[NL20-NL50] AK vs 3bet

• GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      iPoker - $0.50 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 100 BB (VPIP: 33.33, PFR: 31.58, 3Bet Preflop: 22.92, Hands: 119)
      UTG: 375.06 BB (VPIP: 24.75, PFR: 20.69, 3Bet Preflop: 9.89, Hands: 4,870)
      MP: 218.74 BB (VPIP: 22.09, PFR: 17.44, 3Bet Preflop: 7.69, Hands: 90)
      Hero (CO): 210.46 BB
      BTN: 175.14 BB (VPIP: 20.06, PFR: 14.99, 3Bet Preflop: 7.70, Hands: 1,947)
      SB: 110.54 BB (VPIP: 15.07, PFR: 13.70, 3Bet Preflop: 4.00, Hands: 74)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has K:heart: A:spade:

fold, fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, BTN raises to 9 BB, fold, fold, Hero calls 6 BB

Flop: (19.5 BB, 2 players) 2:club: A:diamond: 5:spade:
      Hero checks, BTN bets 11 BB, Hero raises to 24 BB, BTN calls 13 BB

Turn: (67.5 BB, 2 players) 9:diamond:
      Hero bets 39 BB, BTN calls 39 BB

River: (145.5 BB, 2 players) 9:heart:
      Hero bets 138.46 BB, BTN calls 103.14 BB

Hero shows K:heart: A:spade: (Two Pair, Aces and Nines) (Pre 50%, Flop 50%, Turn 50%)
      BTN shows A:club: K:spade: (Two Pair, Aces and Nines) (Pre 50%, Flop 50%, Turn 50%)
      Hero wins 172.9 BB
      BTN wins 172.88 BB

Am I isolating vs AA this way?
  • 8 replies
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      Nope, you will find an occasional AK as well. Just kidding.

But without further reads, I think the river bet is too big. Are you trying to make it look like a bluff?

Another thought is that out of position this deep, you might want to keep the pot small all the way postflop. But this is just a thought.

/Johan = :f_confused:
    • GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      Originally posted by YohanN7
      Nope, you will find an occasional AK as well. Just kidding.

But without further reads, I think the river bet is too big. Are you trying to make it look like a bluff?

Another thought is that out of position this deep, you might want to keep the pot small all the way postflop. But this is just a thought.

Why would I try to keep the pot small OOP with virtual nuts?
    • zghrv
      zghrv
      Silver
      FLOP:

What do we acheive with ch-r?
      What worse hand is calling there and why do you do it?

I think ch-c is better line here.

TURN/RIVER:
      after he calls the flop you can be 100% sure he holds AK or AA
      IMO I think your line should be pot control ch-c/ch-c
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      I'm just being a bit old-fashioned. I'm thinking in terms of big pots being for big hands. Your opponent can profitably 3-bet setmine with all pp when close to 200 BB deep if you like to get it in with TPTK and he knows it.

Edit: With more than 100bb to go after the flop, he could be calling with plenty of hands. I think it is a big mistake to put people on such narrow ranges as AA/AK when the stacks are deep. How about A + suited rag giving him a gutshot? A + suited rag giving two pair? 54s for a gutter and a pair? Those are all easily playable hands preflop when deep.

• mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

just c/c down. You are isolating vs stronger hands. I don't see how you are ever taking this line as a bluff. Do you really expect AQ to just b/c F and call down? You can have some two pairs and sets too.

I prefer taking c/c line and he may multibarrel some draws and try to push you off your AJs/AQ type of hands so having AK in your c/c c/c c/c range protects you from a 3 barrel strategy.
    • GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      Originally posted by mbml
      Hi.

just c/c down. You are isolating vs stronger hands. I don't see how you are ever taking this line as a bluff. Do you really expect AQ to just b/c F and call down? You can have some two pairs and sets too.

I prefer taking c/c line and he may multibarrel some draws and try to push you off your AJs/AQ type of hands so having AK in your c/c c/c c/c range protects you from a 3 barrel strategy.
      I agree that it should be a call down. I almost always call down my strong hands in 3bet pots vs aggro player, this time I tried different way.
      The flop was perfect for me, he can hardly have better hand. And since we are deep, if turn comes e.g Q, J, T it would be harder for me to call down especially if he goes all in deep on river, since he could then have 2 pairs, sets..

Also I think if he called down with AK, that he sees my line mostly as a bluff. Because he cant expect me to do it with AQ or weaker, and I could have easily set here. So I think that he could do it also with AQ if he thinks I am bluffing.
    • GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      error
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      AK is very different from AQ because I think people are definitely capable of raising AK here sometimes. It's not like AK and AQ have the same relative hand strength (or at least, not as if he would perceive AQ to be the same as AK).