Rthai

• Rthai
      Rthai
      Bronze
      Hello. My name is Kade, and I am quite excited to start this course =D

Homework Lesson 1
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      First of all I find poker fun, it is also a challenge (psychologically) and it has math aspects. So 1 part of my motivation is I think it would make a great hobby. My 2nd reason is money. I would like to slowly build up a bankroll and eventually start supplementing my income from poker. Eventually I will play professionally. :D

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      I would say my biggest weakness is my lack of knowledge. I am still fairly new to the world of poker. I have only been seriously interested for a month or so. Another weakness is that I occasionally have trouble folding a hand. I also occasionally tilt.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      In my own words playing tight and aggressive is playing only certain hands in position while betting and raising instead of calling.

Some Questions to the Coach
      I also have some questions for whichever coach will be checking my homework. I am wondering which would be better for me to use Poker Tracker or Holdem Manager. Are there any threads on pokerstrategy that discuss the pros and cons of each? Which one is used more by poker players?

Thank you :D
  • 4 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello Kade,

Welcome to the course.

For more information on each lesson please visit this link: Welcome to the No Limit Beginners Course Forums

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Bogdan
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello Kade,

Well done, homework 1 complete !.

Regarding your question on either PT or HM:

I personally prefer Holdem Manager but Poker Tracker is good as well. Both will give you exactly what you need for the time being. I recommend that you try both products before you purchase either.

They both offer free trials of the full license.

As far as I know HM is used by more players.
    • Rthai
      Rthai
      Bronze
      Homework Lesson 2:
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why? Depending on the type of player you might play a little bit looser in position. Probably could play looser if you have position on a player that is Tight and passive.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.I find it quite easy following the starting hand chart, but would like to understand what types of hands to play if I were to play looser in postion. Also If someone could check this hand. 99 Mp3 I raised 99 from MP3 because UTG2 limped. Is that a bad move, should I have only raised if I was in postion?

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo. 46.32% equity.

Equity Win Tie
      MP2 46.32% 37.92% 8.41% AKo
      MP3 53.68% 45.27% 8.41% 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo

Question to the Coach
      Are there more regs and better players in NL2 FR Zoom versus NL2 FR. Would it be bad for me to play NL2FR Zoom starting out?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Rthai
      Homework Lesson 2:
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why? Depending on the type of player you might play a little bit looser in position. Probably could play looser if you have position on a player that is Tight and passive.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.I find it quite easy following the starting hand chart, but would like to understand what types of hands to play if I were to play looser in postion. Also If someone could check this hand. 99 Mp3 I raised 99 from MP3 because UTG2 limped. Is that a bad move, should I have only raised if I was in postion?

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo. 46.32% equity.

Equity Win Tie
      MP2 46.32% 37.92% 8.41% AKo
      MP3 53.68% 45.27% 8.41% 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo

Question to the Coach
      Are there more regs and better players in NL2 FR Zoom versus NL2 FR. Would it be bad for me to play NL2FR Zoom starting out?
      Hi Rthai,

Congrats,

Homework 2 complete.

I would say that you should not fear any regs at nl 2, 5 or even 10. Everyone is trying to get better and move up to the next limit and while you will see some regs that are better than others most are still beginners, just like you.

So I would say that the difference in reg quality between NL FR Zoom and NL2 FR is minimal. However, Nl FR Zoom will have more tighter regs because they can fold and just move on to the next hand.