AK right play?

• lupara
      lupara
      Bronze
      Pacific, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (MP): $6.18 (309 bb)
      CO: $0.46 (23 bb)
      BTN: $1.97 (98.5 bb)
      SB: $0.76 (38 bb)
      BB: $1.13 (56.5 bb)
      UTG: $1.79 (89.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K A
      UTG raises to $0.06, Hero raises to $0.18, 4 folds, UTG raises to $0.30, Hero raises to $6.18 and is all-in, UTG calls $1.49 and is all-in

Flop: ($3.61) 5 T 6 (2 players, 2 are all-in)
      Turn: ($3.61) 3 (2 players, 2 are all-in)
      River: ($3.61) 9 (2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results:
      $3.61 pot ($0.22 rake)
      Final Board: 5 T 6 3 9
      Hero showed K A and lost (-$1.79 net)
      UTG showed 9 9 and won $3.39 ($1.60 net)
  • 4 replies
    • patszerdonk
      patszerdonk
      Bronze
      Without specific read, this is a correct play (100 bb or less effective stack)
      But you have to able to accept variance (not tilt). If you can't then its maybe better to fold to 3bet or open call 2bet.
    • derkraemer
      derkraemer
      Bronze
      The pocket pair is just a very slight favorite, almost coinflip. So I think the play is not really wrong. From the pre-flop betting I would say that your opponent made the weaker play, since he should consider running against one of the five possible higher pocket pairs.... For him the best he can get is a coinflip in this hand and many times he will be a huge underdog...

But why not simply call him with AK, and wait if the flop is in you favour. In this hand the flop is horrible for you, because with only 1 overcard he will likely push after the flop. But in that case you can fold an will only loose 6 cent instead of 1,79. ( or 30 cents if you call instead of making the all-in move , because the 18 cent raise is not such a bad idea to get people with mediocre hands out )

Playing coinflips for the whole stack always includes the risk of loosing a lot of chips due to variance when You only expect to break even in the long run. So even if you didnt make a big mistake in playing that way You must keep in mind that You will loose every 2nd time in situations like this....
    • fastliketiger
      fastliketiger
      Bronze
      I think its important to note you are 3betting an UTG raiser who then min 4bets you and you jam on him. Without reads or dynamics (vs specific regs at the limit) this is almost certainly a losing play as by just open shoving you fold him off the only hands you dominate; get called by hands you are flipping with like 10s JJ QQ and called by hands that have you crushed AA/KK.

The main reason I am happy to stack off AK pre vs SPECIFIC opponents is that i know for a fact that i am almost always flipping or ahead of the rare AQ/AJ/KQss and not only that but for metagame reasons stacking off with AK (with A and K blockers which severely limits combos of KK/AA) is a lot more likely to get you preflop action when you have AA/KK. I have regs that I have 4000 hands on (who probably have the same on me) stacking off 300bb~ with AKs vs my AA BvB at 50NL.

Let me TLDR it for you - you should not be shoving AKo pre here because you expect the hand itself to make you money but MORE because by getting it in with AKo you are more likely to induce action from worse in future if you are playing vs competent note taking players.

The problem being this is 2NL and you can pick better spots and keep in mind at micros nowadays you are making your money from sets, straights and flushes and not TPTKs as the fish have evolved and put everyone on ACE KING and ACE QUEEN in their head and now try to play based on that.
    • Guthans
      Guthans
      Silver
      Originally posted by fastliketiger
      The problem being this is 2NL and you can pick better spots and keep in mind at micros nowadays you are making your money from sets, straights and flushes and not TPTKs as the fish have evolved and put everyone on ACE KING and ACE QUEEN in their head and now try to play based on that.
      That statement based on what hand sample?