. I do know this is a weak and exploitable play and it is likely that BU is 3betting light.

I would like some advice here!

-----

So yesterday I crushed NL2 and my bankroll went over $100 (20 BI for NL5).
      My winrate was 12.3bb/100 over 16,694 hands. I also took a small shot (400 hands) to NL5 and it was very funny how it seemed so much more daunting than NL2 even though I used to play in NL25 few years ago :f_biggrin:

I took the day off from playing to analyse leftover hands from NL2 and read more about strategy. I still feel very uncomfortable playing vs 3bets so I will spend more time analyzing the numbers.

I'm also well on my way with April goals:
      74 / 100 hands evaluated in the forums
      17,106 / 20,000 hands played
      2 / 5 articles learnt
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      just wanted to drop by and say hi, and maybe give some pointers for improvements.

1. you are stealing way too little on the button, its not like you are playing nl 200+ . you will be more profitable with 50% or more. some people get up to 60% even at higher stakes.

2. same issue on the cut off, try to find spots where you have a tight button and fishy blinds and you can open in these spots up to 30-35% and your overall CO open should be up to 20-25%

3. dont worry about balance, i play NL100 and still have no idea what I'm supposed to do, start worrying when you are profitable at NL50, focus your attention on other things.

4. start looking at a higher 3bet in your SB, at least 8%, up to maybe 12%. many people open the button wide and then fold so we can pick up the money this way.

lastly i am not really into blogs so i may not be back to read this again, if you would like to contact me please send me an email to xavierfok@gmail.com or add me on skype xavierfok
    • Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      Hi cutegoldfish

Thanks for the comments. Regarding the balance comment (#3) I write the percentages and try to 'balance' it not because I think that players will adjust but because it helps to increase my confidence and lets me know that I'm not overplaying my hands, e.g. when I 3bet as a bluff I am sure that I'm not 3betting too much as I know how often will I get that hand. I hope this explains why I write the percentages.

Having previously said that I struggle vs 3bets and with your comments (1, 2 & 4) in mind I made the following adjustments:

Adjustments to SHC

Changes in general:
      1) I expanded CO & BU stealing ranges.
      1.1) If BU is tight I will expand my CO steal range by further ~11%
      2) Reduced CO opening to 3BB (BU is already 3BB).
      3) I expanded SB 3bet range vs BU. 3bet size - 3.5x
      4) I expanded BU 3bet range vs CO. 3bet size - 2.5x
      5) Defined my calling/4betting ranges vs 3bets from CO, BU and vs others.

Possible changes in the future:
      1) Expand SB stealing range as mine is still quite low.
      2) Expand my 4bet value/bluff ranges OR expand my 3bet calling ranges IP/OoP.

Regarding my play vs 3bets - I will still be folding 67-80% of times. However, I added a few 4bet bluffs (50/50 value vs bluffs) and made my calling range clear in BU vs 3bet from SB/BB situations. In the future I will need to either: 1) expand my 4bet value/bluff ranges; or 2) expand my 3bet calling ranges IP/OoP.
    • Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have either a) freeplay, b) slowplay, or c) multi-way pot situation.

NL5 FR A8o complete
      Folded on the river like a nit :f_cool:

NL4 QJs

$25 NL Hold'em (10 handed)

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($25)
      UTG+1 ($25) rock
      UTG+2 ($25)
      MP1 ($25)
      MP2 ($25) LAG
      MP3 ($25) maniac
      CO ($25)
      Hero BU ($25)
      SB ($25)
      BB ($25) calling station

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q:heart: , J:heart:
      5 folds, MP3 raises $1.00, CO calls $1.00, Hero calls $1.00, 1 fold, BB calls $1.00

Flop: ($4.10) 3:heart: , J:club: , A:diamond: (4 players)
      BB checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($4.10) Q:club: (4 players)
      BB bets $2.05, 2 folds, Hero...?

Given that BB is a station I raise to $6 for value on the turn and bet $5 (~45% of the pot) on any safe river (not A, K, T or :club:) . I expect to be called by AK/AT/AcXc/FD/T9 on the turn and AK/AT/Ax on the river - it may sound like a thin value bet and it is :f_biggrin: I guess checking behind is fine as well.

BTW if BB shoves on the turn I fold - calling stations never bluff.

My goals for April:
      100+ / 100 hands evaluated in the forums
      20,000+ / 20,000 hands played
      3 / 5 articles learnt very well

Time spent on:
      Studying - 47h
      Play - 58h; being crushed at NL5 so far; making notes; using HUD.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Bogdan

Here's my steal stats

Thanks again for all the help!
      Hi Dawidas,

You definitely can improve your steal %s in all 3 positions.

