MP3: $0.80 - 40 bb
      CO: $2.12 - 106 bb
      BU: $0.46 - 23 bb
      SB: $2.14 - 107 bb
      BB: $2.00 - 100 bb

0.01/0.02 No Limit Hold'em (9 Handed)
      Hand recorder for this hand: PokerStrategy.com SideKick 1.1.411.7

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:club: , 2:spade:
      SB posts small blind ($0.01), Hero posts big blind ($0.02), 2 folds, MP1 calls, 4 folds, SB raises for $0.09, Hero 3-bets $0.28, MP1 calls, SB folds

Flop: ($0.70 - 35 bb) K:diamond: , 6:club: , 4:club: (2 Players)
      Hero bets $0.40, MP1 calls

Turn: ($1.50 - 75 bb) A:spade: (2 Players)
      Hero checks, MP1 bets $0.72, Hero calls

River: ($2.94 - 147 bb) 8:spade: (2 Players)
      Hero checks, MP1 bets $0.28, Hero calls

-----

MP1 limp-called a 3bet so his range is probably TT+, AQ+.

On the turn I have 50.76% of equity against the above range. It is a bit dodgy, but I expect people to bluff often when I cehck the turn.
      Board: Kd6c4cAs
      Equity Win Tie
      MP2 50.76% 49.24% 1.52% { Ac2s }
      MP3 49.24% 47.73% 1.52% { TT+, AQs+, AQo+ }

On the river I need only 8.28% so I think it's an easy call.

Is my reasoning correct?
  • 4 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Dawidas,

Preflop: Generally speaking people don't isolate from the SB that loose so I don't mind just folding preflop given our hand.

Postflop: As played I think that we should bet the turn. Why did you opt for check/calling?

Also why do you expect villain to have TT/JJ/QQ and bet it on the turn? He limped and then called so he can also have hands like Kx, Ax (with clubs), etc.
    • Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      Hiya

Preflop: My goal was not isolating but rather bluffing (cbetting on good flops and giving up in other cases) as the SB was rather tight so I expected him to fold. This is due to my tight 3bet value range AQ+, JJ+ vs SB. I chose A5-A2 hands as they are easier to fold than say AT or AJ turned into bluff. I can also get paid on good low flops.

MP1 limped so I didn't expect him to call without AQ+, TT+.

Postflop: I expect people to be loose passive in NL2. I opted for a check to keep the pot small if he has AQ, TT-QQ which he couldn't fold and also give him a chance to bluff at the pot (I don't know if it's correct, but my opinion is that people bluff more often than they bet for value in lower limits). If his bet was 2/3+ I would have folded as it is unlikely I'm ahead. My plan was to check/fold river.

That is my reasoning. I agree that betting the turn is better as he would be calling with a wider range than bluffing (as the opponents are generally loose passive). Then my plan is to check/fold river?

Thanks for all the help!
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Dawidas888
      Hiya

Preflop: My goal was not isolating but rather bluffing (cbetting on good flops and giving up in other cases) as the SB was rather tight so I expected him to fold. This is due to my tight 3bet value range AQ+, JJ+ vs SB. I chose A5-A2 hands as they are easier to fold than say AT or AJ turned into bluff. I can also get paid on good low flops.

MP1 limped so I didn't expect him to call without AQ+, TT+.

Postflop: I expect people to be loose passive in NL2. I opted for a check to keep the pot small if he has AQ, TT-QQ which he couldn't fold and also give him a chance to bluff at the pot (I don't know if it's correct, but my opinion is that people bluff more often than they bet for value in lower limits). If his bet was 2/3+ I would have folded as it is unlikely I'm ahead. My plan was to check/fold river.

That is my reasoning. I agree that betting the turn is better as he would be calling with a wider range than bluffing (as the opponents are generally loose passive). Then my plan is to check/fold river?

Thanks for all the help!
      I think your plan is fine but your assumptions may be a bit off.

First, villain limped, so he may not even have hands like QQ-AA or AK/AQ in his range. Then he called a 3-bet and while his range should be stronger a lot of fishy guys call random hands because they want to see a flop. Generally they'll have pairs and broadways but other Ax hands or random suited will be there as well.

Now, I also expect a lot of weaker pairs to check back the turn rather than turn themselves into bluffs. Most fish are happy to check down those weaker pairs like TT.
    • Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      So my plan will be to bet/fold the turn and check/fold the river as I will get more value from loose callers than trying to catch bluffs, yes?