[NL2-NL10] Nl2 Rivered A5 Full House

• kalimann
      kalimann
      Basic
      Won a big hand with one of my favorite dealt hands, A5. After the flop I hope for a wheel but still am standing solid with a top pair and over card. Rest should speak for it self. (:

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      UTG2:
      $2.41
      MP1:
      $1.44
      MP2:
      $0.76
      MP3:
      $1.51
      CO:
      $4.29
      BU (Hero):
      $3.14
      SB:
      $2.63
      BB:
      $3.13
      UTG1:
      $1.63

Preflop: Hero is BU with 5, A.
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 raises to $0.08, 3 folds, CO calls $0.08, Hero calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.33) 3, 2, 5 (4 players)
      BB checks, UTG2 bets $0.22, CO calls $0.22, Hero raises to $0.88, BB calls $0.88, UTG2 folds, CO calls $0.66.

Turn: ($3.19) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, CO checks, Hero bets $0.96, BB folds, CO calls $0.96.

River: ($5.11) 3 (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $1.22, CO calls $1.22.

Final Pot: $7.55.
      Results follow:

CO shows two pairs, fives and fours(4 4).
      Hero shows a full-house, fives full of threes(5 A).

Hero wins with a full-house, fives full of threes(5 A).
  • 6 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Kalimann,

Hand is not strong enough to play preflop. Best option is to fold.

Flop raise is pretty thin. Too thin for value. It might be ok for protection/semi-bluff.

On the turn + river you should just be betting for value. I recommend larger bets on turn + river to make sure you put villain all-in.
    • kalimann
      kalimann
      Basic
      Thanks for the fast response!

I know it's a very speculative hand, that's why I love playing it. I like to mix up my play with these hands to keep villains at guess. I don't know, most often I don't do much with these kind of hands, but sometimes I've experienced an ace is enough in itself.

The flop raise is thin? How?
      Thin means it's too small right? Or?

I see how I could have betted bigger later on though.
    • kalimann
      kalimann
      Basic
      Bumping this to get reply. :)
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by kalimann
      I know it's a very speculative hand, that's why I love playing it. I like to mix up my play with these hands to keep villains at guess.
      Nothing wrong with playing speculative hands. Typically these should be things like suited connectors. The problem with A5o is that when it flop an Ace you can run into difficult situations where you might be outkicked.

Originally posted by kalimann
      The flop raise is thin? How?
      Thin means it's too small right? Or?
      It means that when either villain calls, unless they specifically have a 4x they are going to have you beat. You will be up against overpairs and sets a lot when you do get action. Most of the time something like a worse 5 will fold to your raise here because it looks strong. Thin in this context means you are not getting called by worse often at all.
    • kalimann
      kalimann
      Basic
      Thanks again, I didn't fully understand the thin-thing though. "Unless they specifically have 4x"?
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      on poker vocabulary:

thin value = when you don't really have a very strong hand, but still bet for value because you still perceive enough worse hands to be calling.
      something that often comes up is the topic of "making a thin value bet on the river", usually with a smallish sizing (under half pot)

too thin = when you try to make a thin value bet, but villain won't actually call your thin bet with enough worse hands. you'd be better off not making it.

4x = a hand with a 4 on it where "x" is any other card. (44, A4, 54, J4, "4x").

what he means is that, when you raise the flop, the only hands that villain will continue will be hands like 66 or better and hands with a 4 on it.
      that is, not enough worse hands to make a raise profitable in the long run.