This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] KJo 2nd pair on the turn. River?

• AchillesBG
      AchillesBG
      Silver
      Prima, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $50 (100 bb)
      MP: $55.76 (111.5 bb)
      Hero (CO): $68.62 (137.2 bb)
      BTN: $25.76 (51.5 bb)
      SB: $50 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K:club: J:diamond:
      MP folds, Hero raises to $1.50, 2 folds, BB calls $1

Flop: ($3.25) 5:diamond: Q:club: 9:spade: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1.88, BB calls $1.88

Turn: ($7.01) J:spade: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

River: ($7.01) 5:spade: (2 players)
      BB bets $5.75, Hero calls $5.75

Anon. table. Unknown.

I think checking the turn and calling a river bet should be fine in these positions, despite the big river bet?
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Achilles,

It does look like we are giving up often and villain is betting large and does polarizing his range.

So I don't mind our line at all. I think it would be hard to get much value from a second barrel on the turn vs unknown.
    • VasiliZaitsev
      VasiliZaitsev
      Bronze
      by polarizing you mean he wouldn't have a Q here ?
      can't see the hands that would bluff on river ... if i was sure he's a fish it's more likely he would bluff, but do you think a reg would have all 87o,AT ... ?
      i can't see many hands without showdown value here that he would turn into bluffs and i also think he could bet a Q with this sizing.

thanks
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by VasiliZaitsev
      by polarizing you mean he wouldn't have a Q here ?
      can't see the hands that would bluff on river ... if i was sure he's a fish it's more likely he would bluff, but do you think a reg would have all 87o,AT ... ?
      i can't see many hands without showdown value here that he would turn into bluffs and i also think he could bet a Q with this sizing.

thanks
      Weak Qx like QT type hands and maybe even QK.

I agree that he may not have a ton of hands that can bluff but given our small bet on the flop villain can float with gutshot+backdoor type hands that can turn into a bluff (as well as hit straights on the turn).

He may be turning pairs into a bluff (66-88).

If we look at his value range it's mostly KTs, T8s, QJ, 5x and maybe JJ.