math math math

• 2 replies
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      When grinding it is very tough to calculate exactly everything. However, once you get enough experience, you'll know what to do in most situations anyway, because you'll have seen most situations before (especially if you review/analyze your play).

But math is used for a lot. If you're interested in SNGs, math is used for ICM. Math is used to determine your equity, the odds you're getting to call a bet, the amount of time a bluff needs to work to be profitable, to calculate the EV of a specific move, etc. etc.

Basically, math is important and is used for a lot of things in poker. However, while actually playing, especially if you're multitabling a lot, you won't really have to use most of them. But having a basic understanding of how much equity you need to call a shove for example, is very important. And in the case of SNGs, ICM is of course important.

It's almost impossible to calculate everything perfectly while playing. That's what session reviews are for :)
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey SRBSavic1!

I think TinoLaan covered it all. Thanks Tino! :f_love:

I usually don't use maths when grinding. I do use it however when I get raised. Lets say I'm on a FD and I bet and the vill raises me. Then I calculate if I can profitably call or not. But those 'calculations' are done in 10sec or so :D

I'm a math fish :facepalm:

Regards

RasTweet