For real this time! - Tino's CG blog [Back to NL25 zoom]

• TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Hola!

Old intro is in the spoiler. The intro of this blog was quite outdated. My focus is no longer on MTTs, but rather on Zoom cash games. If you would still like to read the old intro, just check the spoiler! :)

As a short warning, it's quite a wall of text, but most of it still applies :f_biggrin:

To keep a long story short, in this blog I track my progress through the cash game stakes. I started playing NL10 SH Zoom in the beginning of August, after having played a lot of MTTs before that with decent success (>$10k total profit playing only low stakes MTTs!), and occasionally playing some cash games at NL5.

I recently moved up though, and am currently playing NL25 SH Zoom.

I will occasionally mention things other than poker. For example, I play a lot of volleyball every week, so if anything interesting happens in that area I might leave a short message about it.

Also, I still love playing MTTs. So if I ever get the chance to or feel like playing MTTs one day for a change, I'll be sure to update here as well.

In case you want to start reading from the point where I really started to focus seriously on cash games, I'll save you the trouble of reading through tons of posts. Here's where I start the cash game run (link to post): For real this time! - Tino's MTT + CG blog [Shotting NL25 Zoom]

Thanks for reading my blog! :f_thumbsup:

Alright, time for a blog! I have had a blog before, which was mostly on cash games and I pretty much neglected it after a quit poker for a while, but this one focus on the format I love the most: MTTs!

If you read my previous blog... Here's another wall of text :coolface:

About Me

So a quick little introduction. I'm a 19 year old guy from the Netherlands, turning 20 next August. I'm currently both jobless and studyless (is that even a word?), so I have a lot of free time on my hands, which I can now invest in poker!

I plan on studying Sports, Management & Organization next year, because I have a passion for sports. Unfortunately though, a huge amount of people has registered for this study, meaning it's very possible that I won't be able to enter purely randomly. Yes, they will likely just have to tell random people that they can't enter, because there wasn't any sort of selection procedure otherwise. Let's just hope it's not me!

I had a simple job in a supermarket, giving me a well above average income for people my age. However, I lost that job a little over a month ago, because they could not afford to extend my contract any longer. And as you are probably well aware, jobs aren't exactly easy to come by these days, especially for me. For the simple jobs companies would rather hire younger people because they're cheaper, and better jobs require me to have more experience... which I don't have because I'm 19 :facepalm:

However, (hopefully) PokerStrategy comes to the rescue! I'm going to send an application to become a freelance community supporter here pretty soon. I'm still waiting for Ingrid to answer an email I sent with a couple of questions though, so I'll wait patiently. Hopefully I can get this job though, because I really want a job. Though just relaxing, playing poker etc. is fun for a short while, I just want to work!

Aside of that, like I said, I have a big passion for sports. Personally I'm a volleyball player, and play at a decent level. I also train a youth team full of 12 year olds, which is really fun to do. :) Next year I'll probably train a somewhat older team (age 16-17), which is going to be a bit more of a challenge, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Oh, and if you read my previous blog and wonder if I'm still injured... I'm not! Thankfully :)

So much for a "quick little" introduction :facepalm: I never seem to be able to keep things short.

Poker

The moment I turned 18 I starter to play poker, really. Wasn't any good at it, but managed to learn a bit with PokerStrategy pretty quickly. Used poor BRM, and managed to ship a $4 tournament for ~$2200. Not bad. Got some more pretty decent result, including a final table finish in a MicroMillions event for ~$4000, and also final tabled a $16 tournament ($1 satellite) for ~$3600. Those are all my big cashes, really, and I have lifetime winnings of a little over ~$10k, but that's mostly because of those results. I generally immediately cashed out those winnings.

I took it relatively seriously from the start, but never serious enough to really use good BRM. I pretty much just went after the big tournaments with big guarantees and tried to get a good result in them. Which worked out pretty well :f_biggrin: Of course I wasn't playing $50 tournaments, but I didn't really mind playing some $11 tournaments with a $400 bankroll for example.

