Goal: baller status, ETA: 6 months, Method: MTTs!!

• Wohmfg
      Wohmfg
      Silver
      Hi everyone and welcome to my MTT blog!

About me:

I'm a 25 year old guy from the UK who graduated last summer with a Masters in mechanical engineering. I am currently trying to make a living playing MTTs! Only possible right now because I live rent free with parents, but I hope to change that soon!

I absolutely love poker, I love the problems that you have to solve when you play poker, I love that there are so many different areas of expertise required to become a good poker player. I am interested in self development and poker is what I have spent the most time developing over the past 10 months since I graduated.

My story:

After graduating, instead of getting a real job I decided to try my hand at poker having been relatively successful at SNGs and MTTs when I played for fun! (heater graphs to follow... I think it was Phil Galfond who said almost every poker pro went on a heater at the start of their career otherwise they would have quit poker by now, so I suppose in a way I have Galfond's endorsement lololol) My interest in poker started, as I'm sure it did with a lot of you guys, when I would play home games with my friends. This was at the same time that PokerStrategy was sponsoring a Starcraft tournament at a Starcraft forum I frequent, the Team Liquid Starleague. Being a frugal and shrewd man (poor student) I couldn't pass up the offer of a free $50 with the potential to make more with PokerStrategy's free tutoring.

For some reason I decided fixed limit was the game for me, and I diligently followed the charts provided to me which showed me exactly how to play. Partly because low stakes FL was boring as hell and partly because I was getting ripped by my friends for playing a pussy's game, I decided to make the switch to turbo SNGs. I was playing on Party, and I think they have changed the blind structure now but back then the jumps in blind levels were really brutal, especially for a nit like me, the kind of nit that would fold a baby ace first in on the button with 5bbs... So after I blinded away my whole 50 bucks, I got another offer from PS at another free 50 on Full Tilt:

Grind out 1000 $1 SNGs, make $50... Play 300 $6 SNGs, make $150, POKER IS EASY :f_grin:

I used this money (bout $600 after rakeback) to go round Eastern Europe just before Full Tilt went busto. So I had no money to play with. And the poker bug had got me pretty bad. That summer I found a site offering free $15, no strings attached. I entered a few MTTS (small ones, 50-300 people) and never looked back from small field MTTs:

Nice little heater for $15 in MTTs at the start there lololol

Having taken bits and pieces of this out since I started, my roll stands at around $1.6k. Due to the terrible software of the site and my terrible old laptop (first thing I get when I ship a tourney :D ), I could only ever play 4-5 tables at a time. Therefore...

Where I am now:

I moved my entire roll ($1.6k) onto Stars. Currently 10-tabling the $2.50 180mans, getting used to my hotkeys and HEM2 which I have the trial for and am definitely buying when it runs out in a few weeks. I am trying to play 4 sessions a week, which last around 4-6 hours, and in between times constantly lurking/posting in the <$11 MTT hand evaluation forums.

Since starting this pursuit 10 months ago, I haven't achieved enough. Laziness, run bad, and bad software have all held me back. Now there is nothing holding me back, once I am comfortable on Stars I will start to enter the mass field MTTs, ship a few tourneys and retire at 26 :f_cool:

What I will use this blog for:

TO IMPROVE!

I want to get involved in active discussions about how to improve my game. I want to discuss poker and self improvement with like minded people.

I will be updating this blog as often as I feel I need to, posting hands, graphs, thoughts etc.
  • 18 replies
    • nooni2k
      nooni2k
      Bronze
      Greeting fellow UK player :]

Where abouts in UK?

So is your plan to go proper poker pro then?

Sadly I've never had that heater you speak of but gl to you sir and may you ship a big one in the next year :s_cool:
    • Wohmfg
      Wohmfg
      Silver
      Hey, I live in the north east, was at uni in Sheffield tho.

Yeah that is my plan! It's exciting and scary haha!
    • adamrothwell
      adamrothwell
      Bronze
      :s_cool: Go and ship some :D but keep on evaluating hands too ;) good luck!
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Will be following this ;)
    • Wohmfg
      Wohmfg
      Silver
      Thanks for the wishes guys!

First hand I want to post here as I am reviewing my sessions, I think I made a mistake with how I played it but want to know how people here would play this hand:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 2.5 Tournament, 25/50 Blinds (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

CO (t1,455)
      Button (t1,060)
      Hero (SB) (t1,590)
      BB (t1,470)
      UTG (t2,035)
      UTG+1 (t1,410)
      MP1 (t1,495)
      MP2 (t1,650)
      MP3 (t1,335)

Hero's M: 21.20

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, Q
      UTG bets t100, 2 folds, MP2 calls t100, MP3 calls t100, 2 folds, Hero ????

