[NL20-NL50] NL25 Zoom KJo bluff 4bet

• Absolutism
      Absolutism
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $26.48 (105.9 bb)
      Hero (SB): $25 (100 bb)
      BB: $34.89 (139.6 bb)
      UTG: $41.98 (167.9 bb)
      MP: $25 (100 bb)
      CO: $26.53 (106.1 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K J
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.75, BB raises to $2.25, Hero raises to $6, BB calls $3.75

Flop: ($12) 4 5 9 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $6.75, Hero folds

Results:
      $12 pot ($0.54 rake)
      Final Board: 4 5 9
      Hero mucked K J and lost (-$6 net)
      BB mucked and won $11.46 ($5.46 net)

Villain is 22/22, 20% 3bet (only 18 hands). Seems like a reg.

I get a lot of flatcalls to 4bets IP, which still suprises me. The question is, should i cbet some boards, and which boards, with which betsize?

I mean, if i would have JJ+ here, i would bet 1/3 of the pot three times. But im scared about 1/3 potting the flop as a bluff, ppl will call me so light here (i guess any AQs, AJs, 77-88 will call me here).

My guess is that a 4bet calling range maybe looks like:

TT-88,AQs-A9s,KJs+,QJs,AQo-AJo,KQo

But i dont know, since im never flatting 4bets (only with AA, KK sometimes). This range does not hit this flop at all, so a bluff seems to be in order. Should i cbet maybe halfpot here, and give it up if i get called?
  • 3 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

Preflop: I think your 4bet size is way too large here. Here you are risking 5.75 to win 8.25, which means that your bluff needs to work ~70% of the time which is ridiculously high. I would make it smaller, I think $5 should suffice.

Flop: I think this really boils down to how wide you think your opponent is flatting you here. If you think his range contains suited Aces, suited connectors and some broadways, this would definitely be a cbet when we have backdoor FD + 2 overs. If we think villain's range is highly weighted towards AQ/pocket pairs then we should just c/f here cos I don't expect too much fold equity.

In this case because of your super huge 4bet size I would just c/f here.
    • Absolutism
      Absolutism
      Bronze
      In my experience, ppl nowadays flat 4bets very often in spots like bb vs sb and bu vs co, thats why i usually make it almost 3x when i'm OOP, and smaller when i'm IP (cause they rarely flat when they are OOP).

Im just scared to 4bet 5$ here, and if i get flatted by any suited broadways, Axs's, 66-JJ, what can i do? If i should cbet a lot in this case (cause he is very wide), what sizeing should i use? Halfpot, or 1/3 is ok?
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Don't be afraid of getting called. If you are afraid of getting called, then shouldn't you be opening to 5 or 6 BB everytime you enter the pot with a raise?

We still have the initiative and we can cbet the Flop. Our range is uncapped, our opponent's range probably is capped (assuming he usually jams QQ+/AK preflop). On dry textures when both players miss, you win. Also I don't think people are calling 4bets as often as you think they are.

In short, I think a smaller 4bet just has way more advantages than a larger one. How large would I cbet here? I think 40% pot should be the standard, you can even go lower to 1/3 pot if the board is really great, like K55r or A22r.