Programming Question

• JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      Not sure which board this should be posted on, but can anyone comment on how easy it would be to program a website with the same structure as pokerstategy (i.e. forums, videos, articles, news stories)?

We're looking at how to provide training at work and I think an internal website with a structure something like this one would be perfect. I have a feeling it's not going to be that easy to do though...?

Cheers.
  • 3 replies
    • staktas
      staktas
      Bronze
      You could use some free forum platforms like SMF. Or if you want to make it very proffesional, you coyld buy bulletin. It isn't actually that hard, pretty easy actually. Had couple of forums myself, withoit any programming knowledge.
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      If you, or someone within the company, has pretty good programming knowledge, such a web site is relatively simple to make with a programming language like PHP.

If you want the easy way out though, there are lots of free and good alternatives out there that could do the job for you. If you actually want a full fledged web site though, I would not recommend something like SMF that staktas recommended, because that's merely a forum engine. If you want to set up a web site that allows for all the things you mentioned, you should look into a CMS (content management system) such as Drupal, or even something like WordPress which can be used in a similar fashion (and is extremely easy to use, maintain and customize). Though WordPress is primarily a blogging engine, it can also work extremely well for the type of web site you're looking for.

But if you want the most flexibility, you want to create your own web site. Perhaps there's someone within your company capable of doing it, and otherwise there's plenty of web development companies and/or freelancers out there that should be willing to do it for you.

So yeah, tons of options out there :)
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      Try e107 straight forward step by step install, find a skin u like, then add preprogrammed modules such as forums news videos u cud probs get a rough site up in a day with little to no programming experience