This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] [SH] Blinds war

• GreenPiece
      GreenPiece
      Bronze
      PokerStars - $0.05 NL (6 max) ZOOM - Holdem - 6 players

Opponent unknown

BTN: $5.02
      SB: $6.11
      Hero (BB): $5.46
      UTG: $4.23
      MP: $5.21
      CO: $6.03

SB posts SB $0.02, Hero posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero has A:club: 8:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, fold, SB raises to $0.15, Hero calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.30, 2 players) T:heart: J:club: 9:diamond:
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.16, SB calls $0.16

Turn: ($0.62, 2 players) Q:club:
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.30, SB raises to $0.70, fold

SB wins $1.17

What do you think, can he have two pair here, or c\c c\r small is an absolute strength = K-straight here?
  • 3 replies
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      I don't really like betting on the flop and turn because the board is extremely draw heavy and almost nothing is folding.

When he check raises on the turn we only have a bluff catcher and cannot call bets on the river because I don't expect him to bluff. On the other hand he could improve to full houses or flush or already has a straight. Since so many hands can improve to beat us or already beat us I think folding on the turn is better.

Cgf
    • GreenPiece
      GreenPiece
      Bronze
      My thoughts were:
      1) when he attacks me he assumes my defensive range can somewhat connect with this board so he can actually fold his 22-77, maybe AK.
      2) on the turn he can continue calling two pair (if he decided to play tricky with them), smth like AQ maybe. By checking we allow K or 8 to come on the river and ruin our hand.

Or nevertheless checking is by any means better on both streets?
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      1) i dont think hes thinking so much about your range, he is probably thinking something like, i have a straight/2p so i check raise for value or i have a flush draw so i check raise as a bluff. if you noticed the range you gave him is pretty narrow 22-77 and AK, what about most of his range? they are behind us so we can actually check back and take a SD or bluff later.

2) he could call 2p but how much of that is in his range? compared to thrash/weak hands? i think we get more value from checking back and then calling a bet on the river since he could bluff on the river more than c/c 2p on the turn. we need to have a balance here, what is more important?

a. betting to protect our hand and get value from unlikely 2p hands
      b. checking to prevent a c/r bluff
      c. checking in order to induce a bluffbet on river.

i think a has the lowest priority while b and c are more important.