[NL2-NL10] NL5SH - 44 flopped set

• muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      Villain was unknown

Turn: When villain x/c's the flop I think his range is predominantly AX and FD's. When he donks the turn I think he stll has a lot of AX with no heart that now want to protect or made flushes.

I can either call and re-evaluate river hoping to call down something like 1/2 pot on some non- :heart: rivers and obviously raise if I improve.

OR

I can raise/broke the turn and try to get value from some of his TP+ type hands.

I opted to call and re-evaluate because I wasn't sure villain would play bet/broke with TP and therefore I might only ISO myself vs JJ/99 or flushes. I think in hindisght villain would probably be prepared to go broke with a lot of TP type hands, especially 2pr combos and those with a redraw. Also I still have 10 outs to make FH or quads unless villain had JJ/99 which is only 6 combos.

River: Villain might now have some 2pr combos that have improved to better full houses but he can also go broke with trips and flushes IMO, so just raised and got it in.

PokerStars - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

CO: $14.17
      Hero (BTN): $8.07
      SB: $1.83
      BB: $5.08
      UTG: $10.46
      MP: $17.85

SB posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has 4:spade: 4:heart:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.12, fold, BB calls $0.07

Flop: ($0.26, 2 players) 4:club: 9:heart: A:heart:
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.18, BB calls $0.18

Turn: ($0.62, 2 players) J:heart:
      BB bets $0.75, Hero calls $0.75

River: ($2.12, 2 players) A:diamond:
      BB bets $0.60, Hero raises to $2.00, BB raises to $3.40, Hero raises to $7.02 and is all-in, BB calls $0.63 and is all-in

Hero shows 4:spade: 4:heart: (Full House, Fours full of Aces) (Pre 68%, Flop 99%, Turn 95%)
      BB shows 4:diamond: J:spade: (Two Pair, Aces and Jacks) (Pre 32%, Flop 1%, Turn 5%)
      Hero wins $9.76
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Muel,

Preflop: looks fine

Flop: could be a bigger cbet.

Turn: Villain overbets the turn so if he does that for value/protection I doubt he is ever folding.

He may be trying a bluff with that amount or bet a small flush. I doubt that many flushes (big ones) will play like that so both options are fine. Calling allows him to bluff river if he misses. Shoving would get the money in now before the board gets uglier.

As played the river should be a direct shove, I'm not sure why you raise so small.
    • muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      Thanks BogdanPS

As played the river should be a direct shove, I'm not sure why you raise so small.

I think this is an example of me just clicking buttons and not thinking through decisions fully.

Obviously villain is never folding and A or made flush here and if he has anything less he would probably not call a smaller raise anyway, so I might as well just jam the river anyway I guess? Is this correct?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by muel294
      Thanks BogdanPS

I think this is an example of me just clicking buttons and not thinking through decisions fully.

Obviously villain is never folding and A or made flush here and if he has anything less he would probably not call a smaller raise anyway, so I might as well just jam the river anyway I guess? Is this correct?
      Yes,

You don't want to give him a chance to just call small flushes and Ax hands and lose value.

Plus your shove can look as a bluff and he will call light.