[NL20-NL50] nl25 sh Q9s

• DrDunne
      Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 4 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BB): $38.83 (155.3 bb)
      CO: $27.73 (110.9 bb)
      BTN: $32.14 (128.6 bb)
      SB: $24.25 (97 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9 Q
      CO folds, BTN raises to $0.50, SB folds, Hero calls $0.25

Flop: ($1.10) 8 3 6 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.75, Hero raises to $2.30

villain = reggy, 21/17 over 71 hands. RFI otb = 40% and cbet ~60%, but then sample sucks so these last stats obv arent so helpful.

this is a play that i VERY rarely make lately. basically i went through my database a while back and realised it was a huge leak of mine - i was flatting in the blinds with PPs, missing my set and checkraising lots of flops/not continuing on turns&rivers. obv got called by A TON of weak made hands that still beat me, so i'm extremely unsure about using this play as a bluff. on the flip side it leads to some really cool thin value spots against some guys i think..

ive recently started to understand that checkraising PPs is often bad, and that it's better to checkraise with backdoor equity to give ourselves room to barrel. so here i decided to give it a shot. what do you think? actually just noticed that flatting in the BB with Q9s is probably not a great idea...... :D

• 1 reply
    • mbml

Preflop: Q9s is a very easy flat here vs a minraise, it's not a good idea, it's a great idea. It just plays really well vs wide ranges and pot odds are so sick at 22% and Q9s easily has that.

Flop: I think the check/raise is fine, we can just barrel any 7/T/diamond/Q. Knowing his fold F cbet vs raise would help too.