There's no rest for the wicked

• Rains7
      Rains7
      Bronze
      Hallo everyone! :)

About myself:

There is not really much to say about me, I guess. My name is Michael, I am 23 years old and I am currently studying at university (English & German -> teacher programme). Hmm, my hobbies are snowboarding, skateboarding and I am very much into movies.

I am a very relaxed person in general and a little bit lazy and i really want to change this lazy attitude towards poker and start to take it more serious. Honestly, I did not in the past and just spent hours with watching movies about poker and dreaming about making money just like they did...but dreaming about it is not enough! I really want to work hard on my game and to improve my poker skills.

So - that's it for the start -> a long way to go!

Reasons for starting this blog:

Actually, this is my second blog. I quit the first one as poker just got on my nerves way too much. One problem was that I could not really cope with bad beats and statred tilting all the time. In fact, I quit playing poker for quite a time and want to start out again BUT this will be the last time ever. Probably, the game of the games is not made for everyone and I just do not want to be in a bad mood all the time because of a bad mindset.

I blew my first two bankrolls because I did not really take poker seriously, but this changed after some time. A friend of mine gave me 5$ :s_love: on Pokerstars and I started to play it up. After ahving a BR of ~60$ I managed to win a 2,50 tournament which boosted it to 180$. :s_cool:
      Of course, I started to play on NL5 and busted half of my bankroll and lost a bit more on NL2 :f_mad: Hmm, I just hated that feeling of losing it all on such low (in fact, lowest) limits and quit poker for almost 1 year now. (in fact I still have ~80$ left :coolface: )

One of my main problems was that I do not really know other people who play poker. If I have a hobby I want to talk about it with other people who share the same interest. Most of my friends kept telling me that it was all a waste of time and that it is just a stupid game that nobody is able to win. After arguing for quite some time (they kept telling me to cash out every 10$ :s_confused: ) I just let the topic be and kept playing for myself. This is also one of my big problems -> some people always keep telling you what's possible and what's not and with the time I started to believe that and I am quite angry about my mindset towards that :s_evil: So when everybody tells you that making money in poker is impossible (or just impossible for "you" :rage: )... you start believing it at some point (at least I had the problem and I want this to change!!! :f_grin: )
      In fact, I have 2 friends who are into poker, but one of them just plays live poker and the other one plays PLO on highstakes.

This is why I also want to become part of this great community and share hands, theory and other stuff with a lot of people which was another factor for me to start this (2nd) blog. Moreover, I want to update it at least 3 times a week or even more frequently. :D

:spade: So if you are interested in talking about poker / sharing ideas / talking about mindest or any other stuff just add me or write in this blog :f_cool: I know I am playing NL2 ( :f_biggrin: ) at the moment and people are generally more interested in talking to people on higher limits - but hopefully I'll be there soon :s_cool:

How to achieve that:

:spade: put a lot of focus on theory than playing in the beginning
      :spade: post every hand I am not sure of
      :spade: become more active in the online poker community & update blog frequently
      :spade: achieve a higher status on PS to be able to gain more informations (that will not be that easy because I am playing at Stars and I am not tracked there so I will have to think of another solution :f_mad: )
      :spade: Doing session reviews and trying out to find my leaks at a regular basis
      :spade: Checking Ask me anything about 6-max: pleno1's coaching thread at a regular basis as I think that he has a lot of great ideas/answers to a lot of questions! I also have to think about good questions myself that I'll ask him :f_biggrin:
      :spade: Read The Quick Guide to Skyrocketing Yout Poker and Life Productivity and also DO it!
      :spade: Read both of Jared Tender's books -> The mental game of Poker and implement his ideas and suggestions in my game as I had serious tilting issues - still have some but it got a lot better I think! :f_love:

So this is the plan so far - I will add more ideas if I can think of some! Of course, I am happy about suggestions made by you if you have any tipps of something :f_biggrin:

Short term goals:

:spade: Playing 20k hands every month
      :spade: Reaching a BR to be able to play at NL5 (BR: 116,56 :f_love: ) and be a winning player at this limit
      :spade: Working even more on my mental game as it still has some serious leaks I guess (calling the river when I shouldn't, betting when there's no foldequity...)
      :spade: Working more on my actual poker skills (plan mentioned above)
      :spade: Finding somebody who wants to do sweat sessions as I guess that it is a good way to improve (found somebody wuhu :f_cool: and I am really looking forward to this)
      :spade: Figure out what to do first / make a plan what is the most important thing to begin with when it comes to theory (maybe a question for pleno1 :f_biggrin: )
      :spade: Changing my attitude about poker and taking it very seriously -> no retreat, no surrender!!!
      :spade: Doing something to be fitter physically - have to figure out a plan to do that too as it might help you in many ways!
      :spade: Stop listening to people who tell me that reaching certain goals is impossible!
      :spade: Stop partying too much and concentring on more important things (been partying way too much the last couple of months)
      :spade: Stop being distracted by facebook and other mindless stuff when I could do something that is way more productive as I tend to waste a lot of time instead of using in a good way!

