[NL2-NL10] Nl5 Fr - 88

• JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      No Limit Hold'em $0,02/$0,05
      PokerStars
      9 players
      Formatted by pokercopilot.com - Mac OS X hand history analysis and tracking

Stacks:
      UTG - UTG ($2,27)
      UTG+1 - UTG+1 ($4,44) VPIP 19, PFR 11, F3B 67, Hands 57
      UTG+2 - UTG+2 ($16,43) VPIP 46, PFR 29, F3B 0/0 Hands 28
      MP - MP ($2,50)
      MP2 - MP2 ($3,39)
      CO - CO ($1,55)
      BTN - BTN ($2,66)
      SB - Hero ($8,59)
      BB - BB ($6,31)

Preflop: ($0,07, 9 players) Hero is SB with 8:diamond: 8:heart:
      1 fold, UTG+1 raises to $0,10, UTG+2 calls $0,10, 3 folds, BTN calls $0,10, Hero raises to $0,50, 2 folds, UTG+2 calls $0,40, 1 fold

Flop: 3:spade: 8:spade: 6:club: ($1,25, 2 players)
      Hero bets $0,71, UTG+2 raises to $1,82, Hero raises to $8,09 (all-in)

Preflop: I decided too squeeze since my hand would be pretty much worthless post-flop unless I hit a set.

Flop: My question is what I should do when he raise. Obv. I want the money in with the nuts, but I'm just not sure if my sizing was too big, I was considering raising $4, but I really didn't had much more than a pot size bet left, so I ended up shoving.
  • 5 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi JcSeerup,

Preflop: I would raise larger versus 3 players there and OOP if we raise. However, why are we turning a hand like 88 that can play for implied odds into a bluff here preflop? It's hard to justify as a 3-bet for value.

As played I would 3-bet smaller to let him get the money in.
    • JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      Our other option is to play oop in a 4-way pot is that really so much better? Now we don't even have the option of taking it down on the flop, unless we turn it into a bluff anyway or hit a set.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by JCSeerup
      Our other option is to play oop in a 4-way pot is that really so much better? Now we don't even have the option of taking it down on the flop, unless we turn it into a bluff anyway or hit a set.
      How often do you expect to take down the pot if you get called in the 3bet?

Also, do you ever continue after a 4-bet?

So you turned a hand that plays for implied odds into a bluff although, since we have fish in the pot, you normally get called and can't do much postflop at all. So all you did is grow the pot before you hit.
    • JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BogdanPS

So you turned a hand that plays for implied odds into a bluff although, since we have fish in the pot, you normally get called and can't do much postflop at all. So all you did is grow the pot before you hit.
      I don't really have a sample on this, but I guess I can take down the pot on a good amount of flops without aces in them. I guess thats the kind of board I would cbet unless they are too wet.

Unless it's some stupid min 4b, then pretty much never.

I see your point, I just hear to much of "you don't wanna play pop without initiative" But in this case I guess we would have had better implied odds by calling. But if we take this hand as an example would the squeezing range be like TT+, AJs+, AKo when we are in the blinds? TT might be close, right?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by BogdanPS

I don't really have a sample on this, but I guess I can take down the pot on a good amount of flops without aces in them. I guess thats the kind of board I would cbet unless they are too wet.

Unless it's some stupid min 4b, then pretty much never.

I see your point, I just hear to much of "you don't wanna play pop without initiative" But in this case I guess we would have had better implied odds by calling. But if we take this hand as an example would the squeezing range be like TT+, AJs+, AKo when we are in the blinds? TT might be close, right?
      It really depends why you are squeezing.

TT+, AT+, KQs are all most likely pure value considering the fish in the pot.