At these limits (2/5NL) and even higher people fold a ton when it comes to us stealing in the blinds.
    • Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      Summary of April:
      5 / 5 articles learnt very well

Time spent on:
      Studying - 60h
      Playing - 67h

My goals for May:
      0 / 150 hands evaluated in the forums (0.5% of all hands played)
      0 / 30,000 hands played
      0 / 2 articles learnt very well
      0 / 6 videos analysed (at least 3 hours total)

Other interesting things:
      I started to enjoy analyzing hands. Before it was difficult but now it's more of a routine. I enjoy studying poker and not just playing. Sometimes I'm just too lazy to play so I study and analyse hands :f_eek: never thought this would happen :f_cool:
      NL5 results: 8.75bb/100 in 9,701 hands
      Copied my brother and stopped looking at my cashier. Helps a ton! So now I'll be looking at it only in the end of the week.
      Opened up my game a lot since the last time. Right now playing 21/17/9. Learned how to find a good spot too steal/open wider. This is also due to the hand reading confidence I developed through hand analysis. I'm also feeling much more confident playing in 3bet pots.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Summary of April:
      5 / 5 articles learnt very well

Time spent on:
      Studying - 60h
      Playing - 67h

My goals for May:
      0 / 150 hands evaluated in the forums (0.5% of all hands played)
      0 / 30,000 hands played

Other interesting things:
      I started to enjoy analyzing hands. Before it was difficult but now it's more of a routine. I enjoy studying poker and not just playing. Sometimes I'm just too lazy to play so I study and analyse hands :f_eek: never thought this would happen :f_cool:
      NL5 results: 8.75bb/100 in 9,701 hands
      Copied my brother and stopped looking at my cashier. Helps a ton! So now I'll be looking at it only in the end of the week.
      Opened up my game a lot since the last time. Right now playing 21/17/9. Learned how to find a good spot too steal/open wider. This is also due to the hand reading confidence I developed through hand analysis. I'm also feeling much more confident playing in 3bet pots.
      It looks like you are very organized and know where you are heading. Congrats on that and keep it up. Remember that when you stop doing stuff like this you will decrease the speed at which you progress, so never stop :)

Despite the small sample your winrate is great.

I also agree with the cashier part but you should also look at hiding some of this information in your HEM which will minimize the "accidental" look.

Keep up the great work,

Bogdan
    • Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have played on a 6-max table (short-handed).

NL5 FR 75s turn spot - calculating pot / implied odds
      It's a FR game but 3 players were sitting out so it's the same as SH ;)

Also, here's my thinking about SH games, correct me if I'm wrong:
      It is the same as a FR game with 3/4 (depending if the tables are 9/10 handed) players from the UTG folding preflop. So I play SH same as if I were playing FR as positions are the same.

[SH] 3bet pot IP

I replied to several questions the guys had, I hope it counts :f_biggrin:

$10 NL Hold'em (6 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($10)
      CO ($10)
      BU($10)
      SB ($10)
      BB (Hero) ($10)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5, 4
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.40, BU calls $0.40, SB calls $0.40, Hero calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.60) 3 , 2 , Q (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.20, CO Raises All-in, BU calls All-in, SB folds, Hero...

Given that the opponents are unknown I expect them to be somewhat reasonable.

CO likely has either a set, an OP, TPTK or some crazy A:hK / A:hJ / A:hT.
      BU can have a set/TPTK with a few better FDs in the mix.
      Against those ranges we have 34.48% equity and we only need 28.63% equity to break-even therefore it's an easy call.

Board: 3s2hQh
      Equity Win Tie
      CO 36.69% 34.18% 2.51% { QQ+, 33-22, AQs, AhKh, AhJh, AhTh, AQo }
      BU 28.83% 26.32% 2.51% { 33-22, AQs, AhJh, AhTh, JhTh, Th9h, 9h8h, Ah6h, Ah3h, AQo }
      BB 34.48% 34.48% 0.00% { 5h4h }

Question 4: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (6 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($10)
      CO (Hero) ($10)
      BU($10)
      SB ($10)
      BB ($10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A , K
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BU calls $0.40, SB calls $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.60) A , 4 , 4 (4 players)
      SB checks, BB bets $1.20, Hero...

Folding is out of question.
      Raising may get more value from weaker Ax (though unlikely given it's a 4-way pot) but it would fold out all his bluffs / weaker pairs etc. In general, there is very little value in raising in this spot as the board is very dry.
      All in all, I think just calling here will be the most +EV choice.
    • Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      Hi Bogdan

Thanks for the support! I'm glad you noticed my effort as it is really important to me! :f_pleased:

Late update is due to 2 courseworks I had to do until 7/8 May. I still have 1 coursework and 1 exam left :f_frown:

I did hide all the $$$ from HEM so I can't really check my situation without clicking 4-5 times and so far it's not hard to stay away from checking the situation. I think I managed to separate results / money from judging how well I do and associate studying with that. So whenever I study I feel better regardless of how I perform at the tables even though I still sense which direction I'm heading to :f_cool:

Right now I am also focusing on organizing the knowledge I acquired during the first 25 days (learnt from this article http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/psychology/2289/1/). It will take me a couple more days and then I will proceed to learning by putting my knowledge to appropriate 'drawers' from the start :f_biggrin:

May goals:
      35 / 150 hands evaluated in the forums (0.5% of all hands played)
      7,400 / 30,000 hands played

Time spent on:
      Studying - 70h (+10h)

Thanks again for all the help and support!
      Dawidas

Edit: a post with winrate will be on Sunday :f_cool: