This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] [SH] Raise flop sizing?

• GreenPiece
      GreenPiece
      Bronze
      PokerStars - $0.05 NL (6 max) ZOOM - Holdem - 6 players

Opponents unknown

BTN: $5.00
      SB: $6.38
      Hero (BB): $5.05
      UTG: $5.31
      MP: $17.42
      CO: $4.48

SB posts SB $0.02, Hero posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero has 8:club: 8:spade:

fold, MP raises to $0.15, fold, fold, SB raises to $0.25, Hero calls $0.20, MP calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.75, 3 players) 5:spade: 7:spade: 4:spade:
      SB bets $0.20, Hero ?
  • 5 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

I'll probably call once and fold the Turn. I'm not sure why you are thinking of raising here. I don't think we have value, and if he jams we are probably screwed.
    • GreenPiece
      GreenPiece
      Bronze
      He decided to bet between 1\4 and 1\3 pot (I don't want to let the opponents gather their draws whatever they are for such a low price), it's hardly a value hand. My hand is very vulnerable in spite of FD and GS (which is almost worthless). On monotone boards some opponents may even fold overpairs without a spade. So these factors incline me to raise here. Of course, if I face a re-raise, I'm folding it.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      i think the decision process should be simpler

1) Can you raise this for value?
      2) Can you raise this as a bluff?

I think that the answer is no to both. You could argue for raising just to take down the pot immediately because future street playability is a bluff but i think our hand clearly falls into the medium strength category and I don't really want to raise here.
    • GreenPiece
      GreenPiece
      Bronze
      Yes, I agree that it's a medium value hand but have a question: how low should the opponent bet in the way we don't really pay attention to his action (say, mindonk is almost the same as a check)?
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      well people almost never make bets between 10-20% of the pot, but if I had to give you an answer, I would say any bet under 15% will be treated as a check by me.