[NL2-NL10] NL5SH - A8s missed FD @ River

• muel294
      Villain was unknown at the time of the hand but I will have assumed that he was either a weak/reg or a recreational player since he did not sit with a full stack or add to full stack.

Preflop: Because I assumed that villain was a weak/recreational player I decided to isolate him for value here.

Flop: Semi-bluff the flop here. Might get some better hands to fold (better A-hi and PP's) and some worse FD's to call.

Turn: I figured that this is a horrible card to barrel on because it is less likely that I had TP on the flop and now improve to trips, so my percieved range is mostly overpairs and draws / bluffs. In addition, if villain has trips I risk getting x/raised off my hand and the paired board de-values my flush draw because I could be drawing dead now.

River: Now that villain has checked three streets to me I figure that he either has a missed draw or a pair that he is planning on x/c'ing, so didn't see any point in bluffing. Plus I think that my A-hi will be good here quite frequently.

PokerStars - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

MP: $4.00
      Hero (CO): $5.00
      BTN: $5.41
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $8.70
      UTG: $4.07

SB posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has 8:spade: A:spade:

UTG calls $0.05, fold, Hero raises to $0.20, fold, SB calls $0.18, fold, UTG calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.65, 3 players) 9:spade: 5:spade: 4:heart:
      SB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $0.40, fold, UTG calls $0.40

Turn: ($1.45, 2 players) 9:diamond:
      UTG checks, Hero checks

River: ($1.45, 2 players) 3:club:
      UTG checks, Hero checks

UTG shows 8:diamond: 7:diamond: (One Pair, Nines) (Pre 32%, Flop 17%, Turn 11%)
      Hero shows 8:spade: A:spade: (One Pair, Nines) (Pre 68%, Flop 83%, Turn 89%)
      Hero wins $1.39
  • 1 reply
    • BogdanPS
      Hi Muel,

Preflop: looks fine

Postflop: I agree with your thought process and you are spot on.

We have the best hand that's not a pair and beat almost all of his draws so there's no point in betting.