Again, adding more stuff when I have new ideas so that I don't forget it. A blog is probably the best method to do this.

Long term goals:

:spade: Becoming a Black Member one day - that would be so great :f_love:
      :spade: Being able to live from poker one day as it gives you a lot of freedom!
      :spade: Doing better at university as I am not doing my best (this should be a short term goal but I guess it's a motivation issue - I still manage to get positive grades but I could do way better / way more courses )
      :spade: Helping other players to become better if it is within my possibilities (if I am good enough to do that one day -> I am going to do my very best to achieve that!!!)
      :spade: Travel to a lot of different countries to get to know other cultures!!!
      :spade: Quit smoking :f_biggrin:

So that's about it I guess! Here is one more video that probably motivates everybody: Champions Stand Up One More Time Than The rRest - Part 1

It's really motivating and everybody can watch it - a lot of truth in it I think :f_eek:

Final words...Good luck at the tables everybody -> Ship it!!! :s_biggrin:

• 60 replies
    • Rains7
      Rains7
      Bronze
      So this is my last graph before quitting poker (I somehow deleted a lot of hands in HEM):

This is the graph of my last session:

Hopefully it goes on like this.
      I figured out that there is not really much sense in bluffin on NL2 and probably not on NL5. Sometimes folding is simply the best option I guess. There is not much foldequity on NL2... you just have to wait for good cards and a good board and then go for it. Of course, a huge fish who is ready to pay you off is always most profitable which the first graph proves I guess :s_biggrin:

Maybe any comments on how to beat NL2/NL5???
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Good luck in reaching your goals.

BTW: There is easiest way to copy your HM2 graph. Just right click on graph and choose 'Save Image As...'...you will have really less work to upload your graphs.

Good luck.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hey Michael, welcome to blogs sir!

I found this thread by Erik, our awesome life coach and thought it might help with your tilt problem and lots of other stuff you can ask about.
      I posted the link for you:

[EmbraceTilt] Erik Stenqvist: Tilt, A-Game, Mindset, and Lifecoaching ~ Q&A

Good luck with the blog and have fun,

Mal.
    • Rains7
      Rains7
      Bronze
      @Alan883

Thanks a lot :)

@gadget51

Thanks you for the kind words!
      I already know this thread! Haven't read it yet but I will certainly do so and ask 1 or 2 questions :D
      So thank you for pointing that out again :)
    • Rains7
      Rains7
      Bronze
      Just played a little session of 400 hands and lost 3 buy ins :s_evil:
      At the end i tilted a little bit and quit then (play another session a little bit later because I need to cool down :D )

My favourite hand of the day so far:

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.02(BB) Replayer
      SB ($2)
      BB ($2.28)
      UTG ($9.82)
      UTG+1 ($10.38)
      Hero ($2)
      BTN ($2.17)

Dealt to Hero K:diamond: K:heart:

UTG raises to $0.10, UTG+1 calls $0.10, Hero raises to $2 (AI), fold, fold, fold, UTG raises to $3.90, fold

FLOP ($4.13) 6:spade: 8:diamond: 4:spade:

TURN ($4.13) 6:spade: 8:diamond: 4:spade: 7:heart:

RIVER ($4.13) 6:spade: 8:diamond: 4:spade: 7:heart: A:heart:

Hero shows K:diamond: K:heart:
      (Pre 71%, Flop 81.4%, Turn 79.5%)

UTG shows T:spade: A:diamond:
      (Pre 29%, Flop 18.6%, Turn 20.5%)

UTG wins $3.99

That guy was shoving with crap almost every hand preflop! Was really happy when I saw King Kong and then he got me on the river :f_cry:

Another hand got me on the river as well but that was my fault (tilting!) AK<KJ
      So watching a movie or something and playing another session later!

GL at the tables everybody :s_cool:
    • VaskataBuci
      VaskataBuci
      Bronze
      Stop focusing on hands like this one. You played the hand well, that's it.

