[NL20-NL50] NL50 - 97ss defend v x/r

• Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Heyhey,

Villain is an unknown fish.

On the flop, should we defend ?? I have no idea. It feels like fishes x/minraise a lot these days and he could bluff very cheap. I do have some backdoor equity which convinced me to defend.

Turn/River std?

Poker Stars $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 2174483
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BTN: $30.21
      SB: $48.70
      Hero (BB): $85.44
      UTG: $69.28
      MP: $45.43
      CO: $125.23

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BB with 7 :spade: 9 :spade:
      4 folds, SB calls $0.25, Hero raises to $2, SB calls $1.50

Flop: ($4.00) 2 :spade: T :heart: 7 :club: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $2.25, SB raises to $5.50, Hero calls $3.25

Turn: ($15.00) 6 :club: (2 players)
      SB bets $5, Hero calls $5

River: ($25.00) 2 :diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $9, Hero folds
  • 4 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Farma,

So if villain is an unknown fish why are we defending on the flop?

Why would we call a small turn bet to just fold to a small turn river? Did we call just for our gutshot?
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze

- We've hit a pair :P
      - We have outs in case he has Tx, backdoors etc.
      - We get great odds
      - We have position
      - We don't want to get exploited (fish does this a lot I've noticed)

Why would we call a small turn bet to just fold to a small turn river? Did we call just for our gutshot?

Turn was std, I think I'm good here in a lot of cases versus random spewhands like 86 or A2 or something.

River was hard.. He increased his betsize and it looks valueish now (not blockbetish). I thought I had enough Tx to fold here and not get exploited. But I'm not sure...
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Farmarchist

- We've hit a pair :P
      - We have outs in case he has Tx, backdoors etc.
      - We get great odds
      - We have position
      - We don't want to get exploited (fish does this a lot I've noticed)

Turn was std, I think I'm good here in a lot of cases versus random spewhands like 86 or A2 or something.

River was hard.. He increased his betsize and it looks valueish now (not blockbetish). I thought I had enough Tx to fold here and not get exploited. But I'm not sure...
      Since we have 0 reads on the fish his range can be anything. I feel that since we called the turn we also have to call many rivers, especially given the odds.

However, I don't think our hand is strong enough to make it past the flop. We have a weak pair, weaker redraws, the odds are still 22% + rake, and position only matters if we expect him to give up and we can pot control or try to take it.

And how exactly can a fish "exploit" us? Since it's his first raise we can let him have it, make a note and move on. If he keeps raising we can adjust our line before he can exploit anything. How does a fish exploit you a lot since you mention that you noticed a lot of it?
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      I just don't like to bet/fold v small check/Raises lol :P

And yeah position does matter because I did think he could give up turn/river in some cases.

It's just hard to see how I can already fold a decent hand BvB v his limpingrange and random spew x/raisingrange..22% odds is superbe. Because I don't expect him to fire 3 times with bluffs and increase his sizing I gave him credit on the river and made a crying fold.