Wierd SSS downswing

• Munchy
      Munchy
      Bronze
      I got my 50$ from pokerstrategy a week ago or so and have been playing SSS, just to try it out. Its been working well.. .Im just about every time favourite to win the pot and before this weekend I had about 120$.

However, during this weekend I have lost about 15 Buyins and its truly starting to annoy me. I have lost (mind you, all in preflops) with AA vs T8, AQ vs AJ, AQ vs QJ, AA vs 33. Nomather what cards Im holding I seem to get drawn out every single time.

Even on flops where I rased from button with KQ, 1 caller... I hit KQ on the flop and move all in getting instant call from TT... turn = T. AA on rainbow flops somehow always ends up in a straight on turn or river... they nail all their flushdraws or river higher two pairs. plain sick

I know that Im playing exactly according to SSS preflop and same with postflop play so it has just been a plain annoying weekend. Only hand I actually won was with my QQ vs AA where I turned a Q.

Its hard to swallow losing continuosly regardless of your hand. Only good thing is that I know that Im atleast playing it right. ..

man, it sure feels good to vent a bit....
  • 5 replies
    • eekjan
      eekjan
      Bronze
      maybe you were one of those i sucked-out.

He had AQ vs my KK, flop is A Q 3, turn 5, and river a K

Big smile :)
    • Ruleza
      Ruleza
      Bronze
      You can be happy that this happens AFTER you made any profit. When I first started SSS, I had a downswing from the moment I started. At least now you have seen SSS works, so dont worry, just keep playing +EV.
    • Termi8r
      Termi8r
      Bronze
      Hi Munchy,

I also play SSS and made good progress at the start. I build my bankroll up nicely but then I hit major downwings with it. The truth is that after losing about 5 buy-ins I don't play my A-game anymore...and that was causing me to lose more. Like I wouldn't fold AK after continuation bet failed and I get reraised, those extra few dollars add up very quickly. You mentioned all ins with AQ preflop, normally I would fold AQ or AJ when reraised preflop. So now I make the rule that if I lose more that 3 buy-ins I break for a while and do something else. Then I come back with the right mood and start afresh.

Friday I lost like 10 buy-ins over 1600 hands, then in the space of 200 hands made up 8 buy-ins. So swings and variance is part of it. What you have to avoid is tilting because it will really hurt your bankroll.

Good luck
    • Munchy
      Munchy
      Bronze
      Thats the thing... I was mad and extremly frustrated but I promised myself to keep my composure and stick to the SSS and play the A-game. I kept playing according to the strategy to 100%.

I mean.. just the fact that I was favourite just about every time shows that this system does work vs big stacks but I feel that I went up against of alot calling stations. My AK, JJ, QQs were called down with hands like J8o, T9o/s, QJs etc... and then variance just kept kicking me in the stones.

I always give up an unimproved hand after the continuation bet and dont fire second barrels. I try not to get involved with AJo often either in pots with lots of lose/passive opponents due to alot of bad expiriences with that hand.

I mean... I just laughed when my preflop allin got called with A3 vs my AA other night. Flop hit A24..... I just started laughing cuz I know that I was inevitably going to lose that hand. I know the odds but knowing my bad luck lately I just prepared myself mentally for the 5 that did hit the river.

Im at 82$ now and gonna try few hands before heading for work. I'll post some hands if it keeps happening :-p
    • kukac26
      kukac26
      Bronze
      I mean... I just laughed when my preflop allin got called with A3 vs my AA other night. Flop hit A24..... I just started laughing cuz I know that I was inevitably going to lose that hand. I know the odds but knowing my bad luck lately I just prepared myself mentally for the 5 that did hit the river.

Don't do that... once you start rooting for the lose you need a break.

You can experience downswings as long as half a year <.< (a weekend is a breeze, but feel free to vent.. it does help)
      Keep doing the right thing.. +EV moves over bigger chunks of time can not fail.. just laugh at the folks trying to crack your aces with A3...

sometimes the bar gets you.. other seven times you'll get the bar.. I like those odds :)