[NL2-NL10] flop brings nuts

• Sasa1234
      Sasa1234
      Bronze
      Preflop: Hero is CO with Q:heart: , J:heart:
      2 folds, MP2 raises to $0,35, MP3 calls $0,35, Hero calls $0,35, 2 folds, BB calls $0,25.

Flop: ($1,45) 9:diamond: , T:club: , K:club: (4 players)
      BB bets $1,20, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $1,20, Hero raises to $4,00, BB calls $2,80, MP3 calls $2,80.

Turn: ($13,45) 9:heart: (3 players)
      BB checks, MP3 bets $6,80, Hero calls $6,25, BB raises to $13,20 (All-In), MP3 calls $6,40.

River: ($46,10) 8:heart:

Final Pot: $46,10

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a straight, king high (Qh Jh)
      BB shows four of a kind, nines (9s 9c)
      MP3 shows a pair of nines (Js Ad)

BB wins with four of a kind, nines (9s 9c)

I had feeling that I was beaten, should I fold it next time?
  • 7 replies
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      Never fold, not even the top poker players would fold that ;) Just a cooler, gotta love how he checked on a board like that waiting for a bet, what a donk.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I would shove turn.
      but you can´t fold her.e
    • NRGBlaze
      NRGBlaze
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tosh5457
      Never fold, not even the top poker players would fold that ;) Just a cooler, gotta love how he checked on a board like that waiting for a bet, what a donk.
      why is that?!?
      he's against a limper and a re-raiser - I would also check/raise with the nuts (probably I'm a donk also but that's another point :D )
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NRGBlaze
      Originally posted by Tosh5457
      why is that?!?
      he's against a limper and a re-raiser - I would also check/raise with the nuts (probably I'm a donk also but that's another point :D )
      Nevermind, I meant how he called on that board. The board is just too drawy to just call with a set, that's why he's a donk. Unless he knew someone already had a straight, in that case his call is good.
    • NRGBlaze
      NRGBlaze
      Bronze
      I get your point now. I guess you're right, but I still think that he played correctly, because if he did 3bet then he would have chased away everybody with top pair or overpair (AA in this case) and if he gets called he is probably beat.
      plus I don't think that a guy with just a draw will call a pot-sized bet (BB did one in the beginning of the flop) or that he would re-raise it, so that's why he is cautious - he's underdog to at least one of his opponents or they are playing aggresively their draws in which case he could profit if they do not hit the right cards
      thats my opinion of course - I'm still new to poker so tell me if I'm wrong somewhere
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NRGBlaze
      I get your point now. I guess you're right, but I still think that he played correctly, because if he did 3bet then he would have chased away everybody with top pair or overpair (AA in this case) and if he gets called he is probably beat.
      plus I don't think that a guy with just a draw will call a pot-sized bet (BB did one in the beginning of the flop) or that he would re-raise it, so that's why he is cautious - he's underdog to at least one of his opponents or they are playing aggresively their draws in which case he could profit if they do not hit the right cards
      thats my opinion of course - I'm still new to poker so tell me if I'm wrong somewhere
      Yeah you're right, but many people call pot sized bets with draws on NL10 and people would call with TPs and two pair probably, if he shoved.

Let's see: MP3 call is probably a draw, he'd probably raise with TP. Now Hero's raise may be top pair, two pair, combo draw (which a set is often ahead, unless it's FD + OESD) and in the worst case (for BB in this case) a straight. Assuming he'd call with two pair, combo draw and straight a shove would be EV+.

That's what I think, I know I wouldn't give any free cards on that board with a set. Maybe I'm wrong, I'd like what judges have to say about this, in case we had the set on this situation :) .
    • NRGBlaze
      NRGBlaze
      Bronze
      you're absolutely right that he shouldn't give the free card and that's a right thing to do
      I was just thinking that this way he might scare them away
      if he takes his chances and gives them just one free card (might be too much) he's got the chance to take their whole stack, because they might interpret the flop bet as a bluff. When he checks the river afterwards he can be certain that they will raise. After their raise a shove will get them for sure. (the 4-th 9 comes as a bonus :D )
      So I would definately take the risk.