CO: 107.8 BB
      BTN: 38.8 BB
      SB: 32 BB
      BB: 51.6 BB
      Hero (UTG): 107.4 BB
      UTG+1: 145.4 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has A:spade: K:spade:

Hero raises to 3 BB, UTG+1 calls 3 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, BTN calls 3 BB, fold, fold

Flop: (10.4 BB, 3 players) A:club: T:spade: A:heart:
      Hero bets 7 BB, UTG+1 calls 7 BB, fold

Bet for Value/Protection

Turn: (24.4 BB, 2 players) K:club:
      Hero bets 13 BB, UTG+1 calls 13 BB
      Great card I have the nuts. Villian could have a straight at this point.

River: (50.4 BB, 2 players) J:club:
      Hero bets 42 BB, fold

Should I bet big or small here? Villain could have straight or Ax. I bet big because villain is fish and I feel given how the hand played out and what's on the board he's going to have a some sort of hand such as 3 pair, straight or a smaller house he is a weak player and I feel he has a good enough hand that I can get a good value from him or should I have bet small on this scary board to induce a call?

Hero wins 48.4 BB
  • 1 reply
    • mbml

Flop: bet larger, 8bb is fine

Turn: Bet larger again. Villain's range is QJ/KQ/KJ/KT type of hands, and also some AX. All those are unlikely to fold to a larger bet of 18BB.

River: Now what worse hands are you targeting now? If you want to target straights, you should opt for a check/raise allin on the River (assuming he's aggro enough to bet a straight himself). I prefer c/r to overbetting river.

If you want to target a wider range of QX and AX, then a half pot bet makes more sense. I think making an "in-between" bet size of >half pot but less than pot is sub-optimal cos he would just fold AX anyway IMO and you would lose value vs QX.

Another option is to bet a really silly amount of 20-25% of the pot. In this way, we don't let AX see a free river (go for thin value), and QX will be incentivised to raise vs smaller bets (which allows this play to reap the benefits of the c/r vs the half pot thin value bet)