Then I took a little break, and decided to give cash games a shot, and created a blog about it. However, cash games didn't really appeal to me before I attempted it, and they still don't. Needless to say, I never really got anywhere with it. Then I had to quit poker for a while because I was very busy with work and whatnot. So I started getting back into it again a few weeks ago.

So now what?

Like I said, I have been playing for a while now, and since I don't really have a job I'm taking it a lot more seriously than I was a few months ago. Poker is definitely not a steady source of income (and luckily I had those tournament cashes from earlier so I have a decent amount of money despite not having a job), so I still want a job, but I also don't want to reload or whatever.

So I'm going to play purely MTTs. This includes the MT SNGs on stars, but only 45+ man tournaments. I don't really like the 18 mans. Not sure why, I just don't really like them. Because I also have other things to do in life, I am mostly playing turbos, with a few standard speed tournaments mixed in. I played a few 6max hypers during one session so that I wouldn't only be playing 1 table at the end, but though I did well in them, I don't really like the format that much, despite what all the cool kids say :f_cool:

So what I'm doing right now is following a strict BRM. Basically, I will apply a 200 max BI rule. That means that with $400 I'll be playing $2 games at most, but will also be playing games at lower stakes, meaning my ABI will be lower. Since I'm mixing MT SNGs with scheduled MTTs, I simply use this rule for both.

I started with $400 after cashing out a little bit more that I still had on my PokerStars account. That meant that I was playing a maximum of $2 tournaments, but was also playing a lot of $1 and $1.50 tournaments (a lot of $1 90 mans and $1.50 45 mans).

I managed to build this pretty quickly with a couple of nice cashes, so now I'm sitting at $600. Right now I'm playing up to $3 tournaments, as well as $1.50 45 mans and $2.50 180 mans. I'll move back down to max $2 tournaments at $400 and max $1.50 MT SNGs at $300.

I'm not really going to be setting any volume/profit goals for me. Despite having no job, I still have plenty of other things to do, so I think setting volume goals won't do it for me. I try to play as much as possible, and see how much volume I'll get in the end. Maybe I'll set some goals for next month or the month after that, but we'll see.

I started this on the 7th of April, and have played about 220 tournaments since that day. I'm playing 4 to 6 tables, 6 definitely being the maximum for me. I start making costly mistakes when I play any more than 6, so I'll stick to either 4 or 6 most of the time. So yeah, could be a lot more volume, but I think it's fine like this.

I don't really want to be a mindless grinder, I also want to play this game for the fun of it! And simply grinding and grinding for hours a day simple doesn't do it for me. Tried it once, didn't like it ;)

So for those of you who want to see a graph:

So I was off to a very good start. I've played very solidly overall, in my view. Unfortunately at the end it goes down a bit. This is mostly due to losing a shitload of 60/40s and 70/30s (which were in my favor) during my last session.

But what can you do, right? It's part of the game, I'm not going to complain. I know I got the money in good, so it'll come to me eventually :f_cool:

So yeah, I'll try to update this blog regularly. I'll end this huge post with a couple statistics.

Current BR: $604.60
      Biggest winning session: +$113.46
      Biggest losing session: -$38.34 (which was this morning :( )

Thanks for reading, and I'll keep you guys updated, both on poker and other things going on in my life :D

~Tino
  • 1062 replies
    • fengege
      fengege
      Bronze
      +1
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Played another session tonight... And it went even more horrible than the first one today! And it's not even that I'm playing poorly. Sure, I don't play perfectly, but most of my losses here comes purely from variance. Which really, really sucks. Basically, almost every time the money went in pre flop and I had a big pocket pair and my opponent had Ax (with the x being lower than my pair), they hit the A. A lot of the time I had my opponent dominated, they hit their pair. Often when I was short and shoved with a weak hand from BU/CO, one of the blinds had me dominated or whatever.

Still, I can live with it. If there's one thing that's pretty strong on my behalf, it's probably my mental game. I don't tilt so easily. Of course it's disappointing when I lose yet another 70/30 where I'm the favorite, but I just move on. Nothing you can do. I'm just looking forward to the days where I'm winning every hand as a 70/30 dog :f_biggrin:

Needless to say, I'm running pretty badly below EV. But again, I can live with it.

