MP3: $2.00 - 100 bb
      CO: $2.75 - 138 bb
      BU: $1.35 - 68 bb
      SB: $2.54 - 127 bb
      BB: $2.23 - 112 bb

0.01/0.02 No Limit Hold'em (7 Handed)
      Hand recorder for this hand: PokerStrategy.com SideKick 1.1.411.7

Preflop: Hero is BB with K:spade: , K:club:
      SB posts small blind ($0.01), Hero posts big blind ($0.02), 2 folds, MP3 raises for $0.08, CO folds, BU calls, SB folds, Hero 3-bets $0.30, MP3 folds, BU calls

Flop: ($0.73 - 36.50 bb) A:spade: , J:club: , 3:spade: (2 Players)
      Hero bets $0.30, BU raises for $1.03, Hero folds, BU gets uncalled back ($0.73)

-----

I need only 30.29% equity here to break-even.

Against a loose range (with some bluffs in) I have 38.71% equity:
      Board: AsJc3s
      Equity Win Tie
      MP2 38.71% 37.30% 1.41% { KsKc }
      MP3 61.29% 59.88% 1.41% { TT+, AQs+, AQo+ }

Against a tighter range I'm screwed
      Board: AsJc3s
      Equity Win Tie
      MP2 11.52% 11.33% 0.19% { KsKc }
      MP3 88.48% 88.30% 0.19% { AA, JJ, AQs+, AQo+ }

Do I ever call here?
  • 5 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

I would have c/c the Flop. Vs weaker opposition, the best way to play this hand on this board is to c/c twice and fold the river if you are mostly readless but know that your opponents are probably not too good at hand reading.

What usually happens is that they try pushing you off your hand on the flop AND/OR turn and they lack the balls to fire on the River for a 3rd time. So a c/c twice and fold river line makes the most sense vs the average villain at NL2 IMO.

As played, Do you call the raise here? I cannot answer this question without more reads. If he raises AJ/AQ here we are crushed and this is a fold. If his raising range is more polarized to draws and monsters then you could find an argument for calling.

I'm not sure why you are assigning him TT+/AQ+, he's never raising QQ and TT in my opinion. He either calls or folds with those hands.

Thanks.
    • Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      TT-QQ-KK are like a bluffing range. I guess I should have added draws instead of those hands.

Also, my bet was due to this hand NL2 QQ vs 3bet OoP
      where I had QQ and I was advised for a lower bet against draws and worse pairs. So I followed this line.

It is a little bit confusing, but I guess it's close between c/call flop and turn vs bet small on the flop. Do you still prefer c/call flop & turn?
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      i prefer c/c for 2 main reasons because bad players misplay vs flop checks the most
      they either bluff too much with only 2 barrels and do not follow through with their bluffs OR
      they call down too light on later streets (won't be surprised to see them call Turn + River with JX after you check flop)

I think betting is also fine, but you should know whether to call the raise or fold vs the raise. Often if you cannot answer this question, check/call might be the better option.

Also, I think betting is the better option at higher limits especially for players with high cbet frequencies and don't balance their check/calling ranges. Because check/calling only with medium strength hands creates an imbalance in their range. Now, you are playing NL2 so maybe I shouldn't confuse you with all those advanced concepts. but I think c/c is just the better option in general. When we think about this simply

No better hands fold
      We can only go for 1-2 streets of value at the very most. Assuming we want to bet twice or bet once and call once, we can either bet F bet T, bet T bet R, or bet F bet R. If I had to compare all 3 options, i think check F and get in the 2 bets on later streets seem to be a much better alternative.
    • Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      Ok, thanks for the explanation.

To make sure I understood you correctly:

#1 Check/call the flop and turn and check/fold river because players often don't follow through with their bluffs; OR
      *If opponent checks the flop back* I bet 1/2 pot on the turn or river for small value because players in NL2 call more lightly after the check on the flop.

#2 Regarding the bet/folding or bet/calling option, I'll have to revisit that in NL50-100 to balance out my cbetting range.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      yeah something like that, glad you got the rough idea.

At NL2, we don't need to balance our check/calling range. Just bet strong hands, check/call medium strength hands, and check/fold weak hands, maybe bluff with some of those weak hands.

But if you do that at NL1000 for example, you are going to get absolutely destroyed. Let's say you only check/call KK and QQ here. People will just take A2s and value bet for 3 streets with those hands and hard counter your strategy. So you will need to check some monsters like AK/AA some % of the time to protect the weaker parts of your range and make yourself tougher to play against.

But realistically that's never going to happen at NL2. so don't bother with such stuff.

For me, I have checking as a good part of my game plan and I'll check medium strength hands and some monsters. For someone like cutegoldfish, he prefers to bet more often on the Flop OOP and merge his betting range with some 2nd pairs, top pairs, monsters, draws.