[NL20-NL50] ATo 3b

• GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      iPoker - $0.50 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 28.64 BB (VPIP: 13.15, PFR: 11.52, 3Bet Preflop: 7.55, Hands: 671)
      UTG: 100 BB (VPIP: 30.77, PFR: 28.21, 3Bet Preflop: 11.54, Hands: 201)
      MP: 37 BB (VPIP: 19.32, PFR: 17.71, 3Bet Preflop: 10.00, Hands: 1,616)
      CO: 115.8 BB (VPIP: 21.55, PFR: 18.40, 3Bet Preflop: 10.00, Hands: 422)
      BTN: 89 BB (VPIP: 14.29, PFR: 14.29, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 8)
      Hero (SB): 198.3 BB

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A:club: T:heart:

fold, fold, CO raises to 3 BB, fold, Hero raises to 10 BB, fold, CO calls 7 BB

Flop: (21 BB, 2 players) J:heart: 5:club: T:club:
      Hero checks, CO bets 10.5 BB, Hero calls 10.5 BB

Turn: (42 BB, 2 players) A:diamond:
      Hero checks, CO bets 22 BB, Hero calls 22 BB

River: (86 BB, 2 players) 3:club:
      Hero checks, CO bets 73.3 BB, Hero calls 73.3 BB

CO shows K:heart: Q:club: (Straight, Ace High) (Pre 40%, Flop 45%, Turn 91%)
      Hero mucks A:club: T:heart: (Two Pair, Aces and Tens) (Pre 60%, Flop 55%, Turn 9%)
      CO wins 226.6 BB

I 3b because he folds 80%.

I am not sure how to proceed on postflop.
  • 4 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi GingerKid,

Preflop: Since he folds so much to 3-bets i don't mind the 3-bet with blockers.

Postflop: Since he called our 3-bet that means he has a stronger range and we should be careful how we proceed.

I think that bet/folding flop is far superior to check calling when we face a guy like him.

Do we have any info on his postflop play? Given how we played our hand it's possible that he is trying to get us off our hand (if he is aggro) since it looks weak so it's hard to fold. He polarized his range to KQ/JJ/TT or some club draw but since we block the Ac he can't have many of those.

However, the real question is, what hands can he really turn into a bluff there? QJ, small pairs? What else? Can he play AQ like this? Very unlikely.

So since I can't see what worse can play like this I think the river is a fold.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      I'll have a go:

He folds 80% pre?

C/F flop? He always has the nuts and won't fold? Our 3bet is +ev in a vacuum so we can just give up?

Better answer:

His pfr overall is 18.4 so positionally I'm guessing something like this:

BU: 40
      CO: 30
      HJ: 15
      EP: 12

a 30% open not skewed to suited cards might = 22+ Ax, KT+ QT+ JT+ JTo and SC's from 65s up.

if he folds 80% he calls 6% range which = 88+ ATs+ AQo+ and KQ

Of that 99 and 88 fold which is not very good FEQ. C/C doesn't seem good either so C/F now seems a lot nicer than folding.

You can fiddle about a bit and get a better answer based on what he might really call preflop
    • GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      Hi GingerKid,

Preflop: Since he folds so much to 3-bets i don't mind the 3-bet with blockers.

Postflop: Since he called our 3-bet that means he has a stronger range and we should be careful how we proceed.

I think that bet/folding flop is far superior to check calling when we face a guy like him.

Do we have any info on his postflop play? Given how we played our hand it's possible that he is trying to get us off our hand (if he is aggro) since it looks weak so it's hard to fold. He polarized his range to KQ/JJ/TT or some club draw but since we block the Ac he can't have many of those.

However, the real question is, what hands can he really turn into a bluff there? QJ, small pairs? What else? Can he play AQ like this? Very unlikely.

So since I can't see what worse can play like this I think the river is a fold.
      I agree. I could only hope that he turns his 88.99 into bluff, but when I check it looks I am giving up, so it depends if he would try to take down the pot (and continue bluffing later), or try to see free showdown. He could also do that with AQ (AK, JJ+ he stacks off preflop), but probably he doesnt shove AQ. Conclusion, not so many bluffs on river, and he beats me with AJ, KQ (also not so many better hands).
      Generally I am not folding 2 Pairs in 3bet pots 100bb (usually it is the best hand), but on this board it was difficult.

The way I played this hand was closing my eyes and clicking on call because I didnt have idea how to proceed, but I guess now I learned it
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      @DaPhunk: that's a rough estimation but you are on the right track. Well done. Keep in mind that you forgot to account for 4-bets as he may not be calling a lot of the hands listed there.

@GingerKid: One reason why you may have not have an idea how to proceed was because you didn't plan the hand in advance, meaning that we would think what would happen if he called (the only option where we still need a reaction).

However, in this case, where villains range is quite tight we can play a fit/fold game most often.