Anyone tried the double or nthing SNG format?

• JimmyPap
      JimmyPap
      Bronze
      OnGame is offering a new form of sng's called "Double or Nothing" where instead of top 3 getting paid out, 5 are getting paid and they get double the buy-in.

I dont have an account on any onGame site, but I wonder if anyone tried them.

From some first thoughts on it.. It cant be bad for an experienced sng-er.. doubling the buyin 3-4 out of 5 games seems soo doable..
  • 69 replies
    • jasty2k
      jasty2k
      Bronze
      I am playing them.

It's like other SNG's, but you have to learn how to push or fold at the bubble.
      ( You will learn to fold AA and KK )

I think there is less variance too.

They are a bit boring, and maybe not a good way to learn how to play poker.
      But level is bad, in 5.5$ and 10$ so its ok to make some cash.

You can expect to win 60-70% of them and get a ROI of 10-20% depending of your skill.

Just a tip : when there are 5 players left, the game isnt over, and everyone goes all in ( some ppl just close the game and go away )
      But you SHOULD REALLY play untill the end, because sometimes, everyone leave, and the game is frozen and .... noones get the reward ...
    • JimmyPap
      JimmyPap
      Bronze
      Just saw there are Turbos DorN in Titan now too :P

So I played a set there.. 4/4 in the money..

from my VERY SMALL experience.. I can say they are sooo damn easy..
      you just need to be a little more patient than the other sngs..

About your tip, at least in Titan, when you get to 5 players.. it stops.

As for the boredom factor.. you can easilly play double the tables you usually play. If you are a bit good.. you can get more than 80% in the money..

no need to take risks.. just push on small stacks when you get the chance when players are 7 or 6..
    • arjun2001
      arjun2001
      Bronze
      Im gonna make a deposit just to play these games, sounds interesting.

But aren't the people mad tight in early stages? How does someone get out in these games?
    • jasty2k
      jasty2k
      Bronze
      I didn't treyd them on TITAN.

When it started on ongame, it was quite easy, and then ppl learnt to play them, so it begin to be hard.

At the moment i play them by set of 8, and it takes 1 hour to end them.
      Maybe I should try the turbo's ones en titan, not sure.

I have no HUD for ongame SNG, and it would help me
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      They aren't actually a new concept, Ladbrokes have had them for a while afaik.

I think this comes down to a risk/reward issue. Your ITM % is obviously going to be higher and variance of course reduces. But for the player who is consistently making Top 3 finishes in his limit anyway, these are very unattractive imo.

For the beginner I can see them being appealing however.
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      hey all...

I found the D/N sngs a couple days ago.... was curious so I started playing them... very interesting.... been playing the $1 games on titan... ITM 90% of the time... ATM I am playing 4 sng's at once.... 2x $1 D/N and 2x $0.50 10 person game.

My thinking is that the winning fromd the D/N pays the BI for the regular tourney, so any winning there is pure profit... Up til that point tended to breakeven, last 2 days have seen me go from $40 up to $65 in my BR. Been a nice change...

I generally play according to the starting hand charts, but when it comes push or fold time those that are normally maniacs at the micro limits are a little more honest and call less... I find it makes a good platform to practise the theory....

Cheers,

Nick
    • SharkySmurf
      SharkySmurf
      Bronze
      Played these on coral, i don't think they are much good if you want to learn proper poker.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      I've not played them. For a good player there is no point in these. In a normal SnG you have the chance to earn more money, if your a decent player.

I think that these are pretty good for beginners to give them a learning base. I dont think that these are good for grinding players though.

Stiev
    • ThiRdEyE7
      ThiRdEyE7
      Bronze
      Where are these "Double or Nothing" sng's on Titan?

I've had a good look but can't locate them - are they stilll running?

I am interested in trying them for a quick bankroll build.
    • Sai7
      Sai7
      Bronze
      it's called Turbo NLH Double Up
    • MackPDaddy
      MackPDaddy
      Bronze
      I've played them at PacificPoker they go from $2.50, $5 qnd $10 with 10 seats and $20, $50 $100 with 8 seats I've had some success but I would skip the $2.50 as you get some craziness there, although I've never stepped up above the $20, I've found playing very very tight and aggressive, just sitting back and waiting simply to survive avoid the urge to play and push hard when the opportunity presents itself, boredom really is your only enemy.
      it's not pretty but it works.
      Mack
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

I have give these a go over the last 2 days, to see what all the hype is about.

I have played about 25 of them, on the $33's and the $55's on titan. The level of play is awful. Going against anything I have said in the past, I will admit these are actually pretty good for grinding players.

They are taking about 30 minutes, so you can make a killing on the rakeback also. I'm gonne report back here next week. Hopefully with some nice stats and maths to share with you guys.

GL
      Stiev
    • RHart1985UKEngland
      RHart1985UKEngland
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SharkySmurf
      Played these on coral, i don't think they are much good if you want to learn proper poker.
      but a sng isnt real poker full stop period man.

best strategy for these d/n sngs in my opinion is to play the exact same way you play a turbo sng.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RHart1985UKEngland
      Originally posted by SharkySmurf
      but a sng isnt real poker full stop period man.

best strategy for these d/n sngs in my opinion is to play the exact same way you play a turbo sng.
      :baby:
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      ***best strategy for these d/n sngs in my opinion is to play the exact same way you play a turbo sng.***

pls teach me how u play turbo sng ... my lord :rolleyes:
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      IMO, these sng's should be approached in a whole different way, than normal sng's.
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      I've played a few at Mansion as a side game to the sng's or cash game. I play the $5 then take the winnings to the $10 and stop there if I win. Losing $20 would bother me too much since my bankroll was less than $150 during the time I was playing them.

Just the regular good solid tight game at the beginning (selective aggression) and a strong game at the bubble (don't be sissy) if I'm short-stacked seems like the way to go on these.
    • Semesa
      Semesa
      Bronze
      i played a few sets of $10 ones and i personally cant stand them.

i have a less than 15% ITM ratio. on the bubble i am almost always the shortest stack(due to TAG play) and every single time i make an ICM shove, ill get 5 callers who check it down.
    • masfe
      masfe
      Bronze
      When they started at ongame i played 77 SNG's. They were very easy to clear the bonus fast.

ITM: 61%
      ROI:12%
      $:+102$

Buy-in 10+1$

Now they are probably harder and not very profitable