A Few Questions

• Evilpopcorn
      Evilpopcorn
      Bronze
      Ok guys having a rough swing at 50c/$1. Was 80% done with the stake and now am almost back to even at the stake over 23K hands. Like when running bad i cant help but starting to question my plays. Have also gave the bronze articles a quick revision again. Just would like some oponions on what lines are best to take given scenarios.

Most of these scenarios revolve around those sort of players that play their hands face up. Or that is how it feels to me. The guys who only bet when they got a strong hand, never bet draws etc. I am building up a decent PT database of alot of the players and feel i need to start adjusting some of the bronze strategy to try save/win a few extra bets in some spots.

River Raises

Ok so lets say you have bet your top pair on the flop and turn. River the scare card drops. Be it the 3rd/4th suite, 4 card straight card, overcard etc.

Now my question revolves mostly around the guys with PT aggression factors of less than 1.3. When they make the raise on the river is it ok just to muck it? Ok sure lets also assume u getting atleast 7 to 1 on your money, so u just need to be ahead here atleast 16% of the time. Against the players with such a low AF is that enough ? Would you even be ahead 10% of the time ?

If they check raise are u ahead even 5% of the time ?

Playing QQ postflop with a capped pot preflop on a dry flop

Let say the action gets very aggressive on a dry flop against an opponent with a pfr of less than 8 and
      aggression factor of say less than 2. Lets say the aggression from his side continues on turn even. This sort of play doesnt do this with AK which is all that u beat. Feel like i am drawing too two out almost always on turn and maybe even i am can come to this conclusion on the flop already. Isnt it a bit spewy calling down with QQ is this scenario ?

Ace High in a blinds battle

How do you guys value Ace high in a blinds battle on the different streets ? Calling down with Ace high ? Firing 2nd bullets with ace high ?
  • 33 replies
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Hi Evilpopcorn,

all 3 situations are so much sitution based that I can't give you a very good answer to them.
      The best you can do is post these hands (as you probably already do) to get a feelng when which decision is correct.
      Poker is a very complex game so it's nearly impossible o say that you should always do one thing.
      Recording a video for yourself (to review it and maybe catching some mistakes) or to let it judges in our forum is a great way to find hidden leaks. Maybe you play all 3 situation very well but you lose the money on other spots which you don't even recongize.
      You don't even have to add sound if you don't like to. Subtitles or nothing at all would do it as well (as long as these videos doesn't extend 20-30 minutes).

1) If you have a lot of hand of your opponents it's worth looking at the river AF AND the won SD when raised river. These two value give you a great idea of what is best. If he only win 60% of the hands with which he raises the river a call should be clear.
      Standard would be a fold against passive opponents. Against unknown or aggressive it's a all as they can use the scarecard to bluff you.

2)In these situatios you should back up early. If you are in position (HU) you raise the turn once and calldwon to more action. Our of position you check/raise/cap the flop and calldown to a turnraise. (No overcard to your QQ of course.)
      Your bad feeling here is probably because of your downswing. Don't let your feelings decide wat is best. It's hard and nobody can ignore it but folding an overpair is early never correct.

3) This is the most situation based part. In position you should nearly always bet the turn again if the flop was drawheavy and the turn is a blank. Your opponent may very well be just on a draw and you can take a free showdown and win if he doesn't improve.
      Without initiative you often call the flop once and if you haven't hit anything you can give up. There is no need to calldown A-high onyour limit yet asthere are plent of better situation to get value. Calling down too much often costs you more than you gain. If you want to get a feeling for this then post hands about these situations.
    • Evilpopcorn
      Evilpopcorn
      Bronze
      Thanks for the great reply as alwayz ciRith.

What software should i use to record the the video? Think i will do a 4 table 20min vid sometime to get some feedback from you guys.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Uhh I used a program for Linux but I couldn't record any audio.

Yoghi did some videos in his block. Maybe you can ask him how he did it. (Maybe there's a guide somewhere.)

You can google for Camtasia and try it on your own without instructions.
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Ye, I use Camtasia. I got Camtasia 3 for free, but I'm not sure if it still is. If it's not free there might be some other programs, but I don't know anything about those.

Camtasia is pretty self-explanatory, if you need any help just post it here and I can help you :) Always nice to see people who want to make vids.
    • Evilpopcorn
      Evilpopcorn
      Bronze
      Ok have recorded my vid. Where is the best place to upload it ?
    • Evilpopcorn
      Evilpopcorn
      Bronze
      My video is 21min long and 169MB in avi format. Is this ok ?
    • martizzo
      martizzo
      Bronze
      Its pretty big next time you should use 5 fps option. Then it would be 30-50MB
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      If you put it in a .rar it will be a bit smaller aswell.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Evilpopcorn
      My video is 21min long and 169MB in avi format. Is this ok ?
      Rapidshare only allows 100mb. You could split it or upload it to http://www.megaupload.com .
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      You can get a free account at screencast.com There is a link to it somewhere in the camtasia software...
    • Evilpopcorn
      Evilpopcorn
      Bronze
      http://rapidshare.com/files/138307802/Limit1.avi

rapidshare.com/files/138307802/Limit1.avi.html?killcode=52983241087057882

Ok guys this is my first vid. 4 tabling for 21min. Didnt put sound in as i havent got a good microphone yet and i am also quite sick at the moment. Please advise me of any changes i must make in the recording process to improve the video.