Today I played a little over 70 tournaments with a grand total of 8 minimal cashes. I suppose an ITM of 10+% isn't even terrible... But over $100 went down the drain today. That's over 30 max BIs for me, so that's quite a lot. Let's just hope tomorrow's going to be a better day!

Now, after all the complaining about bad luck, I also definitely do my research into my own game. And one of the problems I'm seeing is that I tend to call a little too light on the river, mostly with hands like weak top pairs and middle pairs. So that's something I'm going to be working on. Sometimes it's justified to call, sometimes it's not. So now it's up to me to find out when it is and when it isn't.

Current BR: $537.81
      Profit: -$66.79
    • Wohmfg
      Wohmfg
      Silver
      Nice blog!

As you know your luck will come around, and when you are running sick and invincible in one tourney it makes all the run bad feel better!
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Thanks!

So true. But the downswing unfortunately still continues. Still wasn't able to win my all-ins in this morning's session. Always sucks to have to start like this...

Just to put it into perspective a bit, the last 20 times I got it in with KK preflop against 1 opponent, I had ~73% equity on average and won exactly 50% of the time. Of course a very small sample, but since the same holds true for most hands I get it in good with... It just sucks :f_biggrin:

But like you said, things will turn around eventually! I feel a big tournament ship coming very soon :f_cool:
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      My luck seems to be a little better, but I'm still losing tons of flips and whatnot. Still, managed to get a couple of small cashes today, a few of which at the end of my evening session, so at least it feels a bit better. But when I then look at my April graph...

Yeah, that doesn't make one feel great. Down another $60+ for the day :(

I'll be pretty busy the coming few days with other things in life, so I probably won't be able to play too much until sunday. Let's hope that, when I hit the tables again, things will turn around and that green line will start rising again!

Still feeling the big ship coming. Maybe I'll try satelliting into a sunday storm or something and ship that :f_cool:

On a side note, I feel like PT is missing some tournaments, or is calculating my profit incorrectly? I should be at a profit of about $70 over this month, but it says I only have about $40. Does anyone have any idea why this is?

Current BR: $470.38
      Profit: -$67.43
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Missed this until now :(

MTTs are a funny game and it only takes one good run to turn it all around :)

Good luck Tino!
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Thanks! Apparently I'll need it :f_biggrin:
    • Backcushion
      Backcushion
      Bronze
      Wait until you go through 1k game BE stretch, then every 100-200 game DS will be easy :D

May you win many flips, GL.
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Thanks!

Yeah, I suppose you're right. :D
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      So yet another losing session today, but at least I wasn't getting sucked out on as much as a few days ago! :p

Down about $13 for the day, but I still feel pretty good about it. I'm still running way below EV, so I don't worry too much.

I got a couple small cashes in some tournaments, including two 6max tournaments. One of these was a standard speed tournament, the other was a turbo. I have played a few 6max tournaments now, and I have to say I really like the format of 6max MTTs. It's really a shame there's not a whole lot of 6max MT SNGs, aside of a few 12 and 18 man ones.

I also managed to get a few cashes in the 180 mans. In fact, I managed to turn a 1bb stack (QQ < 53 :facepalm: ) into a 6th place finish, so that felt pretty good. Unfortunately busted in 6th JJ < KJ. Still, I can't complain, because I was lucky enough to even get itm at all :)

As far as my play is concerned, I'm really happy. Especially in the regular speed tournaments, I think I played very well. I was aggressive both pre and post flop, allowing me to pick up tons of small pots, so I ended up having a very nice stack eventually. Unfortunately QQ < AK got me down to ~6bb and I busted in 60th or something. I certainly think my post flop play has improved massively from a few months ago, and even when I started again 2 weeks ago. I used to overplay pairs pretty often, and often also called down way too light. But I'm definitely improving in that area.