GL
    • Rains7
      Rains7
      Bronze
      Yeah you are right!

Just wanted to share my anger with the world I guess :s_biggrin:
      I also want to do some more session reviews and start looking for my biggest leaks!
      Of course, I will also post some interesting hands (where I did not really know what to do) in the forum as well and maybe some in my blog - we'll see!
    • Rains7
      Rains7
      Bronze
      So probably last post for today... I just played 2 sessions today and ended up losing, but that's not that bad I guess! I analyzed the sessions (and some more) which took me some hours and found some mistakes that I constantly make:

- I have to play good hands more aggrassively and reraise more often. I guess that I am giving villains too much credit in certain spots and I am always expecting the worst.

- Stop making stupid calls (they got less, but there are still some costy calls that I can avoid) & stop making stupid moves when I know that I'll lose money (call villain just to see what he has and stuff...even if it is just 1bb)

- learning more about ranges in general and how I can exploit them! I mean I know about ranges wayyy not enough! Ranges are probably the most important to be a winner in that game.

- concentrate more when I play a session -> there are always these phases during a session when my brain is almost in stand by mode and I am just clicking the buttons like a robot! I have to take a short break then and do something else for 5 - 10 minutes!

Here is my graph for today:

I know that this could have been a winning session but because of all the mistakes.... anyway I am glad that I've done a session review :)

GL at the tables :s_cool:
    • gAsheks
      gAsheks
      Bronze
      Dont be upset. Good times will come :D
    • Rains7
      Rains7
      Bronze
      I hope so :s_biggrin:
    • Rains7
      Rains7
      Bronze
      Just been studying today! Playing a little session a little bit later!
      I found some nice videos I wanted to share :s_biggrin:
      Be aware of these nasty panda creatures :f_biggrin:

• Rains7
      Rains7
      Bronze
      Just wanted to update my blog!

I am afraid I have no big news on the poker front... I wanted to play a ton of hands but then one of my best friends called me! He told me about his (now ex) girlfriend who cheated on him and left him... after like 2 years :heart: - she is (was) the rake in his life obv...

Long story short we bought a whole lotta beer and started drinking :D (that was the only option we could think of to make him forget about her...)
      Went out after drinking to drink even more and pick up some girls for a little bit justice... which didnt end that well because of being drunk :s_confused:

We used a pretty LAGish style to start the conversations but had to fold every time after a short (max. 2 min) chat. After some cocktails we were busto and went home...alone :f_cool:

As a result of these actions my ability to think was quite limited and I just didnt want to play -> but tomorrow I'm going to play at least 1k hands :)
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Why did you fold every time after short chat? Well next time you have to use TAG style at least if you are not prepared to a lot of raising when you have nothing.

Maybe NIT is the right choice for you guys. :f_biggrin:

Good luck with poker and :f_love: in future.
    • Rains7
      Rains7
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Alan883
      Why did you fold every time after short chat? Well next time you have to use TAG style at least if you are not prepared to a lot of raising when you have nothing.

Maybe NIT is the right choice for you guys. :f_biggrin:

Good luck with poker and :f_love: in future.

Hehe :f_biggrin:
      Yeah well maybe you are right - they probably had a soulread :f_eek:
      GL to you as well - crush em hard :s_biggrin:
    • Rains7
      Rains7
      Bronze
      Good day to you :D

Didnt play as much as I wanted to because there was always somebody around! I dont want to play when there is someone sitting next to me and constantly talking... :evil:

So I played a little session with some ups and downs!
      I wanted to get my red line a little but up which seems to be pretty hard on NL2 (probably on other limits as well...)! I watched some of pleno1's coaching on twitch tv and I was extremely impressed by his play! Ofc I didnt understand all of his actions but somehow tried to "copy" his style...not easy :s_biggrin:
      The sessions he played were on NL25 zoom - I wonder if such a style would also function on NL2 ?(

Here some hands of my session:

Bad news first:

Hero ($2.07)
      BB ($8.84)
      UTG ($5.54)
      UTG+1 ($2)
      CO ($2.88)
      BTN ($5)

Dealt to Hero 6:club: 6:heart:

fold, fold, CO raises to $0.06, fold, Hero calls $0.05, fold

FLOP ($0.14) 8:spade: 6:diamond: 9:club:

Hero bets $0.08, CO raises to $0.16, Hero raises to $0.32, CO raises to $1, Hero raises to $2.01 (AI), CO calls $1.01

TURN ($4.16) 8:spade: 6:diamond: 9:club: 3:spade:

RIVER ($4.16) 8:spade: 6:diamond: 9:club: 3:spade: K:heart:

CO shows T:club: 7:spade:
      (Pre 46%, Flop 65.1%, Turn 77.3%)

Hero shows 6:club: 6:heart:
      (Pre 54%, Flop 34.9%, Turn 22.7%)

CO wins $4.01

I mean what the hell... :s_evil: T7o? really???