Call isn't bad but we are out of position with a strong hand multi way. Raise/call? Jam?
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      If you jam and just pick up the pot, you're going to increase your stack by ~30%. That's never a bad trade in my view. I wouldn't raise/call though, because you'd have to raise to 500 or something, leaving you absolutely no room pre or post flop (you have to play fit or fold post flop and pretty much have to call a 4bet pre flop).

So personally I would just jam. Plenty of fish that can call with worse anyway :f_biggrin:
    • Wohmfg
      Wohmfg
      Silver
      Yeah I did just jam... Which is the best option I think like you said, BB had KK tho so I was probs in results oriented mode when I went over this hand!

Played a 5 hour session today of 180men and MTTs with a few small cashes, was 500/1000 in the big 8.80 and jammed 20bb from BB with ATo over CO open and SB flat, SB had AK. :(

Gonna write some goals up on this blog v soon!
    • Wohmfg
      Wohmfg
      Silver
      Haven't done any grinding since my last session, I have been going over hand histories to see if I am playing well 10 tabling and I don't seem to be making any glaring errors. I was also at the horse racing at Thirsk on saturday, and had a nice little 400% ROI on 20 pound stake over 6 races! Me and my friend did some pretty extensive studying on the form of the horses but we still ran v good to come away with that kind of ROI :f_cool:

Ok time for some goal setting!!

Weekly Goals

:diamond: At least 4 sessions of at least 4 hours
      :diamond: Read/post in hand evaluation forums every day (this is a given)
      :diamond: Exercise at least 4 times
      :diamond: Review every marked hand in database
      :diamond: Go over at least 5 180man hand histories
      :diamond: Go over at least 1 6max MTT hand history

I want to make sure I am not slipping up playing 6max, especially when I am mass tabling. The site I used to play on was entirely 6max MTTs so I should be absolutely fine with it, but mixing it with FR might create problems.

Plus, I have to start exercising as I am kayaking up the Caledonian canal in Scotland in about 3 weeks, and I've probably never been so unfit in my life..!

My stats and over 16k hands, using my HUD:

VPIP | PFR | 3bet
      CBet | Fold2Cbet | Steal | Fold2Steal | Resteal
      BBs | Hands

I can click 3bet to see Fold to 3bet, I can click VPIP and PFR to see by position, I can click CBet to see by IP or OOP.

Any input at all on these stats?? I have only had a database for these past 3 weeks or so, so I have no idea whether these stats are ok, and whether my HUD is ok.
    • cDillonR
      cDillonR
      Bronze
      Nice read so far.

Good luck!
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      HUD seems pretty good to me :)

Not sure you really need the BB stat though, because it should be relatively easy to figure that one out yourself, and may save you an extra line on your HUD if you put the hands on the top row.

Personally I never use it. I personally also don't use the steal stats myself and simply use the pop ups for that. Like you said, you can click VPIP/PFR to see it by position anyway, so you can easily get rid of the steal stat imo.

My own HUD is pretty simple:

Name / Hands
      VPIP / PFR / 3bet
      Cbet / F t Cbet

I don't really need much else. These stats give me a general idea of how people play, and I won't have enough hands on most players anyway to really make use of the more advanced stats. If I do need more advanced stats (which I haven't really found necessary so far), I can simply use the pop up.

But yeah, I think your HUD is pretty good :)

I'm not going to comment much on your stats themselves. Everyone has their own style of playing that can be profitable. But I'd say it looks pretty good. Perhaps 90% cbet is a bit much, but cbetting too much is probably better than not cbetting often enough :)

If you could get some pics of your kayak trip to Scotland, I would love to see some. It's something I'd love to do sometime myself, so it would definitely be cool if you could get some. But I'd focus on some exercise first, like you said :p

Also, sick ROI :f_cool:
    • Wohmfg
      Wohmfg
      Silver
      Thanks for input on HUD :) I prefer not to click on HUD for popups unless I need to, I use hotkeys so my mouse use is kept to a minimum. I prefer it that way, so I think I'll keep the steal stats.

As soon as I had about 8k hands I realised my cbet was PROBABLY too high at 96% or something... I think I know what kind of cards to barrel on the turn vs certain opponents on certain boards, but 90% is still too high I think! I have been thinking a lot more about my cbets and I think I've already improved that aspect of my game by cbetting less vs multiple opponents, cbetting less on low boards etc. So it's now at 88% over 19k hands LOL. Probably some variance there :f_biggrin:

So I just finished a 5.5 hour session, pretty grueling as I had no big cashes in anything, and felt like I was running kinda bad.

