JFWolf18

• 5 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, JFWolf18

Welcome to the PokerStrategy.com forums!

epic first post -- short and to the point!

You'll love the beginners course.

It made a world of difference to my game when I took it.

Best of luck!
      --VS
    • JFWolf18
      JFWolf18
      Bronze
      Thanks VorpalF2F!

I didn't know what else to write haha. I'm very excited to start the beginners course. Im by no means a beginner to poker but I'm looking to take my poker game to the next level and looking to start fresh and fill all the leaks to my game. I have never sat down and actually studied poker, just played so like I said, I'm very excited to start being a student of poker. Once again thank you for the welcome!
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by JFWolf18
      Thanks VorpalF2F!

I didn't know what else to write haha. I'm very excited to start the beginners course. Im by no means a beginner to poker but I'm looking to take my poker game to the next level and looking to start fresh and fill all the leaks to my game. I have never sat down and actually studied poker, just played so like I said, I'm very excited to start being a student of poker. Once again thank you for the welcome!

Hello JFWolf18,

Welcome to the course.

For more information on each lesson please visit this link: Welcome to the No Limit Beginners Course Forums

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Bogdan
    • JFWolf18
      JFWolf18
      Bronze
      Homework 1

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)

My motivation to play poker, hmmm. To be honest, my biggest motvation to play poker is the money that can be made and second would be to increase my mental sharpness and control. When it comes to the money aspect, I am not looking to make this a profession. My goal is to use poker as a secondary stream of income, first being my current job, to get out of debt and to save money to eventually start my own business. Poker is obviously a very mental game so I want to use it to practice control over my thoughts and emotions. I ultimately seek complete control over my mind.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are making during your games? Are you playing while you're tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write down as many as you think are affecting you.)

My first weakness would definitely be staying focused on just the game at hand and the players I'm playing with. I definitely need to work on remembering what lines players took in previous hands and even previous games. My second weakness is similar to the first in that I don't know how to utilize the information I have from Holdem Manager. Third would be folding good hands to better hands especially when it could be a bluff. I hate not knowing what they had.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is and why does it work.)

Playing tight aggressive means the player only plays a small range of hands with those hands being the best starting hands statistically. When the player does choose to play a hand, they will tend to have initative or raise a bettor thus forcing the tough decisions onto the other players and causing them to make mistakes. It works since there is a ranking system for the cards, certain cards and certain card combinations have more value in the long run. As I mentioned before, playing aggressively cause other players to make mistakes by being pressured.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi JFWolf,

Congrats. Your first homework is complete.

Q1: Very well said. I wish you the best of luck on your journey and with hard work anything and everything can be achieved.

Q2: When it comes to Holdem Manager I would recommend starting up with very few stats. Just the basics of VPIP/PFR/3bet/AF should be enough. As you get more familiar with the stats and what they mean you can add more.

When it comes to staying focused make sure you don't have distractions around you when you play such as TV, Skype, Browsing the internet, etc.

Best of luck at the tables,

Bogdan