Stacking tilt - what can you do?

• Guthans
      Guthans
      Silver
      Hey guys,

I've been running really badly for a couple of weeks(and I don't care if people run this bad for years, weeks is enough for me) and today, after I hit a couple of bad beats, KK vs QQ and whatnot, especially vs fishes, I really flipped out and lost my composure. Luckily for me I managed to just snapquit all the tables and just breathe, but I cannot imagine playing again today.

I never lose my composure and start slamming things, but I've been dropping stakes and when I now get sucked out by people alot worse at poker then what I'm used to, it just hurts, really bad.

What can I do to rid myself of this "stacking tilt"?
  • 6 replies
    • ramadas
      ramadas
      Bronze
      Make a break from poker, do some other hobby. Then start playing when you feel like it. I hope you are not playing poker for a living :)
    • Guthans
      Guthans
      Silver
      Thanks.

Obviously not, how one wouldn't have learned this before going pro is beyond me, so..
    • ReStart37
      ReStart37
      Bronze
      Dude go play some football with your friends or get real drunk and talk to everyone at night,it will clear ur mind about the poker issue

Ofc i dont do that because of tilt,i do it cause i enjoy it but me and my friends are always searching some 24h futsal tournaments.Try that,or a sport you and your friends like,you will be tired,i can assure you that,but your mind will be free as a bird :facepalm:
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      hey, sounds like my old story :D

i took like a 4 month break, cashout (almost) everything :f_biggrin: and it's ok now.
      dunno what is the best approach really... but it's def what Jared Tendler calls "accumulated emotion", if you don't know already just look it up.
    • kalychko
      kalychko
      Bronze
      Go out for some running :D Have fun with friends and when u feel kind of relaxed play again.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Guthans
      What can I do to rid myself of this "stacking tilt"?
      You need more than a break, I think.

You need to develop some techniques to combat tilt as it happens.

I suggest that you go through the threads in "Learning to Win" forum to look for some.

consider buying "The Mental Game of Poker" by Jared Tendler
      It really helped me. The first part of my blog deals with this.

Taking a break to deal with tilt works only partly.
      During your break the most recent tilt seems to subside, but in reality it is just getting added to the accumulation already there, like dust building up in a house. Leaving the house doesn't make the build-up of dust go away.

You need to do something to REMOVE the build-up that is already there.

Then, as you play, you need to take active steps to prevent tilt from happening, and If/when it does, you need to takes active steps to prevent it building up especially to the point where you lose composure.

Good luck!
      --VS