$5.60 pot ($0.28 rake)
      Final Board: 3 9 3 4
      SB mucked and won $5.32 ($2.62 net)
      Hero mucked J J and lost (-$2.70 net)

Note:
      Monoton flop second pair rpush 3w

Hi!
      I was in a big trouble in this hand...
      We know that fishes like to donk bigger, mr or x/mr on a double flop like that.
      But here, villain got me worried, because he's a passive guy (postflop), but he has a 11% x/r frequency, which contains some bluffs too...
      Then on the turn, the situation became more unconfortable for me, because of this size, so I preferred folding my hand... It's impossible to stand up a range for this kind of player, and I don't know with what hands could he do this action, how often will be 3x in his range eg.
      However, my note on him shows us that he can be a really big donk on tough spots...
      What do you think? How should I play these situations?

Thank you!
  • 1 reply
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hi,

I think you played well in this case. His x/r frequency is not very high but in such a spot it will just not have enough value hands to warrant a fold. He is basically representing 99, 33 and A3s in my opinion.

If that is his only value range we can call once and reevaluate since a few things favourable to us can happen:

1) he checks and we are quite certain to have the best hand with our overpair
      2) he bets small with the same range and we can sometimes call expecting to win often enough
      3) we hit a Jack and he actually has one of the strong hands in his range and we stack him.

Some are more likely than other but put together make enough for us to call flop imo. On the turn, a potential flop bluff imrpoved to beat us, the flushdraw, and he is betting big. I would say that makes our hand a fold.

The approach from you in this spot should be to make calls when you have good odds and a reasonable potential for the best hand, exactly like here. You have to play the spot specifically against everyone. Some might have more value hands here than this guy. What someone very poker savvy very correctly told me was that when people are loose preflop they show up with weaker ranges on average postflop so an average postflop aggression (in this case x/r) from a looser than average preflop player means actually a more bluff heavy range than a completely average player.