[NL20-NL50] NL50 99 turn

• double2
      double2
      Coach
      Coach
      Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $68.09 (136.2 bb)
      BB: $23.74 (47.5 bb)
      UTG: $49.98 (100 bb)
      MP: $50 (100 bb)
      CO: $61.68 (123.4 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $74.65 (149.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 9 9
      UTG folds, MP raises to $1.50, CO folds, Hero calls $1.50, 2 folds

Flop: ($3.75) 5 A A (2 players)
      MP bets $2, Hero calls $2

Turn: ($7.75) 6 (2 players)
      MP checks, Hero checks

River: ($7.75) J (2 players)
      MP checks, Hero checks

Results:
      $7.75 pot ($0.35 rake)
      Final Board: 5 A A 6 J
      MP showed 8 8 and lost (-$3.50 net)
      Hero showed 9 9 and won $7.40 ($3.90 net)

MP 2.1k hands
      27/21/6.9%
      open MP 19%
      cbet flop 65%
      cbet turn 33%
      turn skipped cbet -> c/f 7 in 7
      WTSD 23%
      WWSF 41%
      Agg freq 38/25/31

bet or not? I might get value from 77-88 bit may auto-value bet myself vs TT-KK, maybe Ax.
  • 5 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey,

In these really close spots I think you should experiment with rly small bets. You are likely to have the best hand, it's hard to get value from worst with a normal sizing but smaller sizings should induce more calls, a lot of out pure curiosity too.. Have you tried that so far in such spots when you both look like having mediocre hands?
    • double2
      double2
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      Hey,

In these really close spots I think you should experiment with rly small bets. You are likely to have the best hand, it's hard to get value from worst with a normal sizing but smaller sizings should induce more calls, a lot of out pure curiosity too.. Have you tried that so far in such spots when you both look like having mediocre hands?
      Never tried it actually. But have heard of it some days ago when I watched a coach by Oblioo, I think the spot was similar. I'm gonna try to remember to try that out.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by double2
      Hey,

Never tried it actually. But have heard of it some days ago when I watched a coach by Oblioo, I think the spot was similar. I'm gonna try to remember to try that out.
      Ah, just noticed you asked about the turn in title. My idea was for river. For turn it can still apply.. when you bet turn you also uncap your range so you can get away with cheaper bluffs and get more FE on river because of how weaker their river range is when they get there while yourself, you can still rep value hands.
    • double2
      double2
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by double2
      Hey,

Ah, just noticed you asked about the turn in title. My idea was for river. For turn it can still apply.. when you bet turn you also uncap your range so you can get away with cheaper bluffs and get more FE on river because of how weaker their river range is when they get there while yourself, you can still rep value hands.
      So, if you have bet that turn would you consider turning 99 into bluff and bet again on river?

I suppose the point is to make TT/QQ/KK fold?

I think I would prefer betting small turn and chk back river. I make it easier for him to call with 77/88 and I make him fold equity (Broadways...)
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      In this specific case, you check back river with 99 but you would do that turn bet with all your turn range so you can bluff river when necessary.

My initial thought was for river only though like I mentioned. :)