I was just trying to get him AI with overpair:

Hero ($2.01)
      BB ($4.19)
      UTG ($3.12)
      CO ($2.23)
      BTN ($0.65) 53/9 over the course of 44 hans

Dealt to Hero T:diamond: T:heart:

fold, fold, BTN calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.08, fold, BTN calls $0.06

FLOP ($0.18) 4:club: 7:diamond: 7:club:

Hero bets $0.12, BTN calls $0.12

TURN ($0.42) 4:club: 7:diamond: 7:club: 4:heart:

Hero bets $0.30, BTN raises to $0.45 (AI), Hero calls $0.15

RIVER ($1.32) 4:club: 7:diamond: 7:club: 4:heart: J:club:

BTN shows A:heart: 7:heart:
      (Pre 32%, Flop 91.4%, Turn 95.5%)

Hero shows T:diamond: T:heart:
      (Pre 68%, Flop 8.6%, Turn 4.5%)

BTN wins $1.27

Would you have played it differently???

I will post a graph of the day a little bit later because I want to play another session!

GL at the tables :s_cool:
    • Rains7
      Rains7
      Bronze
      So playe a little more and managed to get in the greens, although there was one lucky and I am not really proud of...I wanted to play a little longer but I am getting tired and just stopped which is better I guess (know by experience...)

Barcelona's loss against Bayern also tilted me a lot I have to admit :f_cry:

Here is my graph for today (sorry for poor quality):

In the first part of the session I tried to get my red line up a little bit which functioned quite well! Then I just thought of me as being Phil Ivey and tried out too many moves because of the success of the last few times...well, I have to find a good balance and not try to make too many bluffs.

I was watching some of pleno1's video as I have already mentioned and his ability to read hands is just awsome! His style is just above my possibilities (atm :s_biggrin: ) and I should stick a little bit more to a tighter style but it's just such a good feeling if a move works :s_cool:

Here some thoughts:

- A lot of players dont fold on NL2 when they have a draw! Fold when you guess that they have it (they do not try out fancy play most of the time)

- Think about your opponent's range and try exploit it (VPIP/PFR often shows you what kind of player you are facing eg. rock, maniac and so on)

- Probably most imporatant: Is it good to play fit/fold on NL2? A lot of players dont fold as mentioned above. A good balance might be ~85% fit/fold and trying to exploit in some other spots against opponents who can fold.

In my session reviews I am constantly thinking about "what if" scenarios and how players would react to certain actions. I guess the tendency is that they do fold to that line:

bet flop/ bet turn -> always 3/4 of the pot or 2/3, it depends. I used to bet flop / check turn because I was too scared that they might always hit their draws. In a lot of cases they also call the turn -> if they reraise the river they sometimes try to "protect" their against failed draws so c/c or c/r would be a good idea (as always, it depends) but I guess that there are some players who try to win on the river when they did not hit because of the check. :f_confused:

Hmm, some confusing thoughts there I guess - sorry for that :f_biggrin:

One mistake is probably that I often think of the way I would play a hand because I should think more about their thoughts (stats help!).

Anyway, wish you all good luck at the tables :s_cool:
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      I have to say that i have never play NL2. But i guess you have to focus on value bets and not on bluffs. This is my advice for you. Be tight and do value bets. I don't know how ppl play on that limit but i guess that most of them are there just for fun. You can do some 3bet bluffs and 4bet bluffs preflop but there is no need to bluff postflop. Just play your best value game and i think that should be more than enough for that limit. When you think ppl are on draw bet 75% to 80% of pot and when they hit their draw give up....

well we can make long sorry short by saying....work on value and dont try to bluff guys away because they won't fold on NL2.

If you find a difficult table just go on the other one.

btw: bayern made many ppl tiliting today very hard :f_biggrin:

good luck mate
    • Rains7
      Rains7
      Bronze
      Well I guess you are right sir!

Hope Bayern will not win the Champions League :s_evil:
      Would be a sad day for all of us :D
    • Yozan
      Yozan
      Platinum
      GL with ure challenge,about the hands C-bet bigger at1st...Standard