CO: $7.52

SB posts SB $0.02, Hero posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero has 8:spade: 8:heart:

fold, fold, fold, fold, SB raises to $0.15, Hero calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.30, 2 players) Q:spade: 8:club: 5:spade:
      SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.30, 2 players) T:diamond:
      SB bets $0.20, Hero raises to $0.75

What is your standard decision preflop vs unknown? I've decided as he will have troubles calling OOP with much stuff & we can't stand 4bet calling is preferable.
  • 5 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi GreenPiece,

Preflop: looks fine since we have position

Postflop: Why are we checking back the flop? We should bet for value on the flop even if we bet small, like 1/2.
    • GreenPiece
      GreenPiece
      Bronze
      My thoughts were:
      1) he may be scared of Q as from his point of view I can defend with variety of hands with Q so he will fold his trash but can catch smth on the turn and bet;
      2) versus big hands will I still make action on later streets in position.
      The only problem is somewhat drawy board but I think he would bet himself with his draws because of combination of pot equity + fold equity.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by GreenPiece
      My thoughts were:
      1) he may be scared of Q as from his point of view I can defend with variety of hands with Q so he will fold his trash but can catch smth on the turn and bet;
      2) versus big hands will I still make action on later streets in position.
      The only problem is somewhat drawy board but I think he would bet himself with his draws because of combination of pot equity + fold equity.
      The problem is that we give free cards to hands like gutshots and random hands that could call a small bet if we make it.

We also want 3 streets of value from weak Qx or 2nd pairs that decide to pot control.
    • GreenPiece
      GreenPiece
      Bronze
      So could be more viable decision say on K82r? I mean check behind flop. Or is our hand so strong that we want 3+ streets of value by any means?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by GreenPiece
      So could be more viable decision say on K82r? I mean check behind flop. Or is our hand so strong that we want 3+ streets of value by any means?
      On a completely rainbow board like your example we can check back more often.

The idea is that we have a value hand and we want to get value now, when we can start building the pot up. We lose one street and the pot stays small. Most of the time if he doesn't have anything to pay a flop bet he won't have much to pay a turn bet.

And with a small er bet we can induce a lot.