[NL20-NL50] Nl25 Kj

• DarkAwi
      DarkAwi
      Bronze
      Party, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $35.13 (140.5 bb)
      BTN: $63.52 (254.1 bb)
      CO: $41.50 (166 bb)
      Hero (BB): $25 (100 bb)
      MP: $25 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J K
      MP folds, CO raises to $0.75, 2 folds, Hero raises to $2.50, CO calls $1.75

Flop: ($5.10) 5 9 J (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $2.50, Hero calls $2.50

Turn: ($10.10) K (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $7, Hero ???

First hand, had no HUD, but his name was familiar, so probably a reg. On the flop, I wanted to strenghten my checking range, as I often check/fold here, and if I bet, I can't bet/shove profitably here, so x/c seemed better than b/f. What should we play on the turn? He bets quite big, but there is a lot draw out there, and the board could get ugly on the river. Is check/shoving okay?
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi DarkAwi,

Preflop: I'm not a huge fan of 3-betting these type of hands in the blinds unless we do it for value. A lot of his calling range will dominate our hand postflop.

Postflop: As played I'd check/shove the turn. But why are you trying to "balance" your ranges at 25 nl against someone you barely play against (if you played a lot with him his name would be familiar and you'd know more about him). To me this sounds like you were afraid to bet the flop or didn't really know what to do (hence why we shouldn't 3-bet this hand to begin with).
    • DarkAwi
      DarkAwi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      Hi DarkAwi,

Preflop: I'm not a huge fan of 3-betting these type of hands in the blinds unless we do it for value. A lot of his calling range will dominate our hand postflop.
      He was familiar, played against him several times, but didn't remember anything specific, so I treated him as a standard reg. I don't like calling with these hands preflop from the blinds, but yeah, in BB its a bit better than from SB but still, my range will be capped if I call, can't really attack as many boards as with suited brodways (less BDFD, and flopped strong draws), so most of the time im forced to play fit or fold. He probably opens quite wide from CO so im ahead of his range, got K and J blockers, so I expect lot of folds, and if he calls, I don't go crazy if I hit TP, as you can see. From his calling range only KQ, and AJ will dominate me, which is not that much I think, if we look at a 25% CO range, he probably 4bets AK, KK, and JJ.

Originally posted by BogdanPS
      To me this sounds like you were afraid to bet the flop or didn't really know what to do (hence why we shouldn't 3-bet this hand to begin with).
      Thats not the case. Do you think I have 3 streets of value againts his 3bet calling range? Can we profitably bet/broke here? Checking seemed way more better to me, this way I under rep my hand, and can get value from his air, plus can get 1-2 streets value from his weaker hands like 9x, TT, TJs,QJs.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi DarkAwi,

In regards to the second quote, what exactly do you rep by check/calling the flop except maybe TT and Jx type hands?

I much rather bet flop, have him float, and then check the turn and give him a chance to bet more. That way we represent a lot more air/weak range and can get more money from him (imo).