Self Analysis

1:20 AKo MP3
      Pre-flop very standard.

Good flop, but quite draw heavy especially being 4 ways. My 2bet is very standard trying to make all draws pay more, and if I am behind to AA/KK (only suspect UTG2 to have these) would like to find out.

Going into turn with initiative. Kinda surprised we are still 4 ways on turn. MP1 and BB stinks of weak pairs and draws which I all have crushed, so this is a great turn card. UTG3 leads here which I think is a very weird bet by him. What sort of hand would he bet/call on flop then donk turn against me here? I decide to 2-bet for two reasons. Firstly I think if he had a monster here checks it to me here almost always for the check raise because of my aggression on flop. Secondly to charge the other two players for their draws.

River is a horrible card. A lot of hands get there. The way the hand played out I like the check here on this river. A lot of other river cards I am definitely value betting to extract value from weaker pairs.

4:10 J10o BB defense against Button

Always hate not having stats on a guy when defending. Although I got assume his range is loosened a lot up on button even as an unknown so I defend.

Interesting flop here and really missing stats on button now. Decide to donk into him as he is going to miss that board a lot and I got two overcards and an up and down straight draw. Against a known aggressive opponent I might check raise flop and fire any card on turn.

Decide to continue with my draw even tho I am losing some fold equity with the third diamond now on the board. When he calls I am hoping to hit my draws or I am done with the hand.

River is a horrible card and even the tiny consideration I had for a third bullet is gone. If he was a tight weak player I would fire here thinking he would put me on at least a 9 and would fold out a lot of Ax Kx hands and even small pairs. Against unknown here I like the check/fold.

8:00 J10s MP2
      Made a mistake here should have raised it up pre-flop instead of folding.

15:55 JJ BB

Pre-flop standard.

Okish flop and continue with aggression. When I get raised behind me and the first player to act flat calls this I believe that I am drawing to the two jacks and with getting 10.7 to 1 on my money I fold. Got the SB beat most times, but the M1 has me crushed here and with the added times that SB will have me beat playing trappy I think fold here is good.

Turn out I was very wrong about the MP1, and right about the SB. So my question is against an unknown here is my play right ?

16.05 A2o BB Defense

Pre-flop standard.

Decide to float flop with ace high. This ok ?

Turn is a great card and seeing that earlier I showed down that J high against him earlier in a blind battle I like the check raise here.

River not the best card. I don’t like betting here cause I think I get called too much by better hands. Decided to check/call. I think that induces the button to bluff enough to make the check/call good. Altho maybe showing the Jack high earlier I can get value out of some other hands? With no stats on this player I still prefer the check/call.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Hi Evilpopcorn,

I fixed your link and made your original link unclickable as this is the one to delete the file. :)

I'll watch it later as the download takes a lot of time right now. :/
    • Evilpopcorn
      Evilpopcorn
      Bronze
      I fixed your link and made your original link unclickable as this is the one to delete the file.
      What a noob ! lol

Next time i will record the vid with less fps and also rar it as per reccomendations.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      I just copy the headlines out of your post if there are not more that I want to comment.

1:20 AKo MP3:
      I like you thoughts and on the river nearly everything arrived. You only beat KJ and you split with AK. Most madehands will donk to you on the river as they have to fear a check behind but anyway I don't see a valuebet here either. If they are very showdownbound then bet/folding the river is better.
      After seeing the results it would be a clear bet. If you knew that they play this way it's a bet. :) (Good that I made that comment above before seeing the showdown. ^^)

4:10 J10o BB defense against Button:
      I don't like that donkbet. It's nearly never correct to do so. If you don't want to check/raise here then just check/call.
      I like a check/raise here a lot as he can fold K-high, Q-high and maybe even A-high if he's a bit weak.
      Whenever you semibluff you want to see draw completing cards on the next street as they scare your opponent. He now even might fold A-high if he holds no :diamond: himself.
      The river is really ugly and giving up is the best against most opponent. (Only against opponent who have a wts lower than 33 I would try another bet as most will call A-high again.)

5:30 JTs lower left:
      You get 7:1 on the flop with 4 clear gutshot outs and 1,5 backdoorflushdraw outs. You need 6 outs to continue but you can give yourself around 1-2 BB (2-4 SB = 9:1-11:1) implied odds if you hit.
      Sometimes you even have your J and T as an out if he has 77-99.