Another thing I have improved on from a few months ago, is the fact that I'm playing just a touch looser and more aggressively pre flop. I used to be pretty tight, probably way too tight, but I'm definitely doing better there. I have found that playing pretty aggressively pre flop puts you in so many good spots post flop because you're playing against so many terrible people. I used to think "well, I'll just wait for good spots with good cards against these fools", but now I'm more or less creating good spots for myself. I guess my improved post flop skills also allow me to play a bit looser pre flop. But not only is my overall game improving imo, playing more aggressively is also a lot more fun than playing rather nitty :D

Despite the unfortunate bust out (I think I was among the chip leaders when I lost that flip, not 100% sure) I played the tournament well, which definitely gives me a lot of confidence that I'll be able to do well. I played a solid push/fold game in the turbo tournaments I played. One thing I noticed though, is that in the 45/180 man turbos, you often just have to blind off for a while because of the fast structure. That sometimes makes it pretty tough to remain patient and wait for rough spots, but I try :p

Something I think I should work on now though is my bet sizing. I used to bet way too large most of the time, and am definitely not betting as big anymore. However, I feel like I'm sometimes not extracting enough value by betting just a touch too small. Sometimes I bet about 1/3 pot on the river with a marginal hand to get value, when I think something like a 2/5 pot bet would achieve the same thing.

So, BR is now sitting at $457.59. So still going down unfortunately, but at least I'm not losing every single all in anymore.

So, tomorrow is Sunday, and I think I'm going to desposit just a little bit extra so that I can play some of the big Sunday tournaments. Maybe I'll desposit something like $33 so that I can play the Storm, Bigger $11 and Hotter $11 or something. The Sunday evening for me is an evening to have a little fun as well, rather than a bankroll building time. So while I'll probably play a standard session tomorrow morning, I'm going after the big cash tomorrow evening :f_biggrin:

That should wrap it up for now. I'm still really enjoying my time. I guess as a little goal for myself, I could try to reach Silver Star status by the end of the month, which is only 90 more VPPs. But honestly, that shouldn't be much of a problem, even with the relatively little volume I'm putting in. I'm not really concerned about my VIP status atm though (I don't display it anyway), but might just be something fun to shoot for. :)

I really need to try and be more concise :facepalm:
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Please tell me you shipped a major and haven't had time to update because of some massive partying???
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Unfortunately no. In fact I busted out within 3 hours in both the Storm and Bigger 11 and was too embarassed to post about it :f_biggrin:

In all reality though, there really wasn't much to talk about, since aside of those tournaments I didn't play much yesterday.

I'll post another update later tonight after wrapping up the current session :)
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Alright, played an absolutely great session tonight!

I managed to get a couple pretty deep runs. I managed to get a 50th place out of 2000 people in a $3.30 tournament, for about 4BI. I also managed to get a 40th or so out of 9000 people in the Hot $0.55 (~12BI). I feel like I could have gotten further in both, but oh well. Can't complain about those results at all :)

The 180 mans also went extremely well today. Managed to get two final table finishes, good for one second place and one sixth place. Both knockouts were pretty extreme coolers though.

Aside of those, I managed to get a couple other small cashes.

As far as my luck is concerned... Let's just say I got some justice today :f_biggrin: I definitely managed to get some pretty ridiculous suckouts, which feels absolutely great. I made a little compilation of the most fun hands I played this session.

Hand 1
      PokerStars - $0.50+$0.05|3000/6000 NL - Holdem - 8 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

MP: 155,926.00
      MP+1: 65,145.00
      CO: 69,480.00
      BTN: 23,910.00
      SB: 120,585.00
      Hero (BB): 69,405.00
      UTG: 47,748.00
      UTG+1: 30,825.00

MP posts ante 750.00, MP+1 posts ante 750.00, CO posts ante 750.00, BTN posts ante 750.00, SB posts ante 750.00, Hero posts ante 750.00, UTG posts ante 750.00, UTG+1 posts ante 750.00, SB posts SB 3,000.00, Hero posts BB 6,000.00

Pre Flop: (pot: 15000.00) Hero has 9:diamond: 9:club:

fold, fold, fold, MP+1 calls 6,000.00, CO calls 6,000.00, BTN calls 6,000.00, SB calls 3,000.00, Hero raises to 68,655.00 and is all-in, MP+1 calls 58,395.00 and is all-in, fold, BTN calls 17,160.00 and is all-in, fold