HEM2 tells me I lost 107k chips this session, and that my chipEV is -80 chips... So I must have ran pretty damned bad???

Will do lots of reviewing tomorrow, too tired now after that session and taking my dog on a big walk (which I am NOT counting as exercise, my exercise needs to be more strenuous than that before I count it!).
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Sounds good. If you prefer using hotkeys I think I agree it should be best to keep the steal stats on there. In the end it's all up to your personal preferences anyway :)

Running bad sucks. But especially in those 180man turbos variance is pretty high. I wouldn't worry too much though. Plenty of fish out there that are just willing to give you money :f_biggrin:

Ever considered just going for a run with your dog? A friend of mine is training for a marathon, and he often goes running with his dog, which he says he enjoys quite a lot. Perhaps something worth trying out?

What kind of exercise do you do to prepare for that anyway? How do you prepare for it? Would be great to know how someone else goes about it for when I'm going to do it myself, because I definitely do plan on doing that sometime! Sure seems like it would be a lot of fun :)
    • Wohmfg
      Wohmfg
      Silver
      My dog is a simple beast. He scares easily and is already very jumpy/erratic, running with him would turn us into a death trap. He'd get confused.

I've never trained for anything like this before. I'm going to do circuit training and running. Something like 6 exercises (press ups, burpees, high knees, jumping squats, squats, mountain climbers), 15 seconds of intense exercise, then 15 seconds rest, then on to the next exercise. Then wait a minute and do it all again. Even 2 lots of that will have you worn out, it's very intense!

Some thoughts about poker:

I've noticed something while grinding the 180mans: Nearly all of the regs I've come across who are 10-20tabling are running something between 10/8 and 18/15, with 3bets ranging from 2-10%. Seems too tight to me! I've seen very few decent regs that are stealing wide at high blinds with small raises and the like.

I think I've got an edge over most of the field then :P
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Running with your dog sounds like a terrible idea then :f_biggrin:

Sounds like you do have to do some pretty intense training. Best of luck!

As for the regs in the 180 mans, I have to agree. There's quite a few regs that play this tight. However, I also find that these regs are actually pushing very wide when they get short. I guess because they're mass tabling they're simply playing very tight in the early stages, because they won't be able to keep up if they play a bit looser there.

It does happen very often that I see those regs kind of blinding down throughout the first few blind levels. Granted, sometimes you're just card dead and there's nothing you can do, but I do agree that they're probably way too tight early on.

But I'm not complaining. Tight players are the easiest to steal from :)
    • Wohmfg
      Wohmfg
      Silver
      Weekly Goals UPDATE!

:diamond: At least 4 sessions of at least 4 hours (1/4)
      :diamond: Exercise at least 4 times (2/4)
      :diamond: Review every marked hand in database Complete!
      :diamond: Go over at least 5 180man hand histories (1/5)
      :diamond: Go over at least 1 6max MTT hand history Complete!

HEM2 keeps crashing when I am flicking through hands in the replayer so I will have to review tourney HH by looking at each hand and whether I lost/gained chips. Slightly more time consuming but has to be done.

Exercised for the first time yesterday and it was tough! Feels good to be exercising tho, any exercise makes you feel better. Then on the evening I had this...:

:f_biggrin: :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin:

Going to try and grind today but might not have time for a big session as we are playing a home game tonight! But I need to get grinding as not much of the week left...
    • Wohmfg
      Wohmfg
      Silver
      Weekly Goals UPDATE!

:diamond: At least 4 sessions of at least 4 hours Complete!
      :diamond: Exercise at least 4 times (3/4)
      :diamond: Review every marked hand in database Complete!
      :diamond: Go over at least 5 180man hand histories (1/5)
      :diamond: Go over at least 1 6max MTT hand history Complete!

Managed to fit all my sessions in. Played about 22 hours this week, and managed to do quite a bit of studying as I have been watching quite a few vids and reading quite a lot of poker stuff in between times. My HEM2 trial has run out so I didn't manage to review as many games as I wanted to, but I do think I am playing quite well!

Just finished a long session now, grinded 10 tables for around 5 hours then concentrated on the tourneys I was deep in, no big cashes tho.

So far all of my profit has come from the 180mans, which is to be expected as mass field tourneys are so variance heavy.

Will write up some new goals tomorrow, try and get a bit more volume in...
    • adasko99
      adasko99
      Silver
      nice blog :f_thumbsup:

Do you play Live anything anywhere?
      Is that true that there is 3:1 women-man ratio in Sheffield due to a big amount of female students? :f_biggrin:
    • Malendes
      Malendes
      Start blog'in again, and you can count +1 sub, bro :s_cool: