SB posts SB $0.02, Hero posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero has A:club: 8:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, fold, SB raises to $0.15, Hero calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.30, 2 players) T:heart: J:club: 9:diamond:
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.16, SB calls $0.16

Turn: ($0.62, 2 players) Q:club:
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.30, SB raises to $0.70, fold

SB wins $1.17

What do you think, can he have two pair here, or c\c c\r small is an absolute strength = K-straight here?
  • 3 replies
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      I don't really like betting on the flop and turn because the board is extremely draw heavy and almost nothing is folding.

When he check raises on the turn we only have a bluff catcher and cannot call bets on the river because I don't expect him to bluff. On the other hand he could improve to full houses or flush or already has a straight. Since so many hands can improve to beat us or already beat us I think folding on the turn is better.

Cgf
    • GreenPiece
      GreenPiece
      Bronze
      My thoughts were:
      1) when he attacks me he assumes my defensive range can somewhat connect with this board so he can actually fold his 22-77, maybe AK.
      2) on the turn he can continue calling two pair (if he decided to play tricky with them), smth like AQ maybe. By checking we allow K or 8 to come on the river and ruin our hand.

Or nevertheless checking is by any means better on both streets?
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      1) i dont think hes thinking so much about your range, he is probably thinking something like, i have a straight/2p so i check raise for value or i have a flush draw so i check raise as a bluff. if you noticed the range you gave him is pretty narrow 22-77 and AK, what about most of his range? they are behind us so we can actually check back and take a SD or bluff later.

2) he could call 2p but how much of that is in his range? compared to thrash/weak hands? i think we get more value from checking back and then calling a bet on the river since he could bluff on the river more than c/c 2p on the turn. we need to have a balance here, what is more important?

a. betting to protect our hand and get value from unlikely 2p hands
      b. checking to prevent a c/r bluff
      c. checking in order to induce a bluffbet on river.

i think a has the lowest priority while b and c are more important.