Flop: (169950.00, 3 players) 8:spade: Q:diamond: 9:heart:

Turn: (169950.00, 3 players) 6:spade:

River: (169950.00, 3 players) 5:diamond:

Hero shows 9:diamond: 9:club: (Three of a Kind, Nines) (Pre 10%, Flop 88%, Turn 95%)
      MP+1 shows A:club: A:heart: (One Pair, Aces) (Pre 83%, Flop 10%, Turn 5%)
      BTN shows K:club: 9:spade: (One Pair, Nines) (Pre 7%, Flop 2%, Turn 0%)
      Hero wins 169,950.00

Completely standard hand, but hitting that magic one outer obviously worked out pretty well for me :)

Hand 2
      PokerStars - $2.28+$0.22|2500/5000 NL - Holdem - 2 players

Hero (BB): 84,693.00
      SB: 185,307.00

Hero posts ante 500.00, SB posts ante 500.00, SB posts SB 2,500.00, Hero posts BB 5,000.00

Pre Flop: (pot: 8500.00) Hero has Q:club: J:heart:

SB raises to 10,000.00, Hero calls 5,000.00

Flop: (21000.00, 2 players) K:diamond: 3:club: 5:diamond:
      Hero checks, SB bets 25,000.00, Hero raises to 74,193.00 and is all-in, SB calls 49,193.00

Turn: (169386.00, 2 players) 3:diamond:

River: (169386.00, 2 players) Q:diamond:

Hero shows Q:club: J:heart: (Two Pair, Queens and Threes) (Pre 50%, Flop 48%, Turn 40%)
      SB shows J:diamond: Q:heart: (Flush, King High) (Pre 50%, Flop 52%, Turn 60%)
      SB wins 169,386.00

Villain is a solid reg here.

This actually was the 180 man tournament where I got second place. I also thought this was a pretty interesting spot. Pre flop here is pretty standard. I could 3bet for sure, but QJ plays pretty well, so I decided to just flat.

On the flop, when he overbet the pot, he really wasn't repping anything. He's definitely not doing this with his value hands, and I highly doubt he's doing this with strong draws either. He'd either take a free card in position, or make a smaller bet. So figuring he probably had air here, in went the money.

Little did I know he would call with Q high and hit the running flush :facepalm: In my view that was a very poor call by him, and I really don't understand his play here at all. If someone knows why he made this play, please tell me :p

Still, I think I played this hand very well, and figured him out perfectly. Just a cooler, but still sucks I couldn't get those extra $30 :(

Hand 3
      PokerStars - $0.50+$0.05|8500/17000 NL - Holdem - 8 players

MP: 392,647.00
      MP+1: 426,396.00
      CO: 138,846.00
      BTN: 164,386.00
      SB: 243,578.00
      Hero (BB): 306,200.00
      UTG: 314,832.00
      UTG+1: 214,236.00

MP posts ante 2,125.00, MP+1 posts ante 2,125.00, CO posts ante 2,125.00, BTN posts ante 2,125.00, SB posts ante 2,125.00, Hero posts ante 2,125.00, UTG posts ante 2,125.00, UTG+1 posts ante 2,125.00, SB posts SB 8,500.00, Hero posts BB 17,000.00

Pre Flop: (pot: 42500.00) Hero has J:club: 2:spade:

fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, SB calls 8,500.00, Hero checks

Flop: (51000.00, 2 players) 2:club: J:heart: J:spade:
      SB bets 34,000.00, Hero calls 34,000.00

Turn: (119000.00, 2 players) K:diamond:
      SB bets 190,453.00 and is all-in, Hero calls 190,453.00

River: (499906.00, 2 players) A:diamond:

SB shows K:heart: 6:spade: (Two Pair, Kings and Jacks) (Pre 64%, Flop 0%, Turn 5%)
      Hero shows J:club: 2:spade: (Full House, Jacks full of Twos) (Pre 36%, Flop 100%, Turn 95%)
      Hero wins 499,906.00

Always lovely when they just want to give you their chips for free :f_biggrin:

