[NL20-NL50] TJs river straight

• Gonchan
      Gonchan
      Bronze
      Prima, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $50 (100 bb)
      Hero (BB): $50 (100 bb)
      UTG: $50 (100 bb)
      MP: $97.72 (195.4 bb)
      CO: $7.94 (15.9 bb)
      BTN: $76.43 (152.9 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J T
      2 folds, CO calls $0.50, BTN raises to $2, SB folds, Hero calls $1.50, CO calls $1.50

Flop: ($6.25) 3 J 9 (3 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks, BTN bets $4.50, Hero calls $4.50, CO folds

Turn: ($15.25) Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $9, Hero calls $9

River: ($33.25) 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $34.50 and is all-in, BTN calls $34.50

Results:
      $102.25 pot ($3 rake)
      Final Board: 3 J 9 Q 8
      Hero showed J T and lost (-$50 net)
      BTN showed K A and won $99.25 ($49.25 net)

23/19/1.0k

On turn I thought pair+oesd is good for call.

On river, should I donk? certainly I lost against flash, there was still call my donk but don't bet.
  • 10 replies
    • confidant91
      confidant91
      Coach
      Coach
      hello, i think that your play on flop and turn is ok. River is interesting and i think that it is good to donk. But my siying would be quite small to get calls from sets and two pair combinations. When you shove here you generate quite a lot of FE.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey,

I think you should fold the turn vs the 2nd barrel. You are playing for a not nutted redraw without implied odds since it's 4 to a straight. As played, check/call river maybe.. What do you expect to get called by when you bet there?
    • Gonchan
      Gonchan
      Bronze
      I aimed trips..

non nutted draw is because third spade destroy me?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gonchan
      I aimed trips..

non nutted draw is because third spade destroy me?
      Spade, KT beats us.. Tx splits.. non-Tx has a hard time calling when both Tx and spades got there. :)
    • Gonchan
      Gonchan
      Bronze
      KQs turn K hit double barreled

What is difference from this hand?

Top pair or nuts straight draw make change?
      Moreover, how about BDFD on that hand?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Yep, having TP so a hand like QT here would make a good difference.. when we compare it's reasonable to say QT is about the same as KQ there.. I think KQ there might be a bit stronger but as an example in difference between hands I think it makes sense.

You have TP + outs meaning your opponent a) has less TP combosm b) more 2nd pair combos and c) you draw to the nuts a lot easier in the KQ hand when there is only one FD and that is BD, not flopped, so people have it less often on the turn.

Get the difference or do you have more questions? :)
    • Gonchan
      Gonchan
      Bronze
      Hmm, so KQ and QT was almost same at that point?

and on this hand, KT would beat me ( and it is natural combo) and fd was not bd.

Is this all deference?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      KQ there is like QT here.. Your JT here is like QJ there.. makes sense a bit? :)

Yeah, KT would beat you (like AQ would there) but the 2 flushdraws makes your outs dirtier (your opponent can have quite a few flop flushdraws and some BD flushdraws) while in that case you only cared a bit about BD flushdraw. BD flushdraw being more unlikely than flopped one usually in a spot where you get barreled.

Hope it helps!
    • Gonchan
      Gonchan
      Bronze
      So even KQ might be beaten by AQ also there, top pair and bdfd made preferance call?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gonchan
      So even KQ might be beaten by AQ also there, top pair and bdfd made preferance call?
      It might be beaten but you block Kx combos that beat you, that's decisive.. you don't beat any of top pair in his range in this while there you do (almost all ofc, never 100% :D ) plus you also have dirtier outs like I said before. In this hand, spade or club is not clean, while there only club is dirty. Since the club draw is BD also, then you also know he is somewhat more unlikely to have it and barrel it.