15:55 JJ BB:
      I like your fold here even against unknown. The board is very dry and you are nearly always behind against a raiser and coldcaller. Sure sometimes they raise a 7 and the other calls an OESD but even these hands have outs against you and if you call you call to see a showdown and I you often put in your money with the worth hand and so it's just not worth it continuing here.
      Good fold.
      Against only the raiser I would call the flop and reevaluate on the turn. Most of the time folding if he bets again is the best play but folding the flop directly is ok as well.

16.05 A2o BB Defense:

Most of the time it's pretty easy to find out if it's ok to calldown or to fold directly. If an K or Q comes you are most of the time not able to calldown and just keep that in mind right now.

Here is the advanced concept which you will find in the platinum section but I think it might be interesting for you:

Board: Kh 9h 6c
      Dead:

Equity Gewonnen UnentschiedenVerloren Hand
      Spieler 1: 72.965 % 67.293 % 11.342 % 21.364 % 22+, A2s+, K2s+, Q6s+, J7s+, T8s+, 98s, 87s, 76s, A2o+, K7o+, Q9o+, J9o+
      Spieler 2: 27.035 % 21.364 % 11.342 % 67.293 % As2h

So no just fold the flop directly. Whenever you come to less than 37% equity it's better to fold directly.

The turnplay is a bit complicated. He knows (if he is a good player) that you donkbet your draws so he will bet the turn again. On gerneral I like a donkbet on this turn more as it's very scary for him. If you had a draw then you hit and he might check behind with his pocketpairs. If the A is no :heart: then check/raising should be better.
      Against him it's fine to check/raise as as mentioned above he might remember that you donk your draws.

Board: Ah Kh 9h 6c
      Dead:

Equity Gewonnen UnentschiedenVerloren Hand
      Spieler 1: 31.350 % 26.618 % 9.465 % 63.917 % 22+, A2s+, K2s+, Q6s+, J7s+, T8s+, 98s, 87s, 76s, A2o+, K7o+, Q9o+, J9o+
      Spieler 2: 68.650 % 63.917 % 9.465 % 26.618 % As2h

If he calls your check/raise then he either has an ace himself, a king or a pocketpair with which he likes to catch a bluff on your side. Any ace is better, a king is better and his bluffcatchers will check behind so I like bet/fold here more to get another call from a pocketpair.

86s (last hands):
      This can be completes as well as you get ggreat odds. No must if it's not on your charts yet.

I like the idea of your self-analyses as I can answer a bit more specific.
      Well played.
    • Evilpopcorn
      Evilpopcorn
      Bronze
      5:30 JTs lower left:
      You get 7:1 on the flop with 4 clear gutshot outs and 1,5 backdoorflushdraw outs. You need 6 outs to continue but you can give yourself around 1-2 BB (2-4 SB = 9:1-11:1) implied odds if you hit.
      Sometimes you even have your J and T as an out if he has 77-99.
      Ok need some more explanation here please. I am getting 7.2 to 1 pot odds. Got the 4 gut shot outs. I am unsure how to factor in my back door draw if its only one card to come. i assume from above its 1.5 outs per backdoor draw?

When i did the calc in my head i just looked at it as gutshot, and needing 11 to 1 to call, and as factoring in the 2-4SB i can get out with implied odds it was break even at best in my head. So i put it down.

ciRith thanks for the feedback REALLY appreciate it!

So how often should i make a vid for evaluation? Also would it be beter with me going through my thoughts during the vid, or recording without commentary and posting my analysis with the vid?

I think this is such an awsome way to get analysis of ones game and really wouldnt mind making vids on a regular basis.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      I like both ways. A video with comments is more interesting and you visualises your thoughts which will help you improving your game faster so that should be the best way to do.

A backdoorflushdraw (with both of your hole cards) is worth 1,5 outs on the flop. A mod made a calculation about it so I take that as given and just use it.
      A backdoorstraightdraw is most of the time woth around 0,5 outs and in the best case 1,5. That depends on the draws you will hit on the turn. If you are only able to hit a guitshot then it's les worth than hitting an OESD.

You can record your sessions and review them just by yourself. Often you notice mistakes this way.
      I recommend you to make a new video for us if you are unsure about your game (downswing) or if you come to a new limit.
    • Evilpopcorn
      Evilpopcorn
      Bronze
      I play limit at Poker Stars. I work my life around my 4 hour poker sessions. My life being final year project and sports.

At the moment i am putting my 4 hour session from 22:30 - 02.30 ET. Do you guys think this is the most +EV time to spend playing?
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Most +EV is to play when you're ready and real life >>>> poker (I fail to do it, but it's the truth :P )
    • Evilpopcorn
      Evilpopcorn
      Bronze
      lol @ yoghi

yes real life is important, but i am fortunate enough to be able to chose when i wana play my 4 hours of poker a day. So i just wana know when those 4 hours should be spent.