Almost a year off poker.. it's different!

• nooni2k
      nooni2k
      Bronze
      Hi all,

I'm from the UK and I've played poker as a hobby sporadically for several years, usually with modest success. Last year I did a 3-4 month stint at 25nl and booked about a 20BI profit before I withdrew and spent it on a holiday.

I stated playing again about three weeks ago and have to say it's been much more difficult. I mean just for example some of the regs I'm playing are now squeezing like 10-12% and I'm struggling to adjust.

Looking forward to using this site to help me work on some adjustments.

Philosophy-wise: I don't mind losing some money in the short term trying to figure out and cultivate a more aggressive style, because I believe that we should be able to have positive red lines by attacking regs when they have weak ranges, and putting mass tabling robots to nasty decisions which they can't be bothered to make (sigh fold!). I want to learn to play this way because otherwise I'm just relying on blue line rungood to make money...whilst the red line just kinda tanks. This is my plan anyway... expect I'll need a lot of help to get there and make a ton of mistakes on the way :)
  • 11 replies
    • Stu24023
      Stu24023
      Bronze
      Plus 1 will follow.

Where in the uk r u?
    • nooni2k
      nooni2k
      Bronze
      Hi man - I'm in south-west London, you?

Just been looking round the site and have a question: I currently play at Boss Media network which isn't an affiliate site... can I still post hand histories??

I don't mind buying a few months of silver initially to see how it goes.....
    • malcolmlinco
      malcolmlinco
      Bronze
      Originally posted by nooni2k
      Just been looking round the site and have a question: I currently play at Boss Media network which isn't an affiliate site... can I still post hand histories??
      Yes, you can post hands for eval.
    • FatSunny
      FatSunny
      Bronze
      This might sound like a daft question but I guess having a positive redline is good?

Sorry for my dumbness ;(
    • Stu24023
      Stu24023
      Bronze
      I live near slough/reading and I am yet to find anyone who loves nearby!

Instead of buying a status why don't u link to a diff site and only at a small amount! I play stars and a. Back at nl2 and it takes me about a week / 7k hands to grind the 100 points for the silver status here
    • nooni2k
      nooni2k
      Bronze
      Hi FatSunny - yeah I think most people would say that. Positive red line winnings show that you can outplay people and push them off their hands. As a playing style I believe it gives you a more consistent income as it is pretty much unaffected by variance (no variance when villains fold!) and it doesn't rely on you hitting big hands to win money.

Thanks for that advice Stu I didn't realise it was that simple to get Silver. I'll look at some of the sites and see which ones look good.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      red line still relies on villains not getting great hands too often. :f_biggrin:

a "good red line style" def has less variance though.
    • Skodljivec
      Skodljivec
      Bronze
      Redline is overrated at micros... If you play against fish, you can't have a good redline, only if you play vs regs (which you shoudn't do if there are fish left :D ).

I pretty much crushed nl10 and nl25 with the redline going steadily down, but the blue one going hiiiiigh :)
    • nooni2k
      nooni2k
      Bronze
      Yes I'm definitely aware of the body of work and opinion on redline, it's a thorny issue.

I'm just trying to develop a playing style that at the very least gives a flat redline, in order to avoid over reliance on showdown winnings and fish-hunting. I think it'll be good for me in the long run.

Obv I still expect my blue line to be positive! No point sacrificing dollars on the blue for dollars on the red...we still want to get to showdown with the best hand vs fish.
    • Guthans
      Guthans
      Silver
      Originally posted by nooni2k
      Yes I'm definitely aware of the body of work and opinion on redline, it's a thorny issue.

I'm just trying to develop a playing style that at the very least gives a flat redline, in order to avoid over reliance on showdown winnings and fish-hunting. I think it'll be good for me in the long run.

Obv I still expect my blue line to be positive! No point sacrificing dollars on the blue for dollars on the red...we still want to get to showdown with the best hand vs fish.
      I gotta say; Don't even spend time thinking about redline/blueline at NL25. Been putting in some volume and getting a good redline will require you to bluff fishes of hands, and unfortunately you'll never know when you hit the station hard with a bluff and he flips up 3rdpair. It's not a smart way to play in my opinion. I know it's been said like 5 million times, but valuebet light - Toppair; bet bet bet until they reraise, then fold. =)
    • nooni2k
      nooni2k
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Guthans
      I gotta say; Don't even spend time thinking about redline/blueline at NL25. Been putting in some volume and getting a good redline will require you to bluff fishes of hands, and unfortunately you'll never know when you hit the station hard with a bluff and he flips up 3rdpair. It's not a smart way to play in my opinion. I know it's been said like 5 million times, but valuebet light - Toppair; bet bet bet until they reraise, then fold. =)
      Sorry I've only just seen this post 2 weeks later, but I feel I have to reply.

Firstly I'm not looking to just beat 25NL. I'm looking to the future, to 50NL, to 100NL and maybe beyond, and trying to develop a style that will be profitable for a long time to come.

Also for me, good red line comes from outplaying and bluffing vs. the weak regs at your stakes... absolutely not from fish. Fish are blue line donators :D

If someone is constantly bluffing at a "station that flips up 3rdpair" then they are clearly just playing crap poker. Hopefully you can see that I can see the difference =)