[NL20-NL50] nl25 QJo

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BTN): $40.64 (162.6 bb)
      SB: $31.04 (124.2 bb)
      BB: $41.88 (167.5 bb)
      UTG: $43.49 (174 bb)
      MP: $25.22 (100.9 bb)
      CO: $20.47 (81.9 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with Q J
      UTG folds, MP raises to $0.75, CO calls $0.75, Hero raises to $3, 3 folds, CO calls $2.25

Flop: ($7.10) 3 8 9 (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($7.10) T (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $4.80, CO calls $4.80

River: ($16.70) 9 (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $32.84 and is all-in,

MP is folding tons to 3bets over a decent sample. CO is a total unknown but looks weak given that he doesnt have 100bb.

i thought it was a decent spot to squeeze preflop but i haven't looked too deeply into squeezes.

on the flop once i was called pre i don't think i have enough fold equity to bet this so i planned to go for a delayed cbet.

on the turn, just bet for value.

on the river it's not the best card. i don't know if i overplayed it by shipping it in... he only had 50bb left so i thought i might be missing out on value from something like JJ or A9 if i didn't ship.... didn't feel very good about it but it's either a ship or a check i think.
  • 3 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey,

I think most sets would not check twice, neither would most 2pairs. You basically still have the nuts imo.

I would bet bigger on theturn though, many draws that call there.

You also give him better river odds with bluffcatchers that way so you get more value on both streets actually, not just the turn.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      cool. what do you think about flop play? i didn't cbet because i don't know if i'll get many folds on this texture. it's quite low compared to people's 3bet-calling hands which made me think he'll peel quite light.

but at the same time i have a GS + 2 overs... should this be a standard cbet?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      It's one of those super marginal spots..

on the one hand, the board texture connects with his range and your perceived range here doesn't connect.

On the other, you have some equity and hit this board a bit more than you would on average.

I personally don't like cbetting here that much. Your overcard outs are too tainted to bet imo so you basically have just a gutter with close to no folding equity (unless some stat shows otherwise). If you would have BD flush I would consider it more.

Also, if you can estimate your opponent's range better and you realise he doesn't hit this texture, I also like cbetting but most often a call/call line means pairs and medium suited cards which never fold on this texture, not even A high with backdoors won't fold because you look like not hitting this board, imo anyway.