problems with moving up

• zumpar
      zumpar
      Bronze
      hey guys, just wondering if anyone of you could put some input in this/has similiar experience, merely psychological

long story short, i played about 50k hands of nl20, was doing good, moved up to NL50, was doing good for a few hands (5-6k) then i got absolutely destroyed by variance/maybe better opponents, lost like 10 BI's in 3k hands (and thats with running about 5-6 BI's over EV!!!), moved down...

since then i have a feeling ive been absolutely destroying NL20, about 12bb/100, red line around b/e, im feeling i have a pretty big edge even vs those "good" regs on this limits, yet im still afraid to move up to NL50 again cause of the last fiasco

i have the BR, confidence on NL20, i feel like i should be beating NL50 as well, yet im still afraid to move up

pretty weird, i used to take shots on higher limits with like 8bi's when i was going through nl2/5/10 and never had any doubts/fear, i was some BR fearless maniac so to say, yet i just feel like i have this psychological block cause of the last shot which ended up a total disaster...

anyone who has some advide about how to overcome this ?? :)

thanks
  • 8 replies
    • GarlicYum
      GarlicYum
      Basic
      You just have to realize that swinging 10bi is superstandard.
      Analyze your hands from 50nl shot. Why did you lose? Variance or did you play worse than you normally because of scared money or something?

I think you should just grind until you're superconfident with your br then set x number of buyins aside for your shot.
      If you feel like losing will effect the way you're playing then don't move up yet
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      I can tell you now your going to have a lot of replys of "its only 5-6k hands, small sample"

If your confident and fell like your playing well then no need to feel disheartened or down on yourself. Just continue to improve and maybe get someone to go over your DB at NL50. Maybe compare the limits and see if there is a massive different in stats.

NL50 is prob where it starts to get a lil tougher than the micros IMO.
      If your afraid to move up then an option could be to have a bankroll much bigger than what you need to rake the shot.

Losing $50 in a $2k BR doesnt look as much as a $1k BR
    • Pe6o0o
      Pe6o0o
      Bronze
      anyone who has some advide about how to overcome this ?

If you fall, you get up and try again.. and again.. and again.. and again..

That's how you overcome this.
    • bmfbpi
      bmfbpi
      Bronze
      if you fall down, you get back up man. That's it.

It's tough, but then again, who said it was going to be easy ?

I had a similar thing, tried to move up at NL16, got destroyed by..wait for it...fish(told the experience today in my blog). Had no problems playing against the regs, but the fish destroyed me. Of course it's also variance, I also have a tiny sample at NL16. I also am confident that I can beat the limit, but not that confident BRM-wise. So, back to NL10, and NL10 it is for the rest of April.

I am nowhere nearly as good as I think I am, and nowhere nearly as good as I know i can be. What I do is get up, brush the dust off and work harder. Variance can be brutal and it can screw with your head big time.

also, saw you added me as a friend, maybe we can do some hh reviews ? It's always good when another player looks at your hands.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Hey man, the thing is that where there is desire there is gonna be a flame, where there is a flame, someone's bound to get burned, but just because it burns doesn't mean you're gonna die. You've gotta get up and try try try

GL
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      Earlier you didn't depend on your roll that much when you used to take 8 Bi shots. Now after things turned a certain way, safety of your roll is a lot more important to you which could be making you scared to take another shot.

Maybe build roll a bit bigger and take a shot at NL 50 with a bigger roll that makes you feel comfortable enough to survive a swing.
    • JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      I guess you just need to look at you game when you have played at NL50, have you been getting a lot of coolers that doesn't show on the EV graph. For now you don't need to play a ton on the NL50, just try to learn it's different from NL20.

And then take 5-10 BI shots when you feel ready to give it a new shot.
    • nefarious26
      nefarious26
      Bronze
      maybe split your tables 50/50 if you 6 table play 3 at nl25 and 3 at nl50 to build your confidence