Hand 4
      PokerStars - $2.28+$0.22|500/1000 NL - Holdem - 8 players

Hero (MP): 17,428.00
      MP+1: 10,777.00
      CO: 8,085.00
      BTN: 6,930.00
      SB: 3,925.00
      BB: 5,706.00
      UTG: 16,702.00
      UTG+1: 7,469.00

Hero posts ante 100.00, MP+1 posts ante 100.00, CO posts ante 100.00, BTN posts ante 100.00, SB posts ante 100.00, BB posts ante 100.00, UTG posts ante 100.00, UTG+1 posts ante 100.00, SB posts SB 500.00, BB posts BB 1,000.00

Pre Flop: (pot: 2300.00) Hero has A:heart: A:diamond:

UTG raises to 2,000.00, fold, Hero calls 2,000.00, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold

Flop: (6300.00, 2 players) 4:heart: 3:spade: 3:club:
      UTG bets 14,602.00 and is all-in, Hero calls 14,602.00

Turn: (35504.00, 2 players) K:spade:

River: (35504.00, 2 players) T:heart:

UTG shows Q:spade: J:spade: (One Pair, Threes) (Pre 20%, Flop 4%, Turn 18%)
      Hero shows A:heart: A:diamond: (Two Pair, Aces and Threes) (Pre 80%, Flop 96%, Turn 82%)
      Hero wins 35,504.00

Same story here. I won't turn down free chips, that's for sure.

And now for perhaps one of my favorite hands I have ever played!

Hand 5

PokerStars - $0.50+$0.05|12500/25000 NL - Holdem - 8 players

SB: 845,169.00
      BB: 400,422.00
      UTG: 1,021,954.00
      UTG+1: 239,711.00
      MP: 504,902.00
      Hero (MP+1): 236,727.00
      CO: 580,927.00
      BTN: 307,819.00

SB posts ante 3,125.00, BB posts ante 3,125.00, UTG posts ante 3,125.00, UTG+1 posts ante 3,125.00, MP posts ante 3,125.00, Hero posts ante 3,125.00, CO posts ante 3,125.00, BTN posts ante 3,125.00, SB posts SB 12,500.00, BB posts BB 25,000.00

Pre Flop: (pot: 62500.00) Hero has 5:club: K:club:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 233,602.00 and is all-in, CO raises to 577,802.00 and is all-in, fold, fold, fold

Flop: (529704.00, 2 players) 4:club: 7:heart: J:diamond:

Turn: (529704.00, 2 players) 6:club:

River: (529704.00, 2 players) 7:club:

Hero shows 5:club: K:club: (Flush, King High) (Pre 12%, Flop 8%, Turn 34%)
      CO shows K:heart: K:spade: (Two Pair, Kings and Sevens) (Pre 88%, Flop 92%, Turn 66%)
      Hero wins 529,704.00

When this happened... The chat just about exploded, and I was just sitting here laughing my ass off :f_biggrin:

Basically, I was a terrible player, jokerstars, **** *** ***** *** ***, "you smoke too much pot", "K5 lolololol", donk, idiot... You get the point :D

I did review this hand, and K5s is actually a pretty close one in this spot. Nash suggests shoving K6s+ in this spot, so perhaps I should have folded this.

Still though, this was absolutely hilarious.

So yeah, most of these hands were pretty standard, though the second hand was actually pretty interesting. I just got really unlucky there, that's all.

Now on to more serious business.

As far as my bankroll is concerned, it's back up to over $500 now, which is excellent. It's excellent because it means I can still play the $3 tournaments now, which have a couple tournaments that I really enjoy playing. If I would have dropped down to or below $400, I would have had to let those go and play $2 tournaments at most. The $1 and $2 tournaments don't really have any regular speed tournaments that I can play due to time restrictions, but there's a few $3 ones that start pretty early in the evening. So being able to still play those makes me pretty happy :)

If I would have had to move down though, I certainly would have. I told myself to follow my BRM strictly, and so I will.

I think I'll be able to play another session tomorrow, and we'll see how it goes then. I'm not sure I'll be able to though, but we'll see.

