[NL2-NL10] 22 Sb

• Rthai
      He kept on betting min, and by the river I felt he might have top pair or two pair, so I went all in. Please tell me how this should be played?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      SB (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is SB with 2, 2.
      7 folds, Hero calls $0.01, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.04) 5, Q, 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $0.02, Hero calls $0.02.

Turn: ($0.08) J (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $0.02, Hero calls $0.02.

River: ($0.12) 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.48, BB calls $0.91.

Final Pot: $3.51.
      Results follow:

BB shows two pairs, jacks and twos(J 2).
      Hero shows three of a kind, twos(2 2).

Hero wins with three of a kind, twos(2 2).
  • 1 reply
    • mbml

Preflop: easy raise here. stealing is way better than limping unless you think that BB is going to give u a lot of problems by 3betting a ton. Anyway 22 is always a part of my default opening range and I'm never folding this hand vs anyone. By raising we can either take down the 3cents in the pot immediately, or if he calls we can bet at the Flop and try to take it down.

Postflop is not really relevant, I don't think you should ever put yourself into this spot cos raising is just far superior to calling in the SB.

About the Overbet

I'm not telling you to be trappy and tricky by making min bets or min raises but you should make normal sized raises or bets. From the 2 hands you posted I think you are often afraid of getting sucked out on, or maybe you are playing overly greedy. Think about it this way.

Is it better to bet 2$ and get called by 10 hands? Or is it better to bet 6$ and get called by 1 hand? We want to be maximizing our value vs an entire range right? Usually the normal bet size gives us more value than the overbet.

Overbetting could be good under certain circumstances though, especially if we have the nuts and expect our opponent to be pretty strong as well. But I don't think your opponent displayed any signs of strength in both hands and in a sense I would say you got lucky that you ran into the top of their range and managed to cooler them.