FLOP ($1.50) 3:diamond: 3:spade: Q:spade:

UTG bets $1, Hero calls $1

TURN ($3.50) 3:diamond: 3:spade: Q:spade: 2:diamond:

UTG checks, Hero bets $2, UTG folds

Hero shows 6:diamond: 6:club:

Hero wins $3.33

21/13 24h

He is MP because its 5 handed.

I think he can cbet lot, but there is also lot of Qx in his range. Is it ok to defend?

Now I did a bet on turn, because we were in sweat session and I was adviceed. But actually - I am not sure if this is good.

If we assume he has worse hand, we can protect our equity. But if he has 77-JJ, he is never folding to one bet at least.

So if he calls then barrel some river high cards?

Also for floathing it would be better have more outs.
  • 6 replies
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      I advised him to call the flop cause he cbets a big part of his range here and mostly only a Qx will double barrel, 3x isn't a big part of his range. He can have some FDs too and our pair is still ok against it cause his FD won't be paired and will improve on the turn if he hits a flush or hits his pair.

So the plan is to call flop, if he checks :spade: turn take it down with a bet, we can rep FDs, if he checks random card, still bet cause we don't want him to improve on the river and fold if he barrels cause then his range will be more of Qx trying to protect rather than FDs trying to semi bluff.

On the turn I ask him to bet cause that was the plan, float flop, bet turn after his check, if we check behind on the turn he can hit the river with some better pairs and if he has a FD he's trying to play passively now then we get some value. I think its always a bet.

PS: 77-JJ will also feel the pressure when we bet turn and will fold several times.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

I dont like the idea of turning a pocketpair into a bluff on a blank. Few worse hands call and few better hands fold.

If turn was a spade and u wanted to fire twice to push him off one pair hands then that makes more sense. But on this blank i think your bet serves no purpose. Are u folding AT on this flop? If u are turning pocketpairs into bluffs anyway u might as well use a hand with more equity to improve as a bluff.

If u want to bet small (under halfpot) for thin value and protection that makes more sense than betting so large.
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      But if you don't bet turn, so many rivers can kill our hand, especially over broadways.

The bet is for thin value+protection. Protection from letting hands like AJ, AT, KJ, AK etc. hitting the river.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      Are u folding AT on this flop? If u are turning pocketpairs into bluffs anyway u might as well use a hand with more equity to improve as a bluff.

Usually yes, but with backoor FD outs maybe would not fold. As I understanduits better to bluff on turn with AT because more outs.

But calling flop with 66 is good or shoudl we fold, because if we are not bluffing then we rarely see the showdown and also if we see - he can have hit something on turn or river?
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      I already pointed this out, your options are to

1. Bet really small, maybe 1/4-1/3 pot
      2. Check the Turn

With 2 overcards, he has around 12% chance of hitting on the River. And betting small is to go for thin value and protection. If you bet half pot, you just isolate yourselves vs better hands, and you are effectively turning your hand into a bluff here so I don't like it.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Originally posted by SPeedFANat1c
      Are u folding AT on this flop? If u are turning pocketpairs into bluffs anyway u might as well use a hand with more equity to improve as a bluff.

Usually yes, but with backoor FD outs maybe would not fold. As I understanduits better to bluff on turn with AT because more outs.

But calling flop with 66 is good or shoudl we fold, because if we are not bluffing then we rarely see the showdown and also if we see - he can have hit something on turn or river?
      Vs aggro opponents I would fold low pairs on Flops with one broadway. Reason being that they will barrel any gutshot on the Turn and broadways will hit the Turn around 1/3 of the time. So not only are you behind already a lot of the time, but you are going to get barreled out of the hand pretty often as well on the turn. And overcards can still hit on the River again.

So in this case, on a Q33 board, there are 16 bad cards out of 47 on the Turn and 16 out of 46 bad cards on the River.

Chances of having a low board runout = 2/3 X 2/3 = 4/9 = ~44.5% of the time. Not very high I think. Assuming villain always bluffs at high cards...

I suggest you check your flop equity vs a typical UTG range, then multiply it by 50% to find out how often you are getting to realize your equity. Compare it with the pot odds you are being offered on the Flop.