I'm also thinking about depositing some extra cash later to play a few SCOOP events. Unfortunately most of them are two day events though, from what I've seen, so it may be difficult. Obviously if I am going to play, I'm going to play the low tournaments. I don't plan on investing thousands of dollars into one tournament. One thing I will definitely try to do though, is satellite into the Main Event (low as well). I probably won't play it unless I get a really nice cash somewhere soon, or satellite into it, because $100 is quite a lot for one tournament. This is all speculation for now though. I'll see about this when the SCOOP actually starts.

But hey, we all want to get that big first prize right? :f_cool:

I actually played a SCOOP event last year as well. Don't ask me why, but I played an (off the top of my head) $82 Ante Up tournament in which I got pretty deep and managed to make a ~$500 profit. BRM? What BRM? In addition, it was the first ever Ante Up tournament I ever played. :coolface:

I definitely won't be making mistakes like that though. :facepalm:

Anyway, that should wrap it up for now. I had a great session, and aside of that also actually had a lot of fun. But I guess everything's more fun when you are winning :)

If you read through all this, props to you :)

Current BR: $513.73
    • Wohmfg
      Wohmfg
      Silver
      Ahhh, nice to see you are running good!

Hand 2, I often think people play kinda spazzy heads up in tournaments... Like they want to end it quickly. That's why he called I am guessing.

I prefer to just shove QJo for 17bbs tho. You get folds so often. What made you come to the conclusion that he is a solid reg btw?

Hand 5, if nash says K6s+ then you can shove wider profitably because people are far too tight often :) So I say good shove!

When is SCOOP?!
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Yep, definitely nice indeed!

His OPR stats said he was a solid reg, and he also played pretty solid from what I could tell by playing against him. So yeah, that made it all the more confusing for me that he called my shove. Oh well.

I definitely agree simply shoving is good though. Just wanted to try out something else for a change.

SCOOP starts May 12th if I'm correct. I believe the first event is 6max. Don't quote me on that one though. :)
    • Wohmfg
      Wohmfg
      Silver
      Ah, hopefully your roll will be nice and healthy for that!

Gl gl.
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Yep, I definitely hope so as well! But that would require a couple massive ships, which I highly doubt is going to happen within two weeks or so :p

So I'll probably end up (hopefully) satting into a couple. Maybe I'll even deposit a little extra just to play a couple tournaments, but still not sure about that. That means I'll likely be playing underrolled for those, but I'm going to be playing those more for the fun of it, so I'll allow myself to play a few I think.

And ty :D Gl to you too :)
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Played a short session today, good for a $30 loss. Had a couple small cashes, but nothing significant. But I played okay, so I'm not going to complain.

Definitely did make some marginal plays, like shoving/calling too loose, but overall I think I'm getting better at especially open shoving ranges. I think I'm just going to spend a while with the ICM trainer or something to get some more practice on this, since it's pretty important.

Unfortunately this week is pretty messy for me, so I won't be able to play too much more. Our back yard is one big mess since we're completely re-designing it, so that's going to take up a lot of time. Plus I have to watch Champions League and Europa Cup football (semi finals) this week so I also won't be able to play the coming evenings either.

I think I might be able to squeeze in a short session tomorrow morning, but aside of that I don't think I'll be able to play until Saturday evening or something. If not, I think I'm going to try and play a lot on Sunday. I do want to put in at least some volume if at all possible, and this week is going to be pretty tough to get that. But I'll try.

also just about 10 VPPs away from silver star woo :f_cool:

So if I considered that a goal at all, I will definitely be able to achieve that.

As far as other goal setting is conerned, I think it should be possible to at least set some volume goals for next month. So far I have played ~400 tournaments this month (which isn't the entire month), so perhaps it would be possible to set myself a goal of 500 tournaments next month. One thing I definitely won't be doing is setting myself monetary goals, or goals of which limits to move up to. I think variance is just too high for that, and I'm just not going to be able to put in enough volume to set goals like that.

So we'll see about that at the end of the month.

Current BR: $489.36
    • adamrothwell
      adamrothwell
      Bronze
      Nice blog :) I find football gets in the way of poker quite often too :